THE BODYGUARD to Broadway - What Happened?

quizking101 Profile Photoquizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey guys,

So I saw Deborah Cox performing I Will Always Love You at the WorldPride Closing Ceremony last night and, maybe the ambience contributed to it, but I thought she freakin NAILED it.

She also sang something from Aida as well (I dont remember which song though) and spoke about how she dreamed of coming to Broadway and loves coming back.

So my question is was The Bodyguard only ever meant to tour, or did it have a Broadway trajectory in mind.
Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
zainmax
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Probably wanted to come to Bway after the tour, but the bad reviews/poor performance on the road lead to its demise.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photobwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I saw the tour launch at Paper Mill Playhouse. I am a huge fan of Deborah Cox, and I thought she was remarkable. Witnessing her performing those iconic songs was a great experience. However, outside of Cox, the show was REALLY bad. The book was horrendous, the set was dirt cheap, the projections were laughable. I can definitely see why this didn't come to Broadway.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
JeaniusIsMe Profile PhotoJeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I saw the tour when it came through Chicago and aside from Cox, it was atrocious. I described it to friends thus: "As a concert of Whitney Houston songs sung by Deborah Cox, it was a delightful evening. As a musical, it was a disaster."

You definitely got the good end of the deal just seeing Cox sing and not having to see the rest of the show along with it.
alovingfan Profile Photoalovingfan Profile Photo
alovingfan
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

It is a dreadful show.  

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I had a free ticket otherwise I'd never have gone. The "expanded" book w the sister rivalry was just soooo baaaadd.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
Alessio2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

The show was one of the worst things I ever saw when it played the Pantages in LA.  Also Cox must have been having an off night, she looked and sounded exhausted and over it.  Truly horrible all around.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photofashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What happened? Everyone associated with the show had a heart attack over the gunshot sound effect at the top of the show.

"The 54th Street[theatre] had a rep as. . .where old musicals went to die." -Smaxie
TheSassySam Profile PhotoTheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

You do not want to, or need to, ever see this dreadful show.

IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
THE BODYGUARD to Broadway - What Happened?#10
Posted: 7/2/19 at 11:04am

Cox was wonderful in a horrid production of a lifeless musical.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
THE BODYGUARD to Broadway - What Happened?#11
Posted: 7/2/19 at 11:14am

It was Jebus awful enough said 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It is probably the worst professional musical I've ever seen. But if they could get Jennifer Hudson signed on I'd be there front row centre to hear her perform this incredible catalog of songs. 

"It’s the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Impossible2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

qolbinau said: "It is probably the worst professional musical I've ever seen. But if they could get Jennifer Hudson signed on I'd be there front row centre to hear her perform this incredible catalog of songs."

As long as they got someone else to come on and do the acting scenes for her x

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Gurl, there is no acting required. This is like high-school level writing here. 

"It’s the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Impossible2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

qolbinau said: "Gurl, there is no acting required. This is like high-school levelwriting here."

LOL

Zamedy154
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

I'll pile on and agree. A truly awful piece of 'musical theatre.' Cox was the one and only highlight (and is genuinely a very nice person and gracious with her fans). The whole time I was watching it at Shea's in Buffalo I was thinking -- is this real, or am I trapped in some SNL skit of actors acting in a horrible production? It was laughable for all the wrong reasons.

LoriBelle2
Swing
Swing
I saw it in a London on vacation a few years ago and it was pretty good. Not sure what happened here.
Angpensa
Swing
Swing
It's playing in Long Island right now at the Gateway
https://www.broadwayworld.com/long-island/article/THE-BODYGUARD-THE-MUSICAL-Announced-At-The-Gateway-20190621
Dancingthrulife2 Profile PhotoDancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
THE BODYGUARD to Broadway - What Happened?#19
Posted: 7/2/19 at 10:18pm

I saw it in London and thought although it was not a good musical, it was at least fun for the most parts. Not sure what happened with the transfer though.

Updated On: 7/2/19 at 10:18 PM
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
THE BODYGUARD to Broadway - What Happened?#20
Posted: 7/2/19 at 11:09pm

We have a production coming through Jacksonville in a really small venue that even I haven't heard of.  I can't get any information off their website.  Is this a nonequity tour,  a regional tour, or even less?  If Deborah Cox is still in it, then I'm in.  If anybody knows anything, please educate me.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile PhotoBenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
THE BODYGUARD to Broadway - What Happened?#21
Posted: 7/2/19 at 11:19pm

I still haven't forgiven Cox for her performance in Jekyll & Hyde. 

She used up all her Aida goodwill with me by ruining those Wildhorn key changes.

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
THE BODYGUARD to Broadway - What Happened?#22
Posted: 7/2/19 at 11:23pm

qolbinau said: "Gurl, there is no acting required. This is like high-school levelwriting here."

No i'd put it lower like- a combo of reality show & soap opera all done on the cheap.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
matty159 Profile Photomatty159 Profile Photo
matty159
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this at Gateway today. Some lovely voices, but quite obvious why it didn’t make it to Broadway. The book is dreadful and in this production, at least, it didn’t know what time period it was in. It would be eviscerated by every critic in NYC and by everyone on this board. While I had fun (I mean, those songs!), I felt like I was gonna exit the auditorium and find myself on the Empress of the Seas or in front of a coaster at Six Flags. Credit where credit is due though...the cast was giving it their all and the audience seemed enamored. Again, the book is the problem. You could plop Queen Bey and Chris Pine into the leads and it would sell, but in the end all you got is Whitney’s great catalog.
Skip23 Profile PhotoSkip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
One of the few shows I’ve left at intermission (in FLA).

NTTC

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You missed “I’ll always love you?!!!”. To each their own lol.

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement