Page: 1

Off Broadway Shows Winning Tonys Trend Over?

funhamilton_rent
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I noticed that the Best Musical Tony winner in the past 4 years has originally had a run off-Broadway, did exceptionally well & moved to Broadway the next season. (Fun Home, Hamilton, DEH, TBV) I’m not all too familiar with the Off-Bway scene but are there any shows that are transferring might announce a Bway run?
Clyde15
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I don’t know if you would count it because of it’s numerous tryouts and workshops but Hadestown seems to be a front runner if it announces a broadway run
gypsy101 Profile Photogypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

i think Hadestown is eyeing a Broadway run within the next year or so, it began in Broadway. i love the recording so i could see the trend continuing.

edit: oops didn’t see the poster above me said basically the same thing

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 6/11/18 at 09:46 PM
ethan231h Profile Photoethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think the shows to watch right now off broadway is Be More Chill and This ain't no disco.

Robbie2 Profile PhotoRobbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

HADESTOWN is next...

http://www.hadestown.com/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Robbie2 Profile PhotoRobbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

HADESTOWN is next...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Elegance101 Profile PhotoElegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ethan231h said: "I think the shows to watch right now off broadway is Be More Chill and This ain't no disco."

I'd be shocked if Be More Chill comes to Broadway, but stranger things have happened.

willrolandsframes
Stand-by
Stand-by

Elegance101 said: "ethan231h said: "I think the shows to watch right now off broadway is Be More Chill and This ain't no disco."

I'd be shocked if Be More Chill comes to Broadway, but stranger things have happened.
"

I wouldn't be shocked to see Iconis work towards a transfer if it sells well at Signature. It isn't exactly a secret that this show has an absurd cult following. If there's a producer out there who thinks that they can lure the cult followers to their theater eight times a week, then I could easily see it transferring. However, this summer production will be very key to the show's long-term future.

If anyone knows how it is selling, please share that info.

funhamilton_rent
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I also really don’t think Be More Chill is anything close to Tony worthy...
Elegance101 Profile PhotoElegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Off Broadway Shows Winning Tonys Trend Over?#10
Posted: 6/11/18 at 11:18pm

The teenage stans aren't a strong ticket-buying market. Most of them have never even been to New York and they have hardly ever seen the shows they're so obsessed with. Dear Evan Hansen and Hamilton have fanatic "stans," but that's not who's filling the house 8 times a week.

If teenage fans kept shows thriving, SpongeBob would be the hardest show to get tickets for in town and Great Comet would still be open.

msmp Profile Photomsmp Profile Photo
msmp
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Robbie2 said: "HADESTOWN is next...

"

I'm surprised they still haven't announced casting for the West End yet, let alone Broadway.