Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?

HamilHansen Profile PhotoHamilHansen Profile Photo
HamilHansen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#1
Posted: 5/19/19 at 9:09pm

I'm curious if there are any musical theater "jokes" (song wise or book wise) that didn't age well, have soured, or are currently just awful and don't land. 

HamilHansen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#2
Posted: 5/19/19 at 9:10pm

i"m sorry to everyone if I seem to be bombarding the boards recently, I just love Broadway like all of you and love sparking interesting (in my opinion at least) discussions. 

Rogerdellibovi Profile PhotoRogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
Stand-by
Stand-by
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#3
Posted: 5/19/19 at 11:12pm
Might be controversial but in Tootsie: “I’m a man in love! Pass me my bra!” Fell sooooo flat it sounds like a joke that would be made on Disney channel or by a third grade boy. For a show that had some great one-liners there were a couple that just made me roll my eyes.
alex814
Understudy
Understudy
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#4
Posted: 5/20/19 at 12:23am
Does anyone remember when Mean Girls first opened? I wonder if the line Regina’s mom says about the “Japanese closet organizing” landed as well as it did after Netflix released Marie Kondo’s Tidying Up series.
TotallyEffed Profile PhotoTotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#5
Posted: 5/20/19 at 12:43am

alex814 said: "Does anyone remember when Mean Girls first opened? I wonder if the line Regina’s mom says about the “Japanese closet organizing” landed as well as it did after Netflix released Marie Kondo’s Tidying Up series."

I didn’t find a single joke in that show to be funny.

SomethingPeculiar Profile PhotoSomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#6
Posted: 5/20/19 at 1:11am

Sometimes, there are jokes that don't work outside of the era of the show. In Mame and Bye Bye Birdie, for example, most 2019 audiences aren't going to laugh at jokes about Peter Lawford, Alice Toklas, Sammy Kaye, and Amos & Andy.

There were some insidery jokes in It's Only A Play that I'm sure went over the general public's head.

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#7
Posted: 5/20/19 at 1:33am
Showing the dismembered body of veruca salt
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#8
Posted: 5/20/19 at 2:08am

Call_me_jorge said: "Showing the dismembered body of veruca salt"

LOL

GeorgeandDot Profile PhotoGeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#9
Posted: 5/20/19 at 3:20am

DEAR GOD THAT IMAGE IS SEARED INTO MY MEMORY

BroadwayRox3588 Profile PhotoBroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#10
Posted: 5/20/19 at 3:52am

Dear Evan Hansen - "Love the outfit, Connor! Very school shooter-chic.

Just...no. There has been way too much gun violence in this country as of late, for that joke to be funny anymore. I saw the show on tour a couple weeks ago, and the theatre was filled with nervous laughter, as if they weren't sure whether they were supposed to laugh.

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#11
Posted: 5/20/19 at 7:51am

TotallyEffed said: "alex814 said: "Does anyone remember when Mean Girls first opened? I wonder if the line Regina’s mom says about the “Japanese closet organizing” landed as well as it did after Netflix released Marie Kondo’s Tidying Up series."

"

You didn’t find the line about the ‘woke’ seniors who did an essay on intersectional veganism or whatever it is funny? The mean girls script is very witty. Highly underrated musical. 

—-

I have seen n2n 10+ times and I’m always puzzled why people don’t often laugh at the “my husband’s waiting in the car” line. 

"It’s the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Brit33444
Swing
Swing
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#12
Posted: 5/20/19 at 9:25am
Christine's whole character in BMC...
VivianDarkbloom2 Profile PhotoVivianDarkbloom2 Profile Photo
VivianDarkbloom2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#13
Posted: 5/20/19 at 9:43am
Jorge, that’s exactly what I was going to say. No one laughed, everything got really quiet. It was the worst-landing joke I’ve ever seen on Broadway and I’ve been seeing shows for 25 years straight.
Another day, another dollar is the reality of my mentality. Otherwise, don't even bother.- TLC
carolinaguy Profile Photocarolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#14
Posted: 5/20/19 at 9:58am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Dear Evan Hansen- "Love the outfit, Connor! Very school shooter-chic.

Just...no. There has been way too much gun violence in this country as of late, for that joke to be funny anymore. I saw the show on tour a couple weeks ago, and the theatre was filled with nervous laughter, as if they weren't sure whether they were supposed to laugh.
"

This was the first thing that popped to mind for me. They really do need to change that line. I'm fine with a show pushing the envelope, but that's too far. Not only is it in poor taste, it derails the show for a scene or two.

I'm sending pictures of the most amazing trees/You'll be obsessed with all my forest expertise
temms Profile Phototemms Profile Photo
temms
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#15
Posted: 5/20/19 at 9:58am
GRAZIELLA: I and Velma ain't kid stuff, neither. Are we, Vel?
VELMA: No thank you-oo, ooblee-oo
GRAZIELLA: And you can punctuate it?
VELMA: Ooo!

?????
HamilHansen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#16
Posted: 5/20/19 at 10:01am

Oh God, Jorge, I forgot about that monstrosity of a "joke"

TheQuibbler Profile PhotoTheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#17
Posted: 5/20/19 at 10:13am
The entire book of Beetlejuice.
NYCblurb
Stand-by
Stand-by
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#18
Posted: 5/20/19 at 11:05am

qolbinau said: "TotallyEffed said: "alex814 said: "Does anyone remember when Mean Girls first opened? I wonder if the line Regina’s mom says about the “Japanese closet organizing” landed as well as it did after Netflix released Marie Kondo’s Tidying Up series."

"

You didn’t find the line about the ?woke’ seniors who did an essay on intersectional veganism or whatever it is funny? The mean girls script is very witty. Highly underrated musical.

—-

I have seen n2n 10+ times and I’m always puzzled why people don’t often laugh at the “my husband’s waiting in the car” line.
"

I thought this was fun - the graveyard of jokes from TOOTSIE the musical over the years as it came headed to Broadway:

https://www.facebook.com/TootsieMusical/videos/2338323089561006/

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#19
Posted: 5/20/19 at 12:55pm

qolbinau said:

I have seen n2n 10+ times and I’m always puzzled why people don’t often laugh at the “my husband’s waiting in the car” line."

I still don’t get that joke, actually. Is it a joke?

nasty_khakis
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#20
Posted: 5/20/19 at 12:59pm

TotallyEffed said: "qolbinau said:

I have seen n2n 10+ times and I’m always puzzled why people don’t often laugh at the “my husband’s waiting in the car” line."

I still don’t get that joke, actually. Is it a joke?
"

Yes, it is. At least how Ripley/Marin played it. They said it like they were a wife in an older movie who has an affair. The joke is she thinks Dr Madden is hitting on her so she pretends to be a movie heroine saying "Dr, we couldn't possibly make love right now! My husband is right outside! We could be caught it's so dangerous!" 

TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#21
Posted: 5/20/19 at 1:17pm
But the joke doesn’t make sense to me that way because the doctor said he was sure it’s the MEDICINE’S fault she’s not having a desire for sex, not her marriage.
Phillytheatreguy10 Profile PhotoPhillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#22
Posted: 5/20/19 at 2:04pm

Charlie's line in Kinky Boots, "I've never been good at anything, accept maybe snogging" always landed with a thud the 8 times I saw it. I don't think it translates to American audiences. 

nasty_khakis
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#23
Posted: 5/20/19 at 2:50pm

TotallyEffed said: "But the joke doesn’t make sense to me that way because the doctor said he was sure it’s the MEDICINE’S fault she’s not having a desire for sex, not her marriage."

It does. She thinks the doctor is bringing up her sex drive because he's coming on to her. I'm not saying it's a clear baffo-socko laugh riot of a joke, but it's a joke.

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#24
Posted: 5/20/19 at 2:54pm

Yeah part of the joke is that she takes his line to be hitting on her, when he clearly wasn't. But to be fair I don't blame anyone that doesn't seem to get it because audiences just don't seem to really get it, either. I'm surprised they didn't think about adjusting that line in previews. 

"It’s the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Tom5
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jokes In Musicals That...Just Don't Work?#25
Posted: 5/20/19 at 2:59pm

Maybe I'm humor warped but I thought the line "I'm a man in love! Hand me my bra!" was very funny. My problem with Tootsie was that it buried the story lead by exchanging all of America with a single Broadway house.