Advertisement

Page: 1

Megan Hilty Holding Back?

emmettjordan
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#1
Posted: 4/4/18 at 1:54am

Megan is one of my absolute favourite performers, but as I watch some of her recent performance I feel as though she's holding back a little. Lowered keys. Mixing instead of belting. Does anyone know why this is or what's going on? Is her voice not what it used to be?

massofmen
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#2
Posted: 4/4/18 at 10:16am

she's had 2 kids. maybe give her a break. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#3
Posted: 4/4/18 at 11:07am

she's had 2 kids. maybe give her a break. 

What on EARTH does that have to do with anything?  It can be a creative choice.  She most likely is trying to showcase other vocal ranges over what people generally expect from her.  Kelli O'Hara did this by choosing roles which showcased her acting range (and vocally, most notably) instead of sticking to one type of role.  Kristin Chenoweth has also done the same with her choices.  

LYLS3637 Profile PhotoLYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#4
Posted: 4/4/18 at 11:21am

BrodyFosse123 said: "she's had 2 kids. maybe give her a break.

What on EARTH doesthat have to do with anything? It can be a creative choice. She most likely is trying to showcase other vocalranges over what people generally expect from her. Kelli O'Hara did this by choosing roles which showcased her acting range (and vocally, most notably) instead of sticking to one type of role. Kristin Chenoweth has also done the same with her choices.
"

I've known multiple female singers who said that it took up to a year following pregnancy before their voices returned. It does happen.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
WayTooBroadway Profile PhotoWayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#5
Posted: 4/4/18 at 11:42am
Let Brody mansplain, please!
"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
CindersGolightly Profile PhotoCindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#6
Posted: 4/4/18 at 11:54am

She's been lowering her keys since "Smash" ended. Look up any concert she's done since introducing those songs. Nine times out of ten, they're lowered. Even at the "Bombshell" concert they're lowered for both her and Kat. Megan Hilty is a lot of things - dumb is not one of them. She knows what she's doing. We'll all be thankful for this when she returns in a big Broadway musical hit and sings the roof off the place. (Speaking of, please Miss Hilty, come back to us and do another show!)

"Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."
goldenboy Profile Photogoldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#7
Posted: 4/4/18 at 12:12pm

I first discovered Megan Hilty in Wicked and she stole the show. Elphaba who?I fell in love. What a fun funny bundle of joy. I then predicted she'd have a solid career after that.

She was quite good in the much aligned 9 to 5... a musical I enjoyed much better than most of the movie musicals that are running now. (Waitress, School of Rock, they put me to sleep and yet they run...)

She proved herself a tv actress on Smash and was still rooting for her character.

Then she did Lorelie in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes at Encores. If any show was ready for Broadway that one was. I wish to God that had happenned. Randy Skinner's choreography was sublime.

In sum... Megan do another show soon. You just make me smile and always make my theatre day.

OneSingularSensation2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#8
Posted: 4/4/18 at 1:36pm

CindersGolightly said: "We'll all be thankful for this when she returns in a big Broadway musical hit and sings the roof off the place. (Speaking of, please Miss Hilty, come back to us and do another show!)"

Yes, please. (Maybe she's waiting for the SMASH/Bombshell show...)

goldenboy Profile Photogoldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#9
Posted: 4/4/18 at 2:00pm

Smash Bombhell is old news.

Bring her back in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes or something new.

jtishere
Understudy
Understudy
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#10
Posted: 4/4/18 at 3:57pm
Saw her with the Nashville Sympnony last weekend and she was in fabulous voice.
Valentina3 Profile PhotoValentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#11
Posted: 4/4/18 at 4:02pm

goldenboy said: "Smash Bombhell is old news.

Bring her back in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes or something new.
"

How is Gentlemen newer than Bombshell? :P

I want her in a new musical too, but a Hairspray revival with her playing Velma would be golden. She's a fantastic performer, I'd honestly see her in anything she agrees to be in.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
OneSingularSensation2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Megan Hilty Holding Back?#12
Posted: 4/4/18 at 5:12pm

Valentina3 said: "She's a fantastic performer, I'd honestly see her in anything she agrees to be in."

Yup!

Advertisement