Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door- Page 4

Caye2
Stand-by
joined:3/19/17
Stand-by
joined:
3/19/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#76
Posted: 6/28/17 at 9:59am

Any reports about the DEH stage door last night?  Who came out to give autographs?

rodrigo_ca
Stand-by
joined:12/12/15
Stand-by
joined:
12/12/15
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#77
Posted: 6/29/17 at 8:43am

LizzieCurry said: "http://www.onstageblog.com/columns/2017/6/25/dear-evan-fansens-the-need-for-stage-door-etiquette

"

HA! I wish that was a Dear Evan Hansen-only problem. People are going over and over to the point of ruining nice things since... ever? Hysterical fans made me stop stage dooring a long time ago. And I live a long way from Broadway, where Dear Evan Hansen has no chance to show up for the next 10 years.

poisonivy2 Profile Photopoisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
Broadway Legend
joined:1/3/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/3/16
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#78
Posted: 6/29/17 at 9:55am

rodrigo_ca said: "LizzieCurry said: "http://www.onstageblog.com/columns/2017/6/25/dear-evan-fansens-the-need-for-stage-door-etiquette

"

HA! I wish that was a Dear Evan Hansen-only problem. People are going over and over to the point of ruining nice things since... ever? Hysterical fans made me stop stage dooring a long time ago. And I live a long way from Broadway, where Dear Evan Hansen has no chance to show up for the next 10 years.


 

"

I sort of want to refute this. I've never been to the DEH stage door and have heard that it's a mob. But I have been to other stage doors and in my experience the vast majority of the people there are incredibly respectful and wish to express appreciation to the performers. My latest stage door experience was Hello Dolly! on Tuesday and when Donna Murphy came out people applauded and said "We love you!" and Donna was beaming. The whole cast was incredibly gracious and patient with their time and it was really a happy experience. 

There were other stage door experiences where the performers were not as friendly, and I don't begrudge them that at all. They might be tired or sick and they only owe us a good performance. But I will say that stage dooring can be an incredibly fun experience and I've also met tons of fun people at the stage door, from moms with kids to gradmas with grandchildren to entire school classes on a field trip. It's what theater is about -- bringing people together.

Updated On: 6/29/17 at 09:55 AM
LYLS3637 Profile PhotoLYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
Broadway Star
joined:5/1/09
Broadway Star
joined:
5/1/09
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#79
Posted: 6/29/17 at 10:11am

poisonivy2 said: "I sort of want to refute this. I've never been to the DEH stage door and have heard that it's a mob. But I have been to other stage doors and in my experience the vast majority of the people there are incredibly respectful and wish to express appreciation to the performers. My latest stage door experience was Hello Dolly! on Tuesday and when Donna Murphy came out people applauded and said "We love you!" and Donna was beaming. The whole cast was incredibly gracious and patient with their time and it was really a happy experience. 

There were other stage door experiences where the performers were not as friendly, and I don't begrudge them that at all. They might be tired or sick and they only owe us a good performance. But I will say that stage dooring can be an incredibly fun experience and I've also met tons of fun people at the stage door, from moms with kids to gradmas with grandchildren to entire school classes on a field trip. It's what theater is about -- bringing people together.
"

 

I haven't stage doored since IF/THEN because of how truly horrible people behaved, but up until that point, I would agree with you. Most of the time, the crowds were genuine and respectful-- my experiences at OTHER DESERT CITIES (Judith Light is a beautiful human being), HAIR, FUN HOME, CABARET, SISTER ACT, and ANYTHING GOES (to name a few) were very positive. However, there were instances at HAIRSPRAY (Harvey Fierstein luckily takes no $hit), VANYA SONYA..., PROMISES PROMISES, HOW TO SUCCEED..., and of course IF/THEN where the people were insufferable. 

I genuinely think it has to do with age. The shows/stars that attract younger folks between the ages of 13 and 25 (or autograph hunters!!), the stage door tends to be more disruptive. That's just based on my own anecdotal evidence, but I do think there's a correlation. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/10/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/10/13
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#80
Posted: 7/1/17 at 8:55pm

Apparently, there is now a stage door policy, according to Tumblr and Twitter

This kinda (?) explains it

https://memeing-through-a-window.tumblr.com/post/162490178584/from-dearevanhansen-on-instagram-this-makes-me#notes

froote
Broadway Star
joined:2/14/17
Broadway Star
joined:
2/14/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#81
Posted: 7/1/17 at 9:04pm

^Good.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/10/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/10/13
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#82
Posted: 7/3/17 at 9:14am

And people wonder why the actors aren't coming out anymore https://twitter.com/dianamclaughlin/status/881365944156790785

CorkySt.Clair Profile PhotoCorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
Featured Actor
joined:7/1/17
Featured Actor
joined:
7/1/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#83
Posted: 7/3/17 at 9:40am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "And people wonder why the actors aren't coming out anymore https://twitter.com/dianamclaughlin/status/881365944156790785

 

"

Yeesh

poisonivy2 Profile Photopoisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
Broadway Legend
joined:1/3/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/3/16
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#84
Posted: 7/3/17 at 10:44am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "And people wonder why the actors aren't coming out anymore https://twitter.com/dianamclaughlin/status/881365944156790785

 

"

But if you read the other woman's tweets you'll see that this tweet is very much, uh, consistent with her other tweets.

 

CorkySt.Clair Profile PhotoCorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
Featured Actor
joined:7/1/17
Featured Actor
joined:
7/1/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#85
Posted: 7/3/17 at 10:45am

True true

billis2
Understudy
joined:3/22/13
Understudy
joined:
3/22/13
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#86
Posted: 7/3/17 at 12:20pm

At first, I thought that Twitter account might be a troll/parody account, since the woman is supposed to be a doctor and old enough to have a daughter in law school, and her tweets are so antagonistic and nutty.  But sadly, I think it is a real account.

Apparently, she's no better with her patients.  Her online ratings are awful and the comments from patients say things like, "She's just a mean person."

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/05
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#87
Posted: 7/3/17 at 12:23pm
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
bennyb86
Chorus Member
joined:6/12/17
Chorus Member
joined:
6/12/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#88
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:17pm

Just logistically how on they going to police who saw the show and didn't see the show?  I don't see how that will work, especially on a public sidewalk.  

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
joined:12/4/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/4/07
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#89
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:29pm

That lady is cray-cray.  

 

Really a shame that Ben even felt he had to explain anything.   I am not a stage door kind of gal, I get what I paid for inside the theater.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#90
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:33pm

Unfortunately, I felt the need to engage her on Twitter. Then the daughter got involved, and I had to go at it with her. They're horrible.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/05
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#91
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:38pm

Kristolyn Lloyd is now replying to her.

https://twitter.com/KristolynLloyd/status/881928716607213568

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
adagio
Understudy
joined:5/13/16
Understudy
joined:
5/13/16
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#92
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:43pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "And people wonder why the actors aren't coming out anymore https://twitter.com/dianamclaughlin/status/881365944156790785

 

"

What a horrid woman. How can she possibly think that sort of language & behavior is acceptable?!

IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
joined:11/5/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
11/5/06
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#93
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:44pm

JLT retweeted Ben's response with the caption "Listen Diana".

Not shocking that this Diana woman's entire twitter feed is pro-Trump propaganda. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/10/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/10/13
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#94
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:49pm

Yup, her being a Trumpeter makes sense

froote
Broadway Star
joined:2/14/17
Broadway Star
joined:
2/14/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#95
Posted: 7/3/17 at 1:58pm

bennyb86 said: "Just logistically how on they going to police who saw the show and didn't see the show?  I don't see how that will work, especially on a public sidewalk. "

Simple, check who has a ticket and who doesn't.

I feel bad for Ben, but he shouldn't have even responded. She's just one person that clearly has issues of her own and should be ignored.

Nycat63
Broadway Star
joined:10/31/16
Broadway Star
joined:
10/31/16
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#96
Posted: 7/3/17 at 2:15pm

Interesting that both this woman and the guy who recently started the thread about Ben getting roles and the Tony because of nepotism are Trumpeteers.  

My daughter went to stage door twice (after seeing the show) and Ben never came out.  She walked away sad but understanding that it's not his responsibility to come out and (hopefully) appreciative that unlike so many kids, she got to see it not just once but twice.  And she's 15, not law school aged.  Raise your children to be less entitled, lady.  

As a former practicing lawyer myself, I'm taking some comfort in the fact that her odious daughter is going to a law school that will dump her out with a huge debt load and no decent job prospects. Guess that makes me slightly crappy too but oh well.  I don't have a lot of tolerance for people like this (and the nepotism conspiracy guy) and karma is a bitch.  

 

Updated On: 7/3/17 at 02:15 PM
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
joined:2/27/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/27/06
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#97
Posted: 7/3/17 at 2:17pm

Simple, check who has a ticket and who doesn't.

This process would take hours if they literally employed a person to go one-by-one checking tickets.  There are HUNDREDS of people at the stage door after EVERY performance.  

The only way to control anything at the stage door is to do what they do in Shubert Alley for Bette Midler - they barricade an enormous area outside the stage door so no one is anywhere near the actual door.  They can create wide barricaded space outside the Music Box stage door and Ben can just walk straight to his town car and simply wave to the cheering crowds.  The crowd would be more than thrilled just to see him and they can take photos of him for their social media proof they saw him as he walked to his waiting car. 

froote
Broadway Star
joined:2/14/17
Broadway Star
joined:
2/14/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#98
Posted: 7/3/17 at 2:28pm

Well from what I hear the ticket check is how they're doing it and it works fine. Obviously the odd person may manage to sneak through but it's still an improvement.

Nycat63
Broadway Star
joined:10/31/16
Broadway Star
joined:
10/31/16
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#99
Posted: 7/3/17 at 2:28pm

CT2NYC said: "Unfortunately, I felt the need to engage her on Twitter. Then the daughter got involved, and I had to go at it with her. They're horrible.

 

"Oh my god did she actually call you a mensch (or as she spells it, "menche"Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door on Twitter thinking that was an insult?  LMAO.  

 

CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/17
Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door#100
Posted: 7/3/17 at 2:35pm

Nycat63 said: "CT2NYC said: "Unfortunately, I felt the need to engage her on Twitter. Then the daughter got involved, and I had to go at it with her. They're horrible.

 

"Oh my god did she actually call you a mensch (or as she spells it, "menche"Dear Evan Hansen Stage Door on Twitter thinking that was an insult?  LMAO.  


She did, and the fact that Ben liked my reply to her about it was all the satisfaction I needed.