Page: 1

Longacre Seating

Trina55
Stand-by
Stand-by
Longacre Seating#1
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:00pm

How bad is the balcony at the Longacre? After much research, I'm giving up on discounts and shelling out full price for The Prom tomorrow - debating whether to spend $130 for a bad seat in the rear mezz, or $70 for a truly crappy seat up in the balcony. Obviously I don't need a fantastic view (normally I just go with the cheapest option), but I hate being so far from the stage that I feel totally removed from the performance. Is it worth splurging or should I save the extra $60?

(I ran a search, but only found a thread from 10 years ago and I don't know if there have been any renovations, plus sometimes it just depends on the production.)

Thank you!

Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Longacre Seating#2
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:23pm

Balcony isn't that bad at the Longacre compared to other theaters. There are a few photos from the balcony shown here:

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Longacre+Theatre/

I believe The Prom still has a rush so consider doing that if you have some time to wait in the morning.

I've seen the show from all three levels and even though the balcony can be considered far for most people, the dancing, upbeat music, & comical content make it easier to connect. Remember there are 29 cast members and in a few songs almost all of htem are on stage dancing so it may be better to see the choreography from mezz or balcony.

mailhandler777
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Longacre Seating#3
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:25pm
I sat in the front row in the balcony and I wouldn't shell out $70 for that or any seat. It was a good seat if you leaned forward or were 7' tall and you weren't a million miles away from the stage. I did a discount code I believe or Today Tix. I can't remember which one.
Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Longacre Seating#4
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:28pm

In her Broadway.com blog Kaitlin did a view from the balcony. It didn't look bad to me personally. I do feel for the choreography and fast paced music (at least from what I've listened to) you should be all set. I was planning on doing balcony for this as well! 

ethan231h Profile Photoethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Longacre Seating#5
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:38pm

first row balcony is not terrible there just you need to lean forward. the rear mezz is not that bad so if you do not want to lean forward for 2 and a half hours then I say go with the rear mezz

Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Longacre Seating#6
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:44pm

Also, check out how much TKTS prices are tomorrow as those $180 orchestra tickets would be aorund $90 (which I think is worth the upgrade from sitting in the balcony for $70.)

Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Longacre Seating#7
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:50pm

Mike Barrett said: "In her Broadway.com blog Kaitlin did a view from the balcony. It didn't look bad to me personally. I do feel for the choreography and fast paced music (at least from what I've listened to) you should be all set. I was planning on doing balcony for this as well!"

oh you're right! I forgot about that. Video is below... jump to around 11:10 for the balcony view.

Trina55
Stand-by
Stand-by
Longacre Seating#8
Posted: 2/9/19 at 3:30pm
Update: Iím sitting in E18 - rear balcony off to the side - and I have PERFECT view!! Possibly even better than rear mezz, since the slope is so steep. Definitely recommend if youíre on a budget.

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Longacre Seating#9
Posted: 2/9/19 at 3:38pm

I have sat multiple times in every section of the theatre, and the absolutely worst seats are in the rear mezzanine.  There is just not enough elevation between rows.  If you get someone tall in front of you, you might as well go home, because you are going to barely see the stage and frustration will rise every time the person in front of you moves at all. 

I have sat in the balcony a number of times and have always found those seats to be very good even; the elevation between rows is good, and I have always felt -- more than any other second balcony theatre, bar none -- that they provide excellent sight lines.  You are not going to see subtle nuances in a facial expression, but you certainly don't have an issue with The Prom.

DiscoCrows Profile PhotoDiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
Understudy
Understudy
Longacre Seating#10
Posted: 2/16/19 at 2:07am

Is Row E in the Center Mezzanine too far back? I could bump a few rows up to a non-discounted section and sit in Row A Cen-Mezzanine or even Row C Cen-Orchestra, but I was planning on using the BroadwayBox.com discount code, which only works on Row E Mezzanine in this situation.

I really want great seats for this show, so I'm leaning towards caving a bit... would it be worth doing so (If so, should I go Orchestra or Mezz), or is Row E Mezzaine close enough that the elevation won't be an issue?

Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Longacre Seating#11
Posted: 2/16/19 at 7:38am

Given the choreography of the show, I think front row center mezz is the best seat in the house. 

I personally think row E mezz is fine. If you can see this show more than once, perhaps go for mezz row E for now, and a few months later go for front row center mezz? Just a thought.

DiscoCrows Profile PhotoDiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
Understudy
Understudy
Longacre Seating#12
Posted: 2/16/19 at 12:54pm
Iíll be there in June so (assuming itís still open) Iíll only be going once.

Thanks for the input- I appreciate it! Iíll probably cave and sit front row, center mezzanine!