Page: 1

Have you ever attended the Tony’s

maya_40
Swing
Swing
Have you ever attended the Tony’s #1
Posted: 6/4/19 at 10:33pm

Have any of you ever actually attended the Tony awards? What was the experience like? Was it worth the cost of the tickets? For reference, I’m someone that is impressed to know I’m in the same room as people I admire and just being able to see them. (I know that kind of sounds weird but anyways) What are your thoughts?

bwaylvsong
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/4/19 at 11:09pm
I went in 2009, when they held a student rush lottery. My seat was in the highest balcony, but I could see everything fine, especially through the monitors hanging above the stage. It was a thrill to be there, but I didn’t get to see anyone other than the people sitting around me (aka no celebrity sightings, despite being in the same room as several). It was also a long ordeal- I believe I arrived at 6 and got out around 11:30, all the time wearing a tuxedo. It was absolutely worth the price I paid (I think $40), but I would only go again the traditional way (being in a nominated show, etc).
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/4/19 at 11:20pm
I attended the 60th Tony Awards in 2006.

It was a thrilling evening. Flew in and picked up my rented tux. We sat way up top but that didn't matter. And no, it does not sound weird that you are excited to be I the same room as people you admire. Julie Andrews walked out to present the final award and I almost died.

Some people have complained about the length and the down time in between segments but we had no problem with that. Things were going on and we were searching the audience below for celebs.

Walking out was a lot of fun. When we got to the main lobby we found ourselves walking out next to Brian F O'Byrne, Patrick Harris and Burkta among others.

A great night. Martinis before, a bit of a wait for security to get in, a great show (Especially since we saw most of the nominated shows and award winners) martinis after and we were floating on a cloud the rest of the night!
Just give the world Love.
SmoothLover Profile PhotoSmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/5/19 at 2:16am

I paid to sit in the top tier of the balcony one year with two of my friends. I think we paid 150 dollars each. It was a year when Hugh Jackman (I think) was hosting. We had a great time and the lobby was particularly fun because there were a ton of famous artists everywhere. Stephen Schwartz was up for Wicked and he came over and said hello because I had met him one summer after he had written Godspell. There are people who are paid to be seat fillers. I do not know who hires them. Perhaps it is through Radio City Music Hall.

Paul Skeen
Swing
Swing
Posted: 6/5/19 at 6:50am

Went last year and it was one of the most fun experiences I have had.  They let us enter around 6:00 and everyone was taking photos on the staircase. The pre-show awards started promptly at 7:00 until about 7:58. During commercial breaks for the live telecast they also handed out awards.I also had an upper level seat and the sightlines were still perfect. It is a long night, but I thought it flew by. 

Matthew V.
maya_40
Swing
Swing
Thanks for responses #6
Posted: 6/5/19 at 6:57am
All of these repsones are super interesting and exactly what I was hoping for . Maybe I'll save up enough to buy some tickets, maybe I will try and snag a seat filler position. Thanks so much!
Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for responses #7
Posted: 6/5/19 at 8:28am

how does one snag a seat filler position? I always thought the Tony Awards would be sold out. 

magictodo123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thanks for responses #8
Posted: 6/5/19 at 8:38am

Wick3 said: "how does one snag a seat filler position? I always thought the Tony Awards would be sold out."

RE: Being sold out: I just went on Ticketmaster and there are seats available--if you're willing to pay between $500-$700. You can also sign up to be a seatfiller on certain websites. I found this one...http://www.tvaudiences.tv/.

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for responses #9
Posted: 6/5/19 at 8:40am

Wick3 said: "I always thought the Tony Awards would be sold out."

That’s not what quite what “seat filler” means in this context. It’s not like papering a house. The idea is that the performers and presenters have to get up from their seats in the middle of the show to...well...perform and present. And because they do not want any empty seats to be visible on television, they pay people to temporarily sit in those empty seats while the performers and presenters are occupied. The seat-fillers don’t just get to sit and watch the show leisurely. They have constantly be getting up and moving around the theatre at the direction of the powers that be. 

magictodo123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thanks for responses #10
Posted: 6/5/19 at 8:46am

Exactly what JBroadway said. It's not a leisurely time where you get to watch the awards being presented. You might sit while a presenter goes up onstage, but I feel like you're constantly moving around to fill empty seats, and then moving around during commercial breaks so seats don't look empty when it comes back. It's more like work. 

cjmclaughlin10
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Thanks for responses #11
Posted: 6/5/19 at 8:47am

I loved gong back in the day when my dad was an executive. We always got orchestra seats on the isle (rows like TT, WW,SS and were usually behind/in front of design nominees, but one year I was in front of Boy George)

As you young kid (I think I had just finished 5th grade the first time we went in 2003) it was thrilling to watch all the work that goes into filming an event of this scale for television. It was also allot of fun to watch the set changes between production numbers

Anyway, in regards to paying the price of tickets, we only paid for one year (I wanted to be in the room one last time as an adult, it was also very important to me that I be able to use two hands to count the number of times I attended) and the seat was the front row of the first Mezz (different type of energy there, but a better view). I think if you really love a particular production/host/nominee, it is a special experience I can highly recommend

I have all my Tony Playbills/tickets framed and hung on my wall in front of my bed so they are the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning and need a little inspiration to keep following my dreams and doing what I love

PS, the ceremony never felt overly long to me. I would always make sure I ate a bigger meal earlier in the day and bring a protein bar in the pocket of my tux if I needed it 

Updated On: 6/5/19 at 08:47 AM
Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for responses #12
Posted: 6/5/19 at 9:16am

oh cool! I didn't know what a seat filler was but that makes sense. It does sound more like work and obviously you have to go alone and wear a tux as you'd be sitting in the prime space area. 

Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for responses #13
Posted: 6/5/19 at 10:07am

The Tonys?  No.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
UnwoundFantasies
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Thanks for responses #14
Posted: 6/5/19 at 10:22am

I’be been twice. My friend and I won the Tony student lottery in 2014 which was a fun time in itself, I wish they did that again. It was $40 I think for the top mezzanine but it was a perfect view and we had the best time. Saw plenty of nominated people on the way out too. Bought a ticket to go back the next year with some friends, and had an equally great experience. Perfect view, and still saw a lot of people. It’s a very unique and cool experience to see behind the scenes like the creative awards, the awards they give out during commercial breaks, and setting up for the upcoming performances etc. I thoroughly enjoyed both my experiences, and if tickets hadn’t ridiculously increased in price (I paid $300 in 2015 and this year the lowest price tickets were like $550), I’d definitely go back at some point. 

Personally, if you’re able to save up for it and go I would totally recommend it. Once in a lifetime experience. 

nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for responses #15
Posted: 6/5/19 at 12:12pm

Yes, my friend and I attended the 1998 show when "The Lion King" & "Cabaret" swept. It was a thrilling evening.  Rosie O was the host, and the opening number was a Diva salute with Betty B singing "Memory," Patti L singing "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" and Jennifer H singing "And I Am Telling You."

Our tickets were $125, and we were front row of the first balcony at Radio City.  We got fitted for our tuxes a few days before the show, after flying in from LA.  We were there for a week to see all the new shows.  

Angela Lansbury presented, Natasha Richardson won for "Cabaret."  It was quite an incredible night.  

Updated On: 6/5/19 at 12:12 PM
Theatrefanboy1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thanks for responses #16
Posted: 6/5/19 at 12:31pm
I went in 2014 and was lucky enough to get a ticket for part of my grad trip. For me it was thrilling. Rosie O’Donnell was being honoured and I loved dressing up and being apart of it. It was just one of those pinch yourself moments that no many fans get to experience. Once in a life time for sure. And I was surrounded by a great group of viewers as well. It was a crazy night.
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for responses #17
Posted: 6/5/19 at 12:49pm

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?