Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1



Martin Charnin has died

ddenoff2 Profile Photoddenoff2 Profile Photo
ddenoff2
Stand-by
joined:5/5/12
Stand-by
joined:
5/5/12
Martin Charnin has died#1
Posted: 7/7/19 at 6:19am
Apparently of a heart attack which occurred 7/3 and took him early this morning, according to his daughter sasha who posted on FB. Mahtin (as he liked to say it) was such a good man and kind friend to all of us and especially that little Orphan

Love to Sasha, his wife Shelly, and the family. This is such sad news

more updates soon
Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
joined:9/11/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
9/11/16
Martin Charnin has died#2
Posted: 7/7/19 at 11:31am

Annie was the first musical I ever saw live. Well before I started acting, the 1999 recording with Kathy Bates and Victor Garber was never far. RIP

AADA81 Profile PhotoAADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
Broadway Star
joined:1/15/11
Broadway Star
joined:
1/15/11
Martin Charnin has died#3
Posted: 7/7/19 at 12:06pm

It's easy to forget what an event the original production of 'Annie' was back in 1977, and it ran for many years.  I think the score to 'Annie' was one of the best of the '70s.  It was almost a throwback to the 1950s Golden Era because it was so tuneful and smart.  Far superior to most of its contemporaries.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
joined:9/20/18
Broadway Star
joined:
9/20/18
Martin Charnin has died#4
Posted: 7/7/19 at 1:14pm

The lyrics of ANNIE (and the score as a whole) are so underrated.

By all accounts, though, Charnin rivaled Arthur Laurents for the title of Most Authorotative Author Of A Classic Musical.

BwayLB
Broadway Star
joined:10/18/17
Broadway Star
joined:
10/18/17
Martin Charnin has died#5
Posted: 7/8/19 at 9:10am
Annie and Bye Bye Birdie are both equally wonderful. I’ve only seen their movie versions just not on stage. Except for a MTI Junior version of Annie. And I’ve seen just most of All Dogs Go To Heaven up until Let’s Make Music Together
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
joined:5/17/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/17/03
Martin Charnin has died#6
Posted: 7/8/19 at 2:13pm

I auditioned for him 20 years ago and he was so kind.  Much kinder than most directors I auditioned for in Chicago.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
joined:9/20/18
Broadway Star
joined:
9/20/18
Martin Charnin has died#7
Posted: 7/8/19 at 2:27pm

BwayLB said: "Annie and Bye Bye Birdie are both equally wonderful. I’ve only seen their movie versions just not on stage. Except for a MTI Junior version of Annie. And I’ve seen just most of All Dogs Go To Heaven up until Let’s Make Music Together"

He wasn't involved with BYE BYE BIRDIE (that was the great Lee Adams).

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
joined:2/27/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/27/06
Martin Charnin has died#8
Posted: 7/8/19 at 4:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "BwayLB said: "Annie and Bye Bye Birdie are both equally wonderful. I’ve only seen their movie versions just not on stage. Except for a MTI Junior version of Annie. And I’ve seen just most of All Dogs Go To Heaven up until Let’s Make Music Together"

He wasn't involved with BYE BYE BIRDIE (that was the great Lee Adams).
"

Nor was he involved with ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN in any capacity so I’m curious who they have him confused with.  

OKBroadwayFan Profile PhotoOKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
Broadway Star
joined:5/15/12
Broadway Star
joined:
5/15/12
Martin Charnin has died#9
Posted: 7/8/19 at 5:33pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "BwayLB said: "Annie and Bye Bye Birdie are both equally wonderful. I’ve only seen their movie versions just not on stage. Except for a MTI Junior version of Annie. And I’ve seen just most of All Dogs Go To Heaven up until Let’s Make Music Together"

He wasn't involved with BYE BYE BIRDIE (that was the great Lee Adams).
"

Nor was he involved with ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN in any capacity so I’m curious who they have him confused with.
"

Charles Strouse wrote the music for Bye Bye Birdie, Annie and All Dogs Go to Heaven

 

 

BwayLB
Broadway Star
joined:10/18/17
Broadway Star
joined:
10/18/17
Martin Charnin has died#10
Posted: 7/8/19 at 8:35pm
^ Exactly
JohnyBroadway
Broadway Legend
joined:4/10/12
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/10/12
Martin Charnin has died#11
Posted: 7/8/19 at 9:31pm
It’s Martin Charnin who has died. Not Charles Strouse.
BwayLB
Broadway Star
joined:10/18/17
Broadway Star
joined:
10/18/17
Martin Charnin has died#12
Posted: 7/8/19 at 10:05pm
My bad