What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?

BroadwayConcierge Profile PhotoBroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Broadway Legend
joined:7/24/15
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/24/15
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#1
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:09pm

This article says demolition and construction begins at the Palace on September 15. Will SpongeBob move elsewhere (maybe the Marquis)? Or just close shop Labor Day weekend?


https://therealdeal.com/2018/06/06/tsx-broadways-developers-say-completed-project-will-be-worth-4-2b/

Updated On: 6/8/18 at 02:09 PM
(Insert Clever Name) Profile Photo(Insert Clever Name) Profile Photo
(Insert Clever Name)
Broadway Star
joined:8/24/17
Broadway Star
joined:
8/24/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#2
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:14pm

If it wins best musical, it should stay open. If it does not... well then we really cannot predict what nickelodeon will do. It all depends on costs and pride of having a franchise on broadway and it not be god awful.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile PhotoBroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
Broadway Legend
joined:10/5/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
10/5/16
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#3
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:16pm

The short answer to the thread title is, whatever Nickelodeon wants it to be.

uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
joined:5/13/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/13/04
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#4
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:16pm
The uptown rear 49th steet subway exit sits right under this. I suspect that exit will be closed. That will suck.

Jusg mh opinion, but I think this is ridiculous.
Just give the world Love.
BroadwayConcierge Profile PhotoBroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Broadway Legend
joined:7/24/15
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/24/15
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#5
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:17pm

(Insert Clever Name) said: "If it wins best musical"

Chances are slim to nonexistent on that one. 

BroadwayGuy12 Profile PhotoBroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
Broadway Star
joined:12/22/07
Broadway Star
joined:
12/22/07
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#6
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:17pm

Tickets are currently on sale through 9/2. I expect they'll run through the summer and then close up shop.

JSquared2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/23/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/23/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#7
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:20pm

It also depends on the producers' theater contract with the Nederlanders.  If the contract states that they have to be out by a certain date if the construction project proceeds, then they have no recourse.  However if the contract doesn't have that provision (which is VERY unlikely), and they manage to stay above the "stop clause", then the Nederlanders would either need to negotiate a buyout, or else pay to move them to another suitable theater (the Marquis)?

zainmax
Broadway Star
joined:1/12/17
Broadway Star
joined:
1/12/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#8
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:03pm

Interesting! "Nickelodeon and the other producers of SpongeBob declined to comment on the situation."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marchershberg/2018/06/08/palace-theatre-renovations-could-force-spongebob-to-seek-new-home/#6a785bdc3f6c

haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
joined:3/29/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/29/14
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#9
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:25pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "This article says demolition and construction begins at the Palace on September 15."

It also says they haven't yet raised the $300M they need to start construction.

Joshua Boyd-Williams
Chorus Member
joined:3/30/17
Chorus Member
joined:
3/30/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#10
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:26pm

Here's where I'm at. Because this has been announced to close the Palace Theatre on September 15th, and seeing as how Spongebob is only selling tickets til the 2nd, why exactly haven't they announced a closing or a possible (but not likely) move? It doesn't seem like they're gonna be releasing more tickets, especially with this construction moving forward. Also seeing as how they're not doing the best at the box office, would it really be worth it to move to another location? Maybe if their ticket sells do improve a lot, it's a possibility. Even though it's most likely that they won't win best musical, if anything they would come in close second to The Bands Visit, I wonder if any other tony wins would help the show. 

Fosse76
Broadway Legend
joined:3/21/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/21/05
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#11
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:31pm

I thought they had cancelled that project. Well, they are only selling tickets through the beginning of September, so they don't really have to announce anything until August.

zainmax
Broadway Star
joined:1/12/17
Broadway Star
joined:
1/12/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#12
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:32pm

The move might not be lined up, and, with Tony voters casting their ballots, they definitely weren't going to announce their closing. The renovations allows Nick to save face, and blame the real estate developers instead of poor sales.

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
joined:12/4/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/4/07
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#13
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:42pm

Joshua Boyd-Williams said: "Here's where I'm at. Because this has been announced to close the Palace Theatre on September 15th, and seeing as how Spongebob is only selling tickets til the 2nd, why exactly haven't they announced a closing or a possible (but not likely) move? It doesn't seem like they're gonna be releasing more tickets, especially with this construction moving forward. Also seeing as how they're not doing the best at the box office, would it really be worth it to move to another location? Maybe if their ticket sells do improve a lot, it's a possibility. Even though it's most likely that they won't win best musical, if anything they would come in close second to The Bands Visit, I wonder if any other tony wins would help the show."

 

While many shows see an uptick in sales after the tonys (from sheer exposure) the only one that seems to make a real difference is winning best new musical.    

 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
joined:8/1/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/1/05
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#14
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:55pm

The article also says that The DoubleTree Hotel will close in September.  But, they are taking reservations well into next year....

S394206H Profile PhotoS394206H Profile Photo
S394206H
Understudy
joined:3/10/18
Understudy
joined:
3/10/18
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#15
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:07pm
Part of Spongebob’s poor sales is that they have trouble filling the giant Palace... a move to a smaller theatre may actually be better for Nickelodeon if they choose to keep it open.
God, the almighty and all-knowing, has misplaced a cup?
zainmax
Broadway Star
joined:1/12/17
Broadway Star
joined:
1/12/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#16
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:18pm

Reservations can always be cancelled and refunded.

Alex M Profile PhotoAlex M Profile Photo
Alex M
Broadway Star
joined:11/16/13
Broadway Star
joined:
11/16/13
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#17
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:26pm

I really wish that Spongebob just had started in a smaller house to begin with. The reason why ticket sales aren't great is because of the size of the Palace. I was really hoping that they would have taken the Walter Kerr because that would have been the perfect size to fit in audiences....Oh well.

BroadwayBeebe
Featured Actor
joined:2/10/16
Featured Actor
joined:
2/10/16
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#18
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:30pm
A friend involved with the production told me that out of the 41 houses, Spongebob could only fit into 5 of them due to the size of the production. I know the Lyric and Gershwin were two, but those were never open options. If they were planning on moving houses, they only have two other choices. I wish I could remember what they were.
Alex M Profile PhotoAlex M Profile Photo
Alex M
Broadway Star
joined:11/16/13
Broadway Star
joined:
11/16/13
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#19
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:32pm

BroadwayBeebe said: "A friend involved with the production told me that out of the 41 houses, Spongebob could only fit into 5 of them due to the size of the production. I know the Lyric and Gershwin were two, but those were never open options. If they were planning on moving houses, they only have two other choices. I wish I could remember what they were."

Probably St James and Shubert?

zainmax
Broadway Star
joined:1/12/17
Broadway Star
joined:
1/12/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#20
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:37pm

Alex M said: "BroadwayBeebe said: "A friend involved with the production told me that out of the 41 houses, Spongebob could only fit into 5 of them due to the size of the production. I know the Lyric and Gershwin were two, but those were never open options. If they were planning on moving houses, they only have two other choices. I wish I could remember what they were."

Probably St James and Shubert?
"

Both also unavailable. Maybe the Broadway? (Also unavailable, for now).

Joshua Boyd-Williams
Chorus Member
joined:3/30/17
Chorus Member
joined:
3/30/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#21
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:40pm

Alex M said: "I really wish that Spongebob just had started in a smaller house to begin with. The reason why ticket sales aren't great is because of the size of the Palace. I was really hoping that they would have taken the Walter Kerr because that would have been the perfectsize to fitin audiences....Oh well."

Well, they have been doing better in terms of filling up the Palace Theatre lately. Though who knows how long that's gonna last. I'm just thankful they never had audiences like Escape to Margaritaville has been getting recently. Those are terrible. 

EllieRose2 Profile PhotoEllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
Broadway Star
joined:11/22/17
Broadway Star
joined:
11/22/17
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#22
Posted: 6/8/18 at 6:16pm

 "If it wins best musical"

Thank you.  I laughed for two minutes straight  Much needed today. smileyOh, and there is no such thing as "Best New Musical" 

Updated On: 6/8/18 at 06:16 PM
goldenstate5
Featured Actor
joined:5/8/06
Featured Actor
joined:
5/8/06
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#23
Posted: 6/9/18 at 6:30am

My guess is that they just close and announce a tour at the same time. I mean, a tour really has to be what Nickelodeon was eyeing this entire time. A 9-month Broadway run is just gravy.

rg7759
Featured Actor
joined:5/6/16
Featured Actor
joined:
5/6/16
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#24
Posted: 6/9/18 at 2:48pm

sponge opened on november 6, i really doubt they would have signed anything for less than a year. i think they will stay til then if its possible

Sondheimite Profile PhotoSondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
Broadway Legend
joined:12/5/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/5/14
What is the Fate of SPONGEBOB?#25
Posted: 6/9/18 at 3:02pm

Spongebob was the most fun I've had in a theatre.  Maybe ever.  I saw a preview where it seemed like mostly stoned mid-twenty year olds (like myself) and you would have thought it was a rock concert.  Every joke landed perfectly, there was cheering and applause that was thunderous, and I'm Not A Loser for a mid show standing ovation.

But I recognize that the stigma it had on it before it ever came in and that it's been playing at around 50% of it's box office potential.  I have a feeling it will close in September and that it will do splendidly on tour.

I wish nothing but the absolute best for this show, it's genius director, and it's dynamite cast!  Go get a $30 rush ticket if you haven't seen the show, sit back, relax, smoke a little, and HAVE FUN!!!

 

Broadway World's Fireman.