Repeat Attenders fan documentary premieres at DOC NYC

TonyLoser Profile PhotoTonyLoser Profile Photo
TonyLoser
Swing
Swing

http://www.docnyc.net/film/repeat-attenders/

We might see some familiar faces in this film. 

Updated On: 10/14/17 at 03:55 PM
Patti LuPone FANatic Profile PhotoPatti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Has anyone seen this film?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
TonyLoser
Swing
Swing

First screening is in 3 weeks. 

haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Has anyone seen this film?"

Waiting until something starts, or actually seeing something, before having passionate opinions on it has never been required on BWW.

Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Gee Hater...did it make your day to pounce on someone's inadvertent mistake?  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
TonyLoser
Swing
Swing

Rivalry within the fandom is bound to be explored if this film. I love the broadway fandom, but sometimes it can get a bit too much dealing with all the competitiveness. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would be curious  to know if any of our BWW members might appear in this documentary?

haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Gee Hater...did it make your day to pounce on someone's inadvertent mistake?"

Not sure how to interpret what I said as personal, rather than a comment on a site that is already predicting Tony face-offs based on shows that haven't opened, but I guess you can read it however you like...

Updated On: 10/15/17 at 06:08 PM
TonyLoser
Swing
Swing

I saw a guy filming at DEH stage door this year. Filming the SRO overnight queue. 

Updated On: 10/16/17 at 07:26 AM
TonyLoser
Swing
Swing

I ended up going to this. It was quite exciting to be at the first ever screening of it. Did anyone else here go? I thought it was really well done. Such a great insight into reasons why we might go to the theater, and why we do things over and over again. The german starlight fan was a fantastic character. It was a real celebration of the broadway fandom. 

jvoom Profile Photojvoom Profile Photo
jvoom
Understudy
Understudy

It's now available to rent on Vimeo. I watched this morning and enjoyed it. It's nothing groundbreaking and I don't know how interesting it would be for someone who isn't a theatre fan but nonetheless, it's a good watch!  The scenes with Debbie Gibsons stalker are particularly interesting/terrifying.

It also made me realise what absolutely, truly bizarre shows Starlight Express and Cats are.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/repeatattenders

Updated On: 5/16/20 at 11:20 AM
starcatchers Profile Photostarcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Full yikes. That was an uncomfortable watch.
the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, I'm not in it. They were doing this during my hospitalization.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
mailhandler777
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A pic of me and a friend at the Wicked stage door from when Teal Wicks and Katie Rose Clarke were the leads was in it...haha.
Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next revival of Gypsy starring the Starlight Express mother as Rose???

This is an interesting documentary. I do have to wonder where the line between us having a passionate theatre interest starts to uncomfortably turn into what looks similar to heroin addiction.
"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It is an interesting documentary.  As long as people are enjoying themselves, and not turning into stalkers at the stage door, more power to them.  So many people who stage door have the mindset that they are "friends" with the performers simply because they get their autograph & picture taken with them multiple, multiple times, after seeing the show multiple, multiple times.  

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And now with twitter etc. if an actor “likes” or somehow reacts to something it only validates that feeling of friendship for a lot of these people.
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jordan, you are so right.  It's pretty sad, and very disturbing. 

Huss417 Profile PhotoHuss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The whole thing with Debbie Gibson was like watching a documentary within a documentary. 

After watching this if someone asks me how many times I have seen a show I will say Once! :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Chowd95 Profile PhotoChowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
Stand-by
Stand-by
I was looking forward to seeing this based on the trailers but overall it was slightly disturbing and bordered on exploitation. I realize the goal of seeing a show 1,000 times is weird but every subject they featured had emotional problems.

The German lady said over and over that she thought she was too overweight and too old to play her dream part. She needs to take a break from Starlight Express for a night and watch Gypsy.

I don't understand the lady that was obsessed with Les Mis. Why would you see a show 977 times if it doesn't emotionally effect you in some way? And like the actors said, hanging around the stage door after a performance is fine, but watching them walk in is just creepy.

The Cats lady. Congrats on having that much money to spend on memorabilia for a show you love... add also marrying a man that will obey to your whims and photograph you in the costumes. Not much to say beyond that because of all the musicals she picked Cats.

As for the Debbie Gibson guy. He's obviously a crazy stalker. His story didn't belong here.

Finally, what happened to Patty and Emily?

Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm guessing the doc was filmed around 2015-2017? I see Jonathan Groff was still in Hamilton and the Dear Evan Hansen rush line for SRO before they changed that to digital lottery.

If that doc were to be updated to today, what do you think they may add? One thing that pops in my head is Alex Brightman's stalker (hence why he stopped doing stage door for a time.)  

veronicamae Profile Photoveronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I'd been waiting to see this for so long and was thrilled when they FINALLY released it in some way.

I found it to be an enjoyable documentary, though I was a bit disappointed it focused so much on our dear Starlight-obsessed German rather than more Broadway-focused experiences. Perhaps they're a European-based filmmaking team? (I'm too lazy to look it up / doesn't really matter.)

If they'd made it sometime in the past 2-3 years, it could definitely have focused heavily on SpongeBob, Beetlejuice, Mean Girls, and Be More Chill.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I believe they're Australian. They had a booth at BroadwayCon one year.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
TonyLoser
Swing
Swing
The VOD release is quite a bit different to the version I saw at the film festival here a few years ago. Much better ending. It still made me emotional watching. The starlight ladies story is very powerful, and I love that they celebrate theater and fandom, showing the quirky and potentially scary/dangerous side too. Good balance. We’re all a bit weird and unique. Interesting how the girl points out that within the fandom, some people are judgemental of other fans, and then exhibit A is on display above. Point perfectly made. We should unite in our passion, not exclude, judge and ridicule. I’m going to try to better at that.
Broadway Buddy
Stand-by
Stand-by
Does anyone think it’s worth $8? That seems a bit pricy for a documentary that’s an hour and a half. I may consider still. Looking for things to watch during this Quarentine. Looks interesting but will keep on reading what you guys think.