Page: 1

My bi yearly reminder that Into the Woods Live would be amazing

rattleNwoolypenguin
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

It lends itself really well to live filming and it would be really fun to see cameras maneuver around a crazy set of woods.

It's possible this show has always been needing a live version to really have it feel immersive in the way the movie wanted to be and the way proscenium theatre can't be.

SomethingPeculiar Profile PhotoSomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think trying to do a film/theatre hybrid like RENT could actually take away from the experience: the feeling of isolation in the woods isn't there if you're surrounded by 1,000 people screaming YAAAAS every time the witch sings.

The film is also so recent that I can't imagine a lot of star actors would jump at the chance to do it. (It seems like they had a similar problem with Hairspray, according to Harvey, and got really lucky with Ariana Grande and JHud)

JBC3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
After RENT I hope to never again see a live musical on television
Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think that ITW would get lousy ratings (at least after the second commercial).  Its score is just not accessible  to a typical TX audience.  If they are going to try Sondheim (music and lyrics), I can't actually imagine too many (any?) that'd get good ratings.  Maybe Passion or Assassins (he said snarkily).  

I have to admit that I have hated every live production of ITW that I have seen to date...and have loved many.  HE just doesn't have broad audience appeal and never will.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile PhotoGiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think ITW would be a poor choice, the same reason I think RENT was a poor choice - theres already a major motion picture, as well as a DVD of Broadway productions for both of these shows.

Why keep rehashing and redoing something that has already been preserved, especially when you cant promise that it will be actually as good (or better) than what weve already seen?

There are SO many shows out there that dont have either of these and should have a chance at a permanent recording of some sort. People complain about revivals and things being done again and again, lets do something that will be fresh and interesting.
I am big. Itís the REVIVALS that got small.
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Doesn't matter if it would actually turn out good or not, people are just going to hate-watch it regardless.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

JBC3 said: "After RENT I hope to never again see a live musical on television"

Seems to require zero hope, just don't tune in...

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile PhotoGiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

everythingtaboo said: "Doesn't matter if it would actually turn out good or not, people are just going to hate-watch it regardless."

Oh, I love me some hate watching - but the RENT broadcast was so boring that I couldn’t make it past Today 4 U. Nothing exciting for even worth hating per say - just boring. 

I am big. Itís the REVIVALS that got small.
A Director
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jarethan said: "I think that ITW would get lousy ratings (at least after the second commercial). Its score is just not accessible to a typical TX audience. If they are going to try Sondheim (music and lyrics), I can't actually imagine too many (any?) that'd get good ratings. Maybe Passion or Assassins (he said snarkily).

I have to admit that I have hated every live production of ITW that I have seen to date...and have loved many. HE just doesn't have broad audience appeal and never will.
"

Jarethan - What is a typical Texas audience? Of the shows where Sondheim has written both music and lyrics, INTO THE WOODS has the most productions.  It is performed in high school, university, community and professional theatres all over the country (even in Texas).

theaterlyfe19
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

The only problem with these is that instead of going into it with an open mind, people will be critical no matter what. They likely won't even give it a chance if they hear the casting and don't like those performers. Don't you think they have to audition and are cast based on ability to do the role justice?

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

theaterlyfe19 said: "Don't you think they have to audition and are cast based on ability to do the role justice?"

Literally no. They're often cast based on who will bring in the biggest ratings.

haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CATSNYrevival said: "Literally no. They're often cast based on who will bring in the biggest ratings."

Who in RENT was going to bring in huge ratings?

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

haterobics said: "Who in RENT was going to bring in huge ratings?"

I didn't mean Rent, specifically. They certainly didn't get anyone as big as Carrie Underwood, but it's not like Vanessa Hudgens, Jordan Fisher, Tinashe and Mario are a bunch of total unknowns either. I have to assume they were hoping someone like Valentina was going to generate viewers or they wouldn't have bothered casting a reality tv drag queen in the first place.

haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CATSNYrevival said: "but it's not like Vanessa Hudgens, Jordan Fisher, Tinashe and Mario are a bunch of total unknowns either."

But it's not quite Justin Timberlake as Mark with Ariana Grande as Mimi.. The people they had are names, but not quite celebrities.

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A Director said: "Jarethan said: "I think that ITW would get lousy ratings (at least after the second commercial). Its score is just not accessible to a typical TX audience. If they are going to try Sondheim (music and lyrics), I can't actually imagine too many (any?) that'd get good ratings. Maybe Passion or Assassins (he said snarkily).

I have to admit that I have hated every live production of ITW that I have seen to date...and have loved many. HE just doesn't have broad audience appeal and never will.
"

Jarethan - What is a typical Texas audience? Of the shows where Sondheim has written both music and lyrics, INTO THE WOODS has the most productions. It is performed in high school, university, community and professional theatres all over the country (even in Texas).

Auto-correct issue.  I was not referring to Texas and honestly can not figure out what TX could be a substitute for.  I know there is a way to turn off auto-correct on a MAC, but damned if I can figure out how.  I would rather have a readable typo than an auto-correction that does not have anything to do with what I am trying to say.  Regardless, I still do not think that ITW would get anything better than abysmal ratings unless, maybe, it had the most all-star cast of all time.

GavestonPS Profile PhotoGavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^^ Or it might get decent ratings in the desired demo in Act I (it HAS been done by every school or community group in the country) and then be drowned out by sounds of millions of remotes clicking during Act II.

(Yes, I love the show and, yes, I know Act II is the point. But most audiences still find it trying.)