Page: 1

Show Choir

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Show Choir#0
Posted: 2/1/04 at 2:09pm
Since we are "representin'" with other things. I want the posters here who are currently in/have been in a show choir to post and see just how many of us there are! (Also if you've been to show choir camps of america make sure you post that too.) Show Choir
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Show Choir#1
Posted: 2/1/04 at 3:13pm
I was in a show choir from 6th grade until 9th. It is called ETC All American Youth Show Choir. It is made up of kids from different schools in the area. Starting this year, I have moved from performing to stage crew. It is very fun and I am glad I have made the change. We just had a competition in Grove City, OH and have one next weekend in Battle Creek, MI. We have made it to the finals every competition, but have yet to be victorious. May I also add that the year I am on stage crew, we win overall best stage crew...for the 1st year out of 26. re: Show Choir
CCM '10!
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Show Choir#2
Posted: 2/1/04 at 11:26pm
I know there is at least 3 more of you out there! I know you've talked about it in your posts before! Come on! (BwatTheatre11, I've heard of ETC. and I've seen the America's Funniest Home videos episode with the ETC video on it.re: re: Show Choir)
NYCbabe3789 Profile PhotoNYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Show Choir#3
Posted: 2/2/04 at 7:05am
I'm in my school's show choir, nothing big like ETC.
rlbgbc Profile Photorlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Show Choir#4
Posted: 2/2/04 at 9:52am
I, too, am a former member of a show choir -- although we didn't call it "show choir" back then. And we most certainly didn't do any of that pre-packaged crap that is out there today. Who's that cheesy choreographer who's made a business out of show choir-ism? John something? Erg. What pablum.

But I guess to a discerning eye, ANY show choir stuff is pablum...that comes with age, kids.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Show Choir#5
Posted: 2/2/04 at 10:31am
Are you serious, son_of_a_gunn_25? On America's Funniest Home Videos? With some of the year's shows, I can believe it.
CCM '10!
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Show Choir#6
Posted: 2/2/04 at 10:54am
My choir was called a show choir but we did a mix . We went to a competition (ISSMA) and sang classical music too. (Concert Choir type music) We went the highest level possible and got the best rating level in both sight reading and performance. (Not bad considering it was out choir Directors third year, and when he got there the choral program was in shambles.)(Our choreographer was Equity which was fun). I understand that a lot of it is cheesy, but it was fun and is part of the reason I have such a love for theatre now. We didnt compete in our show choir sadly. I wish we could've but our director felt we didn't have the numbers to do it. I owe a lot to being in show choir so you won't hear me complaining. At least not yet, as you said rlbqbc it might come with age.
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Show Choir#7
Posted: 2/2/04 at 11:10am
I'm in a 'Show Choir', but our school calls it 'Varsity Singers'. Haha. We give the varsity football team a run for their money.

We're doing Hairspray stuff for the Musical Festival in Cincinatti.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Varsity Singers...that name is used everywhere! Also, if I here Hairspray one more time in a show choir show, I am gonna go crazy! Hairspray is very popular this year.
CCM '10!
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You Can't Stop the Beat!
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AHHHH! I love Hairspray, but EVERY OTHER show choir does "(It's) Hairspray" and "You Can't Stop The Beat." My last comp., a girl performed "Good Morning Balitmore" for a solo competition and won...she was amazing. She should tryout for Tracy.
CCM '10!
Elphie Profile PhotoElphie Profile Photo
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Show Choir Geek right here!
In the past we performed Grease and Smokey Joe's. This year: Hairspray Medley. Yeah, I am too getting very sick of the music. Especially You Cant Stop the Beat. Certain things just weren't meant for choir, especially ours.
My freshmen year when we performed Smokey Joe's we went up against a school with their guys in tuxedos and girls in long red gowns and all were wearing tap shoes. Needless to say, we lost!
"They hear drums. We hear music."
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I wish our school payed more attention to the theatre department.
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All wearing taps? Usually its just a few, because otherwise vocals tend to get drowned out. Everyone is dancing, but usually only a couple have taps.
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think half was in tap shoes. The others were practicing swing dancing lifts. It was horrifying to see competition like that when my school, decked out in our brightly colored button downs and jeans, was just about to go on.
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think half was in tap shoes. The others were practicing swing dancing lifts. It was horrifying to see competition like that when my school, decked out in our brightly colored button downs and jeans, was just about to go on.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Elphie, I feel the same way. My school could care less about the theatre department. It is sad.
CCM '10!
zannafan Profile Photozannafan Profile Photo
zannafan
Understudy
Understudy
I myself am a former show choir member. This thread makes me feel really old because has been five years since I was in highschool. We were called the North Carroll Ensemble and performed at nursing homes and schools in addition to competitions. I really REALLY miss it because it gave me a lot of confidence which I was definitely in short supply of. My only regret was not fully understanding my sexuality when we went to show choir camp in Ohio...there were a CRAPLOAD of hotties I should have talked to. Anyway, everything happens for a reason. I am glad I did it, and really miss it.
Nick
A ripple on the edge can be a tidal wave; no matter what the size. Anything can be, depending how you see when you're looking at the world with brand new eyes. ---Prodigal