Page: 1

Magnolia/Kim

SamanthaCH
Swing
Swing
Magnolia/Kim#1
Posted: 2/24/19 at 4:32pm

Random question for all Show Boat lovers out there: In the original production (1927), Norma Terris played both Magnolia Hawks and her daughter, Kim. I really can't figure out how it worked. Aren't Magnolia and Kim together on stage (along Ravenaw) for the last scene(s) of the musical? 

Also, wouldn't it be wonderful to get a revival back on Broadway? It's been been over 20 years since the last one.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile PhotoAdo Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Magnolia/Kim#2
Posted: 2/24/19 at 4:39pm

Kim as an adult only appears in the final scene, where she does her Charleston. She goes offstage and the actress quick-changes back into older Magnolia. In the final moment, when Ravenal is reunited with his daughter, it's an ensemble actress wearing Kim's costume- her face is turned to the back of the stage.

SHOW BOAT is one of my all-time favorites and Magnolia is a dream role, but the show is done so infrequently that I'll probably never get to play her...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Magnolia/Kim#3
Posted: 2/24/19 at 11:23pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "SHOW BOAT is one of my all-time favorites and Magnolia is a dream role, but the show is done so infrequently that I'll probably never get to play her..."

I still think the Prince revival is the best version of the show. 

EdEval
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Magnolia/Kim#4
Posted: 2/26/19 at 10:07pm

I'd love to see a  revival that restores the Dahomey scene.  It comes near the end of Act1 at the Chicago fair scene.  Blacks portray Africans in native dress and dance/sing to a song Down Dahomey Way. Racist perhaps but historical and could be exciting.

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Magnolia/Kim#5
Posted: 2/27/19 at 1:12am
I really liked the recent New York Philharmonic concert adaptation. I’d love to see a full staging of that version.