Advertisement

Page: 1

Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window

Justin_
Understudy
Understudy

I keep going back and forth between liking it, and not knowing what I'm listening to. I think she sounds really good herself... but I think I'm not super sold on the arrangement. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqbzeF3Y28

RippedMan Profile PhotoRippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why does this exist?
BroadwayRox3588 Profile PhotoBroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

RippedMan said: "Why does this exist?"

Don't let the Katy Perry stans hear you say that, they've been relentless today LOL

gypsy101 Profile Photogypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
honestly surprised she’s still around tbh
"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Valentina3 Profile PhotoValentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

RippedMan said: "Why does this exist?"

Both of Pasek & Paul recent hit albums have come up with "Deluxe" albums, with pop-celebrities covering The Greatest Showman and then this. Wonder if we'll see a La La La Land  (with an extra La, because I'm very good at stupid puns and explaining my bad jokes unironically).

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
SomeOtherMe Profile PhotoSomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#6
Posted: 11/2/18 at 10:39am
I don’t mind it, personally. The arrangement is a little strange but her vocals are good and she ends it strong. I actually find Katy rather likeable most of the time. I can’t call myself a huge fan, but she has certainly proved plenty of her doubters wrong through the years.
Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And the whole deluxe album is now available digitally (at least via Apple Music). I’ve been looking for it, but finally found it via the Katy Perry version of WTAW.
dramagoer
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

This would have been more exciting 5 or 7 years ago, to have Katy Perry. Now it feels a little desperate. 

Broadway Joe Profile PhotoBroadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well that was absolutely horrid.
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#10
Posted: 11/2/18 at 4:41pm

I didn’t think it is horrid, but it’s definitely not an improvement on the original, but then again I think the original is pretty much perfection. It also doesn’t do much different or interesting with the song, but I think it’s serviceable. Of course, I suppose I could be considered a Katy Perry fan so I might be more forgiving than others.

Of the bonus tracks, only “Part of Me” and “In The Bedroom Down the Hall” resonate with me. At least so far. The acoustic version of Disappear is also very nice. Maybe repeated listenings will reveal more resonance to the other bonus tracks. But I absolutely love Part of Me.

P.S. I’m seeing a university production of Dogfight tomorrow afternoon. I’m looking forward to it. It’ll be my first time seeing it and I don’t believe I’ve heard the music before.

Updated On: 11/3/18 at 04:41 PM
Impossible2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#11
Posted: 11/2/18 at 5:49pm

Was no one who could actually sing available?

BwayLB
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#12
Posted: 11/2/18 at 7:06pm
Her vocals are raw but the arrangement needs a bit of work
RippedMan Profile PhotoRippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#13
Posted: 11/3/18 at 1:58am

I'm actually quite a fan of her voice, and having seen her live with just a guitar, I think she's got an interesting quality to her voice. But, as a fan, she does seem an odd choice for this. 

RE: "Dogfight." I think that is their best work, and am curious to hear your review. I listen to it every now and then, and kind of wish they would take another look at it .

Melissa25 Profile PhotoMelissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#14
Posted: 11/3/18 at 8:34am

Enjoyed Dogfight as well and listen to it periodically.  Hope we get to see it at Encores Off Center soon.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photobroadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#15
Posted: 11/3/18 at 10:14am

this exists because they wanted to highlight 'Waving Through Windows" for the national tour which is now going on...and i love it!!..KATY PERRY knocks this wonderful song out of the park...

Broadwayeveryday2
Swing
Swing
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#16
Posted: 11/3/18 at 6:07pm
I don’t mind the arrangement or Katy Perry. She sounds very good and sings with lots of emotions. My only thing is that it sounds artificial as if it has been far too auto tuned and tampered with. This is how the DEH cast recording sounds as well. On the other hand, this show is so overdone. The source material is brilliant but there is no need for a novelization or an album with pop stars singing everything. I love the script and besides the auto tune I enjoy the cast album.
amoni Profile Photoamoni Profile Photo
amoni
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#17
Posted: 11/3/18 at 7:09pm
I always say some theater fans have no idea life exists off W45th Street. To normal people this doesn't sound strange. To some of you it does because nothing matters but the original cast album. This is a POP version of the song. She is not singing it in character just like Streisand wasn't Grisabella singing "Memory". More people covering the song is a good thing.
LuPita2 Profile PhotoLuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#18
Posted: 11/3/18 at 7:21pm

What an a horrible sound. Oh my God. However, the other bonus tracks are excellent and are not garbage.  

Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Katy Perry singing Waving Through a Window#19
Posted: 11/3/18 at 8:02pm

RippedMan said: "I'm actually quite a fan of her voice, and having seen her live with just a guitar, I think she's got an interesting quality to her voice. But, as a fan, she does seem an odd choice for this.

RE: "Dogfight." I think that is their best work, and am curious to hear your review. I listen to it every now and then, and kind of wish they would take another look at it .
"

Since a couple people here expressed interest and it seemed ridiculous to start a new thread even if my post doesn’t fit the original intent of this thread, I just wanted to share my brief thoughts on Dogfight after seeing the University of Oklahoma’s production at the matinee today. I was thoroughly impressed. It was a 3/4 in-the-round theater and I was front row so it was very intimate. The set was minimal, yet effective. The cast was phenomenal, especially the actors playing Birdlace (Daryl Tofa) and Rose (Katja Rivera Yanko).  I laughed, I applauded at least a couple times with solidarity with the female characters, and I teared up a couple times. What impressed me most is that I find very few similarities between P&P’s other works although I did feel some homages to other musical theater predecessors (Sondheim’s Sweeney in some brief passages, most notably). All in all, I had a great time. And for only $35.  I’m thinking about going again. 

Updated On: 11/3/18 at 08:02 PM