Page: 1

The Prom...GO SEE IT!

BdwayLife
Understudy
Understudy
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#1
Posted: 5/7/19 at 7:18pm
Arrived home from a 6 show trip. Saw Beetlejuice, The Prom, Dear Evan Hansen, Tootsie, Come From Away, and Beautiful. I've seen many other shows over the years, and feel compelled to say how much I enjoyed The Prom.

This show soars. The ensemble members are some of the strongest I've ever seen--that choreography! Beth, Brooks, Angie and Christopher are opulent. The book is so strong. I laughed all night.

While driving home yesterday, I listened to the cast recording. I cried. This show has such heart.

I know that people sometimes post on here, asking what they should see. Go see The Prom. It deserves much more attention than it is currently receiving. I hope The Tonys give it the traction it needs to stay open for a long time.

Our world needs this show.
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#2
Posted: 5/7/19 at 7:29pm

I had a great time with it. The material isn't terribly strong, in my opinion, but the energy of the cast more than makes up for it. Beth Leavel, in particular, is hilarious and worth the whole thing.

Here I Am Profile PhotoHere I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#3
Posted: 5/8/19 at 2:52am

BdwayLife said: "Arrived home from a 6 show trip. Saw Beetlejuice, The Prom, Dear Evan Hansen, Tootsie, Come From Away, and Beautiful. I've seen many other shows over the years, and feel compelled to say how much I enjoyed The Prom.

This show soars. The ensemble members are some of the strongest I've ever seen--that choreography! Beth, Brooks, Angie and Christopher are opulent. The book is so strong. I laughed all night.

While driving home yesterday, I listened to the cast recording. I cried. This show has such heart.

I know that people sometimes post on here, asking what they should see. Go see The Prom. It deserves much more attention than it is currently receiving. I hope The Tonys give it the traction it needs to stay open for a long time.

Our world needs this show.
"

I second ALL of this! Oh, how the world needs this show!!

Rhoda4 Profile PhotoRhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
Understudy
Understudy
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#4
Posted: 5/8/19 at 8:42am

Every time I listen to the recording or think of the show.  I smile!

Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#5
Posted: 5/8/19 at 9:01am

I'm a fan of the show (have seen it 5 times) but will admit when friends visited last weekend, they all bypassed seeing the show since they all knew it will be on Netflix someday (they instead saw Tootsie, Hadestown, Beetlejuice, and Waitress.) Personally I wish Ryan Murphy made the Netflix announcement after the Tony Awards. 

Updated On: 5/8/19 at 09:01 AM
theaterdude2
Understudy
Understudy
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#6
Posted: 5/8/19 at 11:30am

I completely agree with you, everyone should go see THE PROM. I saw it just after it opened, and when I came back to NYC a month later for work, I went back to see it again. 

Don't listen to the haters who for some reason have the inability to just go have a good time. Not every musical is meant to be dissected and critiqued like the latest Sondheim. Sometimes you just need to go have fun and be entertained. 

If you are a lover of musicals, don't miss this. Everyone I've sent has loved it. 

Pashacar
Stand-by
Stand-by
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#7
Posted: 5/8/19 at 11:52am

Agreed! Saw the performance last night (Caitlin was replaced midway through Act II for health reasons, whoa) and it was a winning joy. A few ups and downs in the material, but so deeply funny and full of heart, with amazing turns by the leads such that the whole package really delivers.

Attendance was at about 85%, and though the audience was intensely enthusiastic, would have liked to see the house full – agree it should be getting more attention!

Rogerdellibovi Profile PhotoRogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
Stand-by
Stand-by
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#8
Posted: 5/8/19 at 12:05pm

I totally agree! I think it’s physically impossible to hear Barry Is Going to the Prom without smiling. The whole cast it top tier  

meredithchandler73
Stand-by
Stand-by
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#9
Posted: 5/8/19 at 4:00pm

Wick3 said: "I'm a fan of the show (have seen it 5 times) but will admit when friends visited last weekend, they all bypassed seeing the show since they all knew it will be on Netflix someday (they instead saw Tootsie, Hadestown, Beetlejuice, and Waitress.) Personally I wish Ryan Murphy made the Netflix announcement after the Tony Awards."

There has been no official word yet about whether any of the Broadway cast will be in the Netflix movie, but someone interviewing Angie Schworer assumed that the Broadway cast would be invited to be in the film and Angie said they were going to get movie stars. Link below (you have to scroll past the stuff about RuPaul's Drag Race).

http://www.newnownext.com/alaska-drag-race-dragcon/05/2019/

Once again - there has been no official word, but I'm not holding my breath that we'll get some or all of the Broadway cast in the movie. People really MUST go see the Broadway cast if they can - they are so perfect in their roles.

BdwayLife
Understudy
Understudy
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#10
Posted: 5/8/19 at 5:30pm

Rogerdellibovi said: "I totally agree! I think it’s physically impossible to hear Barry Is Going to the Prom without smiling. The whole cast it top tier"

When I close my eyes and picture Brooks singing and dancing on stage, the biggest smile comes across my face. :)

BdwayLife
Understudy
Understudy
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#11
Posted: 5/8/19 at 5:35pm

meredithchandler73 said: "Wick3 said: "I'm a fan of the show (have seen it 5 times) but will admit when friends visited last weekend, they all bypassed seeing the show since they all knew it will be on Netflix someday (they instead saw Tootsie, Hadestown, Beetlejuice, and Waitress.) Personally I wish Ryan Murphy made the Netflix announcement after the Tony Awards."

There has been no official word yet about whether any of the Broadway cast will be in the Netflix movie, but someone interviewing Angie Schworer assumed that the Broadway cast would be invited to be in the film and Angie said they were going to get movie stars. Link below (you have to scroll past the stuff about RuPaul's Drag Race).

http://www.newnownext.com/alaska-drag-race-dragcon/05/2019/

Once again - there has been no official word, but I'm not holding my breath that we'll get some or all of the Broadway cast in the movie. People really MUST go see the Broadway cast if they can - they are so perfect in their roles.
"

Thank you for this. I can't imagine anyone other than Beth or Brooks playing Dee Dee and Barry. Their roles were written for them! 

Zamedy154
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#12
Posted: 5/10/19 at 3:34pm

I echo just about everything in this thread.

I'll admit I haven't followed much about this show over the past year. In fact the one thing I remember most about it was the weird marketing last summer involving puppets (that was The Prom, right?)

I was in NYC last weekend and had time to see a Sunday matinee. I was debating between The Cher Show and The Prom. Everyone I asked said GO SEE THE PROM. And I'm SO GLAD I did. I think it's my new Hairspray/Kinky Boots-esque obsession.

As others have said, the show is fun, funny, relevant, timely, smart, cute, heart-warming, emotional. And needed. If I had seen this show when I was in high school, maybe I wouldn't have waited another five years to come out. I hope to God it tours this country from coast to coast in the not-too-distant future.

The entire cast was born to play their roles. Beth Leavel is a marvel. And I just LOVED how in the finale and during the curtain call she kept looking up to us ALL the way up in the balcony and acknowledging us time and time again. I thought that was really cool and classy, and I always remember little things like that. And the dancing from the company of fresh faces - WOW.

It's funny. I discovered this post today just after I downloaded 'It's Time To Dance.' I've been playing it on repeat all day.

This is a show made for musical theatre lovers like so many of us.

GO SEE THE PROM.

Updated On: 5/10/19 at 03:34 PM
scripps Profile Photoscripps Profile Photo
scripps
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The Prom...GO SEE IT!#13
Posted: 5/10/19 at 3:36pm

I am! I'm seeing it for the second time tonight! Looking forward to a fun time after this seemingly unending week ...