Page: 1

When a actor is put on vocal rest.

DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #1
Posted: 2/6/19 at 2:42pm

So I am just curious. I was reading a post from project angel food. They said they had a fundraiser at "Hello, Dolly" this past week and that Betty met with them backstage and so on. In the post it had been said that Betty was on vocal rest but she still gave them a talk after. I am just curious.. Is vocal rest assigned by production? Or is it something the actor decides on themselves? And how is it monitored? Is their a production doctor involved?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtWixpFB6pS/

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #2
Posted: 2/6/19 at 2:44pm

BTW.. I do not have a link.  But that is a instagram picture to the same event.  

Ravenclaw
Stand-by
Stand-by
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #4
Posted: 2/6/19 at 3:09pm

"Vocal rest" is not really an official designation. As far as I know, no production can assign vocal rest. Often, doctors will suggest vocal rest, but that's also such a vague thing. Vocal rest can mean anything from taking time off from the show to recover or only using your voice during the show to just trying to limit the amount of talking you do offstage. Often, vocal rest is a self-imposed preventative measure. The vocal chords are muscles like any other--when your muscles feel sore, you're probably going to rest them, and if it becomes a serious issue, a doctor may be involved. 

HereAndThere2 Profile PhotoHereAndThere2 Profile Photo
HereAndThere2
Understudy
Understudy
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #5
Posted: 2/6/19 at 4:29pm

In the very early days of her career, during the Vietnam War, Betty Buckley toured Japan and Korea with a USO troupe.  There, she visited wounded soldiers and brought them a bit of comfort from home.  She has always been known to be a performer who gives freely and generously of her time.  No surprise, then, that vocal rest or not, she would spend a few moments with this worthy organization to voice her support of their cause.  She knows better than anyone what vocal limits she should observe.  Her beautiful voice is her instrument; she will take good care of it.  THANK  YOU  for everything,  Betty !!

carolinaguy Profile Photocarolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #6
Posted: 2/6/19 at 4:41pm

Waaaaaay back in the day, I remember reading that producer Garth Drabinsky put Chita Rivera on "vocal rest" during Kiss of the Spider Woman by forbidding her from making any public appearances other than the performances of the show in the run-up to the Tonys because her voice was giving out.

I'm sending pictures of the most amazing trees/You'll be obsessed with all my forest expertise
Bette's Turban Profile PhotoBette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #7
Posted: 2/6/19 at 5:48pm

HereAndThere2 said: "In the very early days of her career, during the Vietnam War, Betty Buckley toured Japan and Korea with a USO troupe. There, she visited wounded soldiers and brought them a bit of comfort from home. She has always been known to be aperformer who gives freely and generously of her time. No surprise, then, that vocal rest or not, she would spend a few moments with this worthy organization to voice her support of their cause. She knows better than anyone what vocal limits she should observe. Her beautiful voice is her instrument; she will take good care of it. THANK YOU for everything, Betty !!"

But back to the question about vocal rest.  I was under the impression that a producer could mandate a actor to go on vocal rest.  I seem to remember a old Liz Smith column about Lauren Bacall being placed on vocal rest for a few weeks during Woman Of The Year under protest. 

HereAndThere2
Understudy
Understudy
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #8
Posted: 2/6/19 at 6:19pm

Bette's Turban said: "But back to the question about vocal rest.  I was under the impression that a producer could mandate a actor to go on vocal rest. I seem to remember a old Liz Smith column about Lauren Bacall being placed on vocal rest for a few weeks during Woman Of The Year under protest."

You were "under the impression"?  You "seem to remember"?  Anything a little more definitive?

Updated On: 2/6/19 at 06:19 PM
RippedMan Profile PhotoRippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #9
Posted: 2/6/19 at 6:44pm
I recently did a show, and the 2 leads had very vocally demanding roles and wouldn’t not speak between shows. They’d sit in the green room and watch tv or something but wouldn’t speak.

I’m sure a producer can pretty much demand what they want - within reason - of an actor , especially during awards season. And the actors job is to perform the show. So it works hand in hand.

Steaming is a big thing now too.
Rainah
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #10
Posted: 2/6/19 at 6:47pm

I always figured it was pretty much between the actor, their doctor, and those running the show. A director can say "Go on vocal rest" but they don't control an actor outside of the show. Likewise, an actor can say "I need vocal rest" but a producer can still send them on the talkshow circuit.

I have a demanding job, and people go on 'stress leave' often. It's basically the emotional version of vocal rest, and it's determined in conversations with the worker, their supervisor, etc whether that is the best course of action.

One would hope that if an actor thinks they need vocal rest, a show would support that. One would hope that if a director or producer requests an actor go on vocal rest, they listen. And one would certainly hope that both would listen to a doctor's recommendation.

As for stories, when I was at the stagedoor for Great Comet security announced that Lucas was on vocal rest and would not be talking, but still wanted to stagedoor. It was actually kind of cute/wholesome, everyone telling him how wonderful he was and him nodding emphatically and giving enthusiastic thumbs up.

HereAndThere2
Understudy
Understudy
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #11
Posted: 2/6/19 at 6:59pm

RippedMan said: "Steaming is a big thing now too.

I attended a Betty Buckley concert a few years back.  My seat was very near the stage.  On a table next to her was a cup of hot tea.  I knew it was tea, because I was close enough to smell it.  She sipped the tea now and then, and made a comment to the effect that the tea was for her voice.  I have no way of knowing, but I would not be surprised if she has a cup of hot tea waiting for her each time she exits the stage during "Dolly".

BroadwayPrincess3 Profile PhotoBroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
Understudy
Understudy
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #12
Posted: 2/6/19 at 7:11pm

HereAndThere2 said: "RippedMan said: "Steaming is a big thing now too.

I attended a Betty Buckley concert a few years back. My seat was very near the stage. On a table next to her was a cup of hot tea. I knew it was tea, because I was close enough to smell it. She sipped the tea now and then, and made a comment to the effect that the tea was for her voice. I have no way of knowing, but I would not be surprised ifshe has a cup of hot tea waiting for her each time she exits the stage during "Dolly".

"

That also could have been throat coat - I believe it comes in teabag form. From the videos I’ve seen, it seems pretty popular amongst broadway performers. 

DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #13
Posted: 2/7/19 at 3:03pm

Rainah said: "I always figured it was pretty much between the actor, their doctor, and those running the show. A director can say "Go on vocal rest" but they don't control an actor outside of the show. Likewise, an actor can say "I need vocal rest" but a producer can still send them on the talkshow circuit.

I have a demanding job, and people go on 'stress leave' often. It's basically the emotional version of vocal rest, and it's determined in conversations with the worker, their supervisor, etc whether that is the best course of action.

One would hope that if an actor thinks they need vocal rest, a show would support that. One would hope that if a director or producer requests an actor go on vocal rest, they listen. And one would certainly hope that both would listen to a doctor's recommendation.

As for stories, when I was at the stagedoor for Great Comet security announced that Lucas was on vocal rest and would not be talking, but still wanted to stagedoor. It was actually kind of cute/wholesome, everyone telling him how wonderful he was and him nodding emphatically and giving enthusiastic thumbs up.
"

In the past there have been announcements of so and so being on vocal rest.  I believe ( and I might be wrong) that it had happened with Ben Platt at some point.  I always thought it was decided on by the producers as a way to protect their show.  

Bette's Turban Profile PhotoBette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #14
Posted: 2/7/19 at 4:59pm

RippedMan said: "I recently did a show, and the 2 leads had very vocally demanding roles and wouldn’t not speak between shows. They’d sit in the green room and watch tv or something but wouldn’t speak.

I’m sure a producer can pretty much demand what they want - within reason - of an actor , especially during awards season. And the actors job is to perform the show. So it works hand in hand.

Steaming is a big thing now too.
"

I’ve seen that steaming thing everywhere .  I’m curious as to what performers did in the old days?  I don’t think Merman steamed  or took vocal rest.

Emmaloucbway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #15
Posted: 2/7/19 at 5:22pm

DAME said: "Rainah said: "I always figured it was pretty much between the actor, their doctor, and those running the show. A director can say "Go on vocal rest" but they don't control an actor outside of the show. Likewise, an actor can say "I need vocal rest" but a producer can still send them on the talkshow circuit.

"

In the past there have been announcements of so and so being on vocal rest. I believe ( and I might be wrong) that it had happened with Ben Platt at some point. I always thought it was decided on by the producers as a way to protect their show.
"

And Ethan Slater was on vocal rest during Spongebob. 

GavestonPS Profile PhotoGavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #16
Posted: 2/8/19 at 2:54am

DAME said: "...In the past there have been announcements of so and so being on vocal rest. I believe ( and I might be wrong) that it had happened with Ben Platt at some point. I always thought it was decided on by the producers as a way to protect their show."

Yes, Platt put out a statement about it and it was much discussed here. IIRC, he missed three days/four shows or thereabouts shortly before the Tonys.

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When a actor is put on vocal rest. #17
Posted: 2/8/19 at 7:20am

Peters did not speak off stage on matinee days of "Gypsy," and even met and signed without talking. Singers know when and how to protect themselves. Even indefatigable voices like Menzel's give out sometimes, as she has admitted, though she claims singing correctly actually strengthens her instrument. A friend who is an ex-opera singer with NYCO used to remind me that the voice originates in a very, very small piece of tissue. Though everything around it can be expertly tended to (muscles, lungs, throat, diaphragm), they're still a bit mysterious, those chords.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
petey_p
Swing
Swing
How dare you!#18
Posted: 2/8/19 at 7:34am

Yes! Please provide paper work and witnesses immediately! This chat board is not a place for idle speculation or supposition! Where do you think you are? Washington?!?

DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vocal Rest#19
Posted: 2/8/19 at 12:19pm

petey_p said: "Yes! Please provide paper work and witnesses immediately! This chat board is not a place for idle speculation or supposition! Where do you think you are? Washington?!?"

?

SonofRobbieJ Profile PhotoSonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vocal Rest#20
Posted: 2/8/19 at 12:36pm

I've had a personal steamer for the last 20 years, so they're not that new in terms of what people are using in order to aid in keeping their voices healthy.  The best thing one can do is to do gentle warm-ups using semi-occluded vocal exercises: humming, blowing through the lips and, the mack-daddy of all, the use of a straw, either by humming through the straw or blowing through the straw into a glass of water.  I don't know the full science behind it...my new voice teacher is a big proponent.  It helps to relax the muscles involved and helps control the air flow so you're not ever pushing air more than necessary.  Recently, I sang a gig on a day when my chords were feeling a little rough.  I spent 20 minutes both humming through the straw and blowing through the straw in my water bottle and it was amazing how much a life-save this was.

I've never had to go on vocal rest for a musical.  There was a very vocally demanding play in a small theater where the air conditioning was blowing right on me that caused me to start to lose my voice.  It's the one time I went on prednisone for the rest of the (blessedly short) run. 

DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vocal Rest#21
Posted: 2/8/19 at 1:09pm
Linda Eder talked about cortisone. Is it similar ?
SonofRobbieJ Profile PhotoSonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vocal Rest#22
Posted: 2/8/19 at 1:37pm

Similar, yes.  You are limited to the number of cortisone injections you can have in a year due to damage it can do to your body.  Taking prednisone should also be a rare occasion.  I've taken prednisone numerous times, but only once for vocal production. 

When we were discussing RENT live, I brought up how rough Valentina's voice sounded during Today 4 U.  I believe it was a disservice to him to air that performance of the dress rehearsal as he would have had the opportunity to address it for the live show with a doctor...cortisone and maybe some B12.  Steroids should be used sparingly as they can have adverse affects.  A one night performance of Rent Live on Fox would have been the perfect time to employ cortisone if you were experiencing vocal distress.