Page: 1

DYING CITY at Second Stage

NYfanfromCA Profile PhotoNYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
DYING CITY at Second Stage#1
Posted: 5/15/19 at 10:42am

Second Stage's Dying City at Tony Kiser Theatre started on May 14, 2019, and currently runs through June 30.

Dying City is written and directed by Christopher Shinn, and stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Colin Woodell.

Was anyone there last night?  Who is going?  

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DYING CITY at Second Stage#2
Posted: 5/15/19 at 11:12am
I was there last night.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is very good. She was the best aspect of the show by far. Very focused and grounded throughout. but her scene partner is awful. A very hammy, “actory” performance. No truth behind anything he said, not to mention his character is extremely annoying.

I thought the play was awful. Amateurishly written from beginning to end. The blend of politics and family drama feels forced and heavy-handed. The flashback structure had potential but just isn’t utilized very well. Most of the dialogue is exposition, and the male character tends to get the most dialogue, despite being a far less interesting character.

Can’t believe this was a Pulitzer finalist back when it premiered. It fits the bill thematically, but the actual quality is just not there IMO.

If you’re a big fan of Winstead, it might be worth going just for her, especially since the play is pretty short. But if she’s not a draw for you, this is a big ol’ skip.
JVJ93
Stand-by
Stand-by
DYING CITY at Second Stage#3
Posted: 5/15/19 at 12:31pm
I was also there last night. It felt like a mediocre college acting showcase. Winstead was very good but she couldn’t save the play from being an absolute drag and her scene partner didn’t help matters. When he plays the love interest, it’s almost as bad as soap opera quality.
tomwsjr
Stand-by
Stand-by
DYING CITY at Second Stage#4
Posted: 5/15/19 at 10:19pm
Why is this play being revived? I saw the original LCT production and all I remember about it is being bored out of my mind from such a slight/meaningless play.
LightsOut90
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DYING CITY at Second Stage#5
Posted: 5/16/19 at 12:34am

whelp Christopher Shinn stepped in to direct at the last minute, obviously a red flag from when they announced that change

mamaleh
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DYING CITY at Second Stage#6
Posted: 5/16/19 at 1:23am

All I remember from the LCT production was that Pablo Schreiber was mesmerizing.  I think I'll be skipping the Second Stage production. 

The Other One
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
DYING CITY at Second Stage#7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 6:50am

LightsOut90 said: "whelp Christopher Shinn stepped in to direct at the last minute, obviously a red flag from when they announced that change"

Was there a reason given for Lila Neuberger's departure?

MemorableUserName
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
DYING CITY at Second Stage#8
Posted: 6/4/19 at 3:19pm

The Hollywood Reporter review says she "dropped out to work on her first feature," the Jennifer Lawrence film she was announced in April to be directing.

As expected based on the early word, the reviews weren't great:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-What-Did-the-Critics-Think-of-DYING-CITY-20190604

Updated On: 6/4/19 at 03:19 PM
NYfanfromCA Profile PhotoNYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
DYING CITY at Second Stage#9
Posted: 6/8/19 at 2:50pm
I posted this on the Buy/Sell Board, but I’m selling my ticket for $30 if anyone wants to give the show a chance. PM me if you are interested.