Laurie Metcalf and Rupert Everett in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

WayTooBroadway Profile PhotoWayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Updated with casting change, September 11, 2019: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rupert-everett-steps-broadway-revival-whos-afraid-virginia-woolf-1238725

- - -

http://www.playbill.com/article/laurie-metcalf-and-eddie-izzard-will-star-in-broadway-revival-of-whos-afraid-of-virginia-woolf

“Two-time Tony Award winner and Oscar nominee Laurie Metcalf (Hillary and Clinton) and Tony nominee Eddie Izzard (A Day in the Death of Joe Egg) will go head-to-head as Martha and George in a new production of Edward Albee’s Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, scheduled to open on Broadway April 9, 2020. Performances will begin March 2 at a theatre to be announced.”

With Russell Tovey and Patsy Ferran.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 9/11/19 at 08:47 AM
GeorgeandDot Profile PhotoGeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Interesting that they've gone with an entirely English cast except for Metcalf.
Hokosho
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

sigh didn't we just have one!

ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It feels like this gets revived every 3-5 years.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Scott Rudin, I love you. This is going to be an insane night of theater. This is one play that never gets old.
bjh2114 Profile Photobjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wonkit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

GeorgeandDot said: "Interesting that they've gone with an entirely English cast except for Metcalf."

In 2012 in London I saw LONG DAY's JOURNEY with an English cast and Metcalf as Mary. Astonishing.

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm having trouble seeing Metcalf as "blowsy".

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
Luscious Profile PhotoLuscious Profile Photo
Luscious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Genius casting! An absolute must see!

Express Yourself!
east side story Profile Photoeast side story Profile Photo
east side story
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

sabrelady said: "I'm having trouble seeing Metcalf as "blowsy"."

There is nothing that Metcalf cannot do.

Stage Door Sally Profile PhotoStage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Too soon. The revival with Tracy Letts et als was AMAZING. And yet, the theater was still half empty. 

So, why?

ColorTheHours048 Profile PhotoColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

sabrelady said: "I'm having trouble seeing Metcalf as "blowsy"."

I had trouble picturing Amy Morton as “blowsy” too and boy was I unimaginative. I think it’s interesting that our two most recent Marthas (not counting Imelda because that production was across the pond) are hard, gritty Chicago actresses - not at all the types we used to associate with a Martha, the “melons bobbling” archetype Liz Taylor made so iconic.

Updated On: 4/14/19 at 09:23 AM
haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hokosho said: "sigh didn't we just have one!"

Don't go?

troynow
Understudy
Understudy

Are there any black playwright, directors or other stars coming to broadway next season? I mean reallt! This is awful

Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There just weren't any available American actors in the entire continent ready willing and able to play these three roles.  They just had to go with British actors.  Is there some kind of Equity deal going on?  Or is Eddie Izzard's cache just that strong?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Play Esq. Profile PhotoPlay Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
Stand-by
Stand-by

How is this not blowing up everyones' collective minds???  Laurie as Martha and Eddie is returning to Broadway???  Either of those statements in isolation would bring me complete joy but both together make me want to do a backflip Laurie Metcalf and Eddie Izzard in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? 

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't think this role suits Izzard.

I wish they'd opted to revive Seascape.

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

troynow said: "Are there any black playwright, directors or other stars coming to broadway next season? I mean reallt! This is awful"

Theres literally been like 3 announced things thus far, relax. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile PhotoSomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

troynow said: "Are there any black playwright, directors or other stars coming to broadway next season? I mean reallt! This is awful"

Not many.

Tina written by Katori Hall and starring Adrienne Warren (and others)

Frankie & Johnny starring Audra McDonald

Hopefully there will be more to come. (A transfer of Slave Play has been widely rumored, with no confirmations)

David10086 Profile PhotoDavid10086 Profile Photo
David10086
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Isn't "Dreamgirls"  still being talked about as a transfer for next season? Or is that over and done with? 

ABitOnTheSide Profile PhotoABitOnTheSide Profile Photo
ABitOnTheSide
Stand-by
Stand-by
I am overjoyed with this casting. Laurie Metcalf is truly the queen of Broadway right now.
Niles Silvers
Stand-by
Stand-by

This should serve as a nice palate cleanser after her TV debacle.  

DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
GreasedLightning Profile PhotoGreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was hoping we’d have another Metcalf play at the Golden, but I guess if Slave Play does well this could also take the Booth? Or the Lyceum after A Christmas Carol?
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Interesting. I’d still prefer to see the two of them in a revival of “The Goat”, but Everett is excellent onstage so I’m stoked.