Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in D.C.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 7/24/15

Performances start tomorrow night for Disney's Freaky Friday at Signature Theatre in Arlington, Virginia. Stars Heidi Blickenstaff and Emma Hunton, and currently scheduled to run through November 20.

Seems like there's definitely an eventual Broadway trajectory, especially with Disney at the helm. Anybody going to the DC run this fall?

Updated On: 10/3/16 at 09:18 AM
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 7/15/06
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#2
Posted: 10/3/16 at 9:19am

I'll be in D.C. at the end of the month and plan to see it then, along with the new production of Carousel at Arena Stage. The cast is top-notch and I imagine the long-term plan is for it to eventually come to New York.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 10/3/16 at 09:19 AM
Broadway_Boy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star Joined: 10/22/05
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#3
Posted: 10/3/16 at 9:32am

I remember hearing Disney has no intention of bringing this to New York and is only producing this in DC for a short run so they can start selling the rights to the material.  Of course anything is possible, but I'm going next week because I definitely don't want to miss this.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR
neonlightsxo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 7/29/08
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#4
Posted: 10/3/16 at 10:03am

There's no Broadway trajectory at the moment. This is planned for licensing. (Obviously there was no planned Broadway trajectory for Newsies either, but I think they mean it this time.)

Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 5/28/13
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#5
Posted: 10/3/16 at 10:48am

As of this morning, there is zero intention to bring this to Broadway. DTG has been fairly transparent and upfront about that with the press throughout this process. I'm frankly baffled how the OP thinks the show's trajectory "definitely" leads to Broadway when everything contradicts this but okay... 

BroadwayConcierge
Broadway Legend
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#6
Posted: 10/3/16 at 10:52am

Thanks to everybody except Headband who corrected my assumption about a potential Broadway engagement! Excited to catch this regardless FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC

Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 5/28/13
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#7
Posted: 10/3/16 at 10:55am
curel1
Featured Actor
Featured Actor Joined: 6/15/16
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#8
Posted: 10/3/16 at 11:33am

Liza's Headband said: "As of this morning, there is zero intention to bring this to Broadway. DTG has been fairly transparent and upfront about that with the press throughout this process. I'm frankly baffled how the OP thinks the show's trajectory "definitely" leads to Broadway when everything contradicts this but okay... 

No need to be rude

"

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 8/20/05
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#9
Posted: 10/3/16 at 11:36am

This production is also heading to La Jolla, so there is a plan for it after DC

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 7/23/03
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#10
Posted: 10/3/16 at 11:55am

I was hoping it would show up on Goldstar like most Signature shows, but so far nothing.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 2/2/14
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#11
Posted: 10/3/16 at 1:14pm

Headband needs to be rude to live!

Wish I was able to see this in DC. I loved both movies was a child and I'm so intrigued and curious what the musical will be like.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 2/11/14
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#12
Posted: 10/3/16 at 1:50pm

Liza's Headband said: "As of this morning, there is zero intention to bring this to Broadway. DTG has been fairly transparent and upfront about that with the press throughout this process. I'm frankly baffled how the OP thinks the show's trajectory "definitely" leads to Broadway when everything contradicts this but okay... 

"

I'm ~frankly baffled~ myself that you, an !*insider*! with such high regard, has never seen a show done well from out of town with "no plans for Broadway" somehow slip onto Broadway. It's not uncommon practice, just as you being an a**hole isn't either. 

Oak2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor Joined: 8/11/16
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#13
Posted: 10/3/16 at 1:58pm

Hm, I live in the DC area, I might have to see if I can afford to go see this. Looking forward to reviews from those on this site who go to it, I might wait until then before making a decision on whether to buy a ticket, since money is kind of tight. I never did see the most recent remake, but I loved the original book and the older movie made off of it. Both movies were by Disney to my knowledge, so I wonder if this movie will take more after the older or the more recent movie (though my money is on the more recent).

Updated On: 10/3/16 at 01:58 PM
itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
Stand-by
Stand-by Joined: 10/16/15
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#14
Posted: 10/3/16 at 2:04pm

I'm going in a couple weeks! I can't wait to see the show since I loved the movie as a kid and I love Heidi Blickenstaff

freewilma
Leading Actor
Leading Actor Joined: 2/18/15
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#15
Posted: 10/3/16 at 2:26pm

I have tickets for Friday night's performance. Look forward to reporting back.  

For those considering attending, be aware the Signature has a code of STU25 for $25 student tickets (And Arena Stage has "pay your age" for those under 30 years old).  

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 9/22/08
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#16
Posted: 10/4/16 at 2:08pm

Has anyone purchased student tickets recently? They state in all caps it's for FULL TIME students but do they verify this? I remember years ago I thought they required you to bring in a trascript but I don't see that as part of their website. do they only check your ID?

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 9/11/16
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#17
Posted: 10/4/16 at 2:43pm

Isn't this show by Kitt and Yorkey? If it is, rad.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 8/14/05
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#18
Posted: 10/4/16 at 2:52pm

Seems Kitt and Yorkey have been making some odd decisions lately. But hopefully the score is good. Because If/Then was....awful.

BroadwayConcierge
Broadway Legend
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#19
Posted: 10/4/16 at 2:57pm

Found out I might be able to go to tonight's first show! Will report back if I do.

Updated On: 10/4/16 at 02:57 PM
Cfried
Broadway Star
Broadway Star Joined: 9/15/16
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#20
Posted: 10/4/16 at 2:59pm

FREAKY FRIDAY is not Broadway bound. It is intended for licensing. But like many of you have said, it is very possible that it may one day transfer. 

Updated On: 10/4/16 at 02:59 PM
neonlightsxo
Broadway Legend
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#21
Posted: 10/4/16 at 3:12pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Isn't this show by Kitt and Yorkey? If it is, rad."

Indeed it is.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend Joined: 3/7/05
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#22
Posted: 10/4/16 at 3:15pm

Why does the logo and color palette look like Jersey Boys?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
neonlightsxo
Broadway Legend
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#23
Posted: 10/4/16 at 3:21pm

Jersey Boys is pink and yellow and features Heidi & Emma?

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
Stand-by
Stand-by Joined: 10/16/15
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#24
Posted: 10/4/16 at 3:22pm

Pianolin717 said: "Has anyone purchased student tickets recently? They state in all caps it's for FULL TIME students but do they verify this? I remember years ago I thought they required you to bring in a trascript but I don't see that as part of their website. do they only check your ID?

"

I bought student tickets but I'm not going until closer to the end of October. The website does specify you need to be a full time student but says when you pick up your tickets you just need a valid student id. I don't think they can make you bring a transcript because a lot of schools make you pay for those and they aren't easy to access for a lot of students. 

BroadwayConcierge
Broadway Legend
FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC#25
Posted: 10/4/16 at 8:50pm

Made it! Intermission now. Show is...interesting FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC will post more thoughts after. Heidi and Emma are FANTASTIC.