Page: 1

An Officer and a Gentleman musical

bigbelterbaby
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
An Officer and a Gentleman musical #1
Posted: 11/22/16 at 11:19pm

this musical premiered in Australia - not sure what the plans are for it and haven't read much about it - I know it's based on the film and the film has some good songs including " Up Where We Belong " . Anyone know anything else about it ?

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
An Officer and a Gentleman musical #2
Posted: 11/22/16 at 11:24pm

I saw it and thought it was terrible (think very generic pop romantic musical - nothing particularly interesting). The sales were also dismal so I'm guessing it has been laid to rest. 

Australia was penned in media as a great new place to 'try out' new musicals but after Dr Zhivago and An Officer and a Gentlemen it seems that not many are willing to take the risk again. The issue though is and has always been the shows. If you get it right, we are a lucrative market. 

"It’s the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Updated On: 11/22/16 at 11:24 PM
brettystar Profile Photobrettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
An Officer and a Gentleman musical #3
Posted: 11/23/16 at 5:23am

I quite enjoyed it.  It got scathing reviews and certainly not worth seeing more than once but I enjoyed it enough. Some good performances.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'
ggersten Profile Photoggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
An Officer and a Gentleman musical #4
Posted: 7/18/19 at 1:21pm

Is the just announced US tour the same version (or presumably at least modified) as this Australian production?

tourboi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
An Officer and a Gentleman musical #5
Posted: 7/18/19 at 6:28pm
This appears to be a reworked version with 80s songs and a new book entirely.