Page: 1

Be More Chill

Tim Barstow
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Be More Chill#1
Posted: 6/1/17 at 7:26pm

Why hasn't this gotten a Broadway run?? It's amazing.

MadonnaMusical Profile PhotoMadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Be More Chill#2
Posted: 6/1/17 at 8:00pm

Joe Iconis is one of the most exciting songwriters in my opinion and have often asked this question myself. I heard a rumor that he likes to keep 100% creative control which producers have not been willing to give him. Supposedly a well known producer wanted to bring BLOODSONG OF LOVE to Broadway and cast big name stars in the leads, however Mr. Iconis refused because he demanded that his regular troupe of actors (aka The Family) be cast in all of the roles. 

I think it's commendable that he is so loyal to the actors who donate so much of their time to him and his sold-out concerts. HOWEVER, I'm not sure that was the smartest move if that rumor is true. If the show had been a hit those actors could have been replacements and all had Broadway gigs. 

I also heard that supposedly he was commissioned to write 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN the musical which was supposed to go to Broadway and was supposedly really great, however Judd Apatow pulled the plug. 

However these are just rumors. 

I think BE MORE CHILL could have a small Broadway run if they got a big enough star... Ariana Grande anyone?

thealtoslament Profile Photothealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
Stand-by
Stand-by
Be More Chill#3
Posted: 6/1/17 at 9:55pm

If it were to make the jump to NYC, Be More Chill would probably take a path like, for example, Heathers-- a short Off-Broadway run and then a legacy as a staple of regional theater and college/community productions. Which is a damn shame because the music (the soundtrack has been on repeat in my house for the past week, as I've recently discovered the show) is far superior to Heathers and with a little tweaking of the book to fix some pacing issues, it could be a little gem of a show.

Not to mention that even as it stands right now, it's actually far superior to the novel it's based on. 

leighmiserables  Profile Photoleighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Be More Chill#4
Posted: 6/2/17 at 12:37pm

While I agree with thealtoslament that it would definitely work better as an Off-Broadway show, I would hardly be opposed to it having a short run in one of the smaller Broadway theaters sometime in the future – the Booth, maybe? Since it's such a small cast and a relatively low-budget set, I could see it doing well there. Or maybe with a little tweaking of the staging, I could see it working at Circle in the Square. 

But in any case, I just hope it runs somewhere near NYC so that I could see it live. 

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Be More Chill#5
Posted: 6/2/17 at 5:11pm

I adore this show, and Joe Iconis' music, but this is not a Broadway show. It's like trying to put Calvin Berger on Broadway. Some things just don't make it.

Leaf Coneybear Profile PhotoLeaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Be More Chill#6
Posted: 6/2/17 at 5:18pm

I adore this show, and Joe Iconis' music, but this is not a Broadway show. It's like trying to put Calvin Berger on Broadway. Some things just don't make it.

I've always thought of Calvin Berger and Be More Chill as very similar in that way, I'm glad someone else thought so too!

MadonnaMusical Profile PhotoMadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Be More Chill#7
Posted: 9/6/18 at 4:14pm
Well.
Kichkinet4life Profile PhotoKichkinet4life Profile Photo
Kichkinet4life
Stand-by
Stand-by
Be More Chill#8
Posted: 9/6/18 at 9:37pm

I remember when I first got the book when I was in High School (circa the spring of 2004). I instantly fell in love with it and have read it over and read throughout the years!

I am so excited that the city will get a chance to see the wonder of this coming-of-age story!