Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?

HamilHansen Profile PhotoHamilHansen Profile Photo
HamilHansen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#1
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:29am

Thoughts? Who do you think should've won?

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#2
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:30am
I really wanted Mystery of Love to win
thebookofwhizzer Profile Photothebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#3
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:36am

Call_me_jorge said: "I really wanted Mystery of Love to win"

I wanted This Is Me, but Mystery of Love was my "second choice". Glad for Robert Lopez, double EGOT. Wow! 

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM
whatacharacter Profile Photowhatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#4
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:37am

I thought it was the weakest of all the nominated songs.  I loved Coco, but was annoyed by it's constant reappearance throughout the film.  I also felt the performance was the most lackluster of the night. 

Babe_Williams Profile PhotoBabe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#5
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:41am

I like the song, but not sure it deserved the oscar over the other songs.

schubox
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#6

Call_me_jorge said: "I really wanted Mystery of Love to win"

Yes, very much this. I’m also a giant Sufjan fanboy though 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile PhotoTheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#7

Remember Me should not have won. It was cute in the context of the movie, but really is not a good song. It's a bland melody with bland accompaniment and bland orchestrations, and the lyrics are trite and uninteresting.

This Is Me has become a worldwide anthem for diversity, inclusion, and acceptance, which seemed to be an ongoing theme last night - which is part of why why I was so shocked when the song lost. Keala Settle pours her heart and soul into that song every single time she sings it. It's a piece full of passion, light, and inspiration. It absolutely deserved every bit of that award. 

Blockhead24 Profile PhotoBlockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#8
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:47am

Yes it did and I am so happy that it wasn't "This is me" 

James885 Profile PhotoJames885 Profile Photo
James885
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did "Remember Me" deserve the Oscar?#9
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:53am

Having not seen The Greatest Showman or heard any of its music, I was actually a little underwhelmed hearing "This Is Me" for the first time last night. It just seemed like a standard pop anthem. 

I actually wanted "Stand Up For Something" to win, even though I knew it wasn't going to.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
JennH
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did #10
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:05am

TheGingerBreadMan said: "Remember Me should not have won. It was cute in the context of the movie, but really is not a good song. It's a bland melody with bland accompaniment and bland orchestrations, and the lyrics are trite and uninteresting.

This Is Me has become a worldwide anthem for diversity, inclusion, and acceptance, which seemed to be an ongoing theme last night - which is part of why why I was so shocked when the song lost. Keala Settle pours her heart and soul into that song every single time she sings it. It's a piece full of passion, light, and inspiration. It absolutely deserved every bit of that award.
"

It's constant reappearance is actually important to the story, just as a reminder, and you can't get more on the nose than "This is Me" as a title...thats pretty trite as well. Remember Me finds it's beauty in simplicity. Simple melody, simple orchestrations. This is Me is almost nothing but bombast with no underlying clever wit behind it. Love me some Pasek and Paul but they haven't proved themselves versatile writers yet. It's same thing over and over. Remember Me is the song that finally is proving to me that The Lopez's can write outside their niche of pastiche comedy or at least write something honest and earnest with heart with more sneaky, not-so-on-the-nose lyrics. While I can see where the lyrics are a little odd, any song that you can change context and style to and the meaning completely changes, is a brilliant song to me. You can't do that with Pasek and Paul songs. Remember Me is Alan Menken style deceptively simple, which is half it's wit, and I consider it a redemption win, since Let it Go is their song that shouldn't have won. I understand why people like This is Me, of course the message can't be ignored, but songs like that and Let it Go are so on the nose in their obviousness and bombast, that I don't consider them superior in writing or context, they're showpieces. You don't have to be so obvious or overblown in your message and/or writing. 

Updated On: 3/5/18 at 10:05 AM
LYLS3637 Profile PhotoLYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did #11
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:11am

It should have been Mystery of Love. Absolutely gorgeous song used PERFECTLY in the film. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #12
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:11am

Poor Diane Warren.  The Susan Lucci of the Oscars.

haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #13
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:12am

I don't think Oscars are deserved, only won.

BwayLB
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did #14
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:16am
I do like Remember Me. But I wanted This Is Me to win even more. Coco was beautiful but nothing compared to Greatest Showman
taylortrensch Profile Phototaylortrensch Profile Photo
taylortrensch
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Did #15
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:18am

"Remember Me" is so much more powerful than "This Is Me", especially when you put them in context. "This Is Me" is nothing new... just another anthem from Pasek & Paul. I love Keala, but it wasn't deserving of an Oscar

don't message me thinking im taylor trensch?? what would he be doing on bww?? you can't possibly be that dumb bye
linus84
Understudy
Understudy
Did #16
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:19am

I agree with the win- for me Remember Me was like a character in the movie and played a pivotal role in the plot.

JennH
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did #17
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:25am

haterobics said: "I don't think Oscars are deserved, only won."

This might actually be the best thing I've ever heard about award shows in general.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photoseaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did #18
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:26am
^ Yup, I was gonna say that in context of the films, "Remember Me" is much more powerful than "This Is Me". Plus, we've heard plenty of other songs like "This Is Me". It's nothing new. The lyrics come off like a computer was asked to write an uplifting anthem. If the award was for Catchiest Song, then yes, "This Is Me" absolutely should've won. But I'm pretty happy with "Remember Me" winning, as it moved me a lot more than "This Is Me" in the theater.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #19
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:30am
I believe the correct song won...for many reasons already listed in this thread. It's the song I remembered most after seeing the film.

After seeing The Greatest Showman, I like a lot of the music. This is Me as a powerful anthem but I can't honestly say I went home singing the tune. It's spirit and enthusiasm and the amazing Kaela Settle were memorable. The song itself was pretty ordinary to me.
Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #20
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:34am

schubox said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I really wanted Mystery of Love to win"

Yes, very much this. I’m also a giant Sufjan fanboy though
"

CMBYN turned me into a sufjan fanboy. Absolutely obsessed now.

stlrod
Stand-by
Stand-by
Did #21
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:38am

Yes without a doubt. I remember Gene Siskel once saying it should be about how the song fits and advances the movie. Remember Me did so perfectly and was used throughout the movie. I could have done without the plug for Frozen during the acceptance speech though.

Updated On: 3/5/18 at 10:38 AM
Scarywarhol Profile PhotoScarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #22
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:42am
I'm shocked that more people on a theater board aren't able to appreciate what a good dramatic song this is. How well it reveals itself through several contexts, and how beautifully simple it is. I don't think any other song was half as good. And I didn't even like Frozen.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #23
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:49am

Scarywarhol said: "I'm shocked that more people on a theater board aren't able to appreciate what a good dramatic song this is. How well it reveals itself through several contexts, and how beautifully simple it is. I don't think any other song was half as good. And I didn't even like Frozen."

Well, one would have to see Coco to appreciate at that level, no?

IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #24
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:53am

The real winner wasn't even nominated - "Visions of Gideon" from CALL ME BY YOUR NAME. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did #25
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:54am

IdinaBellFoster said: "The real winner wasn't even nominated - "Visions of Gideon" from CALL ME BY YOUR NAME."

I did prefer that tune to the nominated one. Unless I was swayed by Timothee emoting.