What show are you surprised hasn't had a Broadway revival?

TheSassySam Profile PhotoTheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Though it wasn't a huge success, I am surprised there hasn't been a "Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean" revival due to the subject matter. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The subplot in COME BACK TO THE FIVE & DIME you're implying was relevant in 2015.  It's 2016 almost 2017.  

newintown Profile Photonewintown Profile Photo
newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think that every flop play and musical with a transsexual character ought to be revived, because that alone would definitely make it a hit today.

Valentina3 Profile PhotoValentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Funny Girl.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would say "City Of Angels", "Tommy" and "Torch Song Trilogy".

BroadwayConcierge Profile PhotoBroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Funny freaking Girl. I need it right now.

Huss417 Profile PhotoHuss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just going with the first one that came to mind. Grand Hotel.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
brdwybound04
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

The Secret Garden

EricMontreal22 Profile PhotoEricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

newintown said: "I think that every flop play and musical with a transsexual character ought to be revived, because that alone would definitely make it a hit today.

"

Yes, next year for its thirtieth anniversary, Mandy Patinkin should do a revival of his role in the clearly groundbreaking David Hare musical, The Knife. 

Huss417 Profile PhotoHuss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I actually saw The Knife. I remember picking up my tickets at the box office and asking the guy if it was as bad as I heard. He said  "Deplorable, Enjoy your Evening" :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
ringofkeys2
Swing
Swing

Finally making a first post...

Chess and Funny Girl

BakerWilliams Profile PhotoBakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

newintown said: "I think that every flop play and musical with a transsexual character ought to be revived, because that alone would definitely make it a hit today.

"

Trans or transgender please.

"In memory, everything happens to music"
givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Huss417 said: "Just going with the first one that came to mind. Grand Hotel."

Seconded.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
themysteriousgrowl Profile Photothemysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm still holding my breath for a BLOOD BROTHERS revival.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
a-mad
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Grand Hotel was the first show I thought of also. With such a large and potentially diverse cast, I'm surprised it hasn't been revived yet.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
EricMontreal22 Profile PhotoEricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Huss417 said: "I actually saw The Knife. I remember picking up my tickets at the box office and asking the guy if it was as bad as I heard. He said  "Deplorable, Enjoy your Evening" :)

"

And what did you think? Lol some of the reviews are actually not completely terrible lol (though I knew of the show, I actually didn't realize till now that it was by David Hare). http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1987/-The-Knife-A-Musical-Starring-Mandy-Patinkin-Opens-Off-Broadway/id-eba1f213ce4c415bd3da015a1f7e00d5

smidge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm curious what people think are the possible reasons for Grand Hotel not being revived. It may not be a prospective sure fire hit but I'm sure it will be a crowd pleaser 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile PhotoJeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Someone suggested to Roundabout Theatre Company about producing Grand Hotel in a future season, and Roundabout responded with...

“The original production by Tommy Tune made the choreography and overall vision as much a part of the piece’s success as the content itself. So who would be the right artist to take on that legacy and come up with a fresh way of looking at this material?”

10086sunset
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dont laugh...Okay, laugh....

Starlight Express...

Valentina3 Profile PhotoValentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Someone suggested to Roundabout Theatre Company about producing Grand Hotel in a future season, and Roundabout responded with...

“The original production by Tommy Tune made the choreography and overall vision as much a part of the piece’s success as the content itself. So who would be the right artist to take on that legacy and come up with a fresh way of looking at this material?”
"

Probably Andy Blankenbuehler, so Tune can crib about not being part of the new creative team.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
christinelavin Profile Photochristinelavin Profile Photo
christinelavin
Stand-by
Stand-by

The Drowsy Chaperone.  Danny Burstein was nominated for "Aldolpho" -- I'd give anything to see him in that role again.  I'd love to see the original cast reunited - Edward Hibbert, Sutton Foster, Georgia Engel, Beth Leavel (who DID win the Tony), Troy Britton Johnson, Jason & Garth Kravitz (the BEST pastry chef/criminals EVER), Lenny Wolpe, Jennifer Smith, Kecia Lewis-Evans, Joey Sorge, Patrick Wetzel -- did I miss anybody? I saw that show so many times and saw so many surprising star turns -- Bob Saget was a most wonderful "Man In Chair" and never cussed once.  NOT ONCE.  Robert Martin wrote and originated that part, so he totally owned it, but I always thought they should have come up with a special Tony for the most original, touching, sweet, funny and totally surprising performance of "Man In Chair" -- Patrick Wetzel.  

He started in the show as a dancing bellhop, graduated to Best Man George -- was terrific -- but was a total revelation as "Man In Chair."  I'll never forget the night I saw him play that part -- had no idea he was going to do it.  By complete coincidence, after the performance I went with friends to that restaurant at the top of the Marriott that slowly spins around to find the cast up there celebrating with him and I got to tell him how much I LOVED his performance.  He was so gracious and humble.

I don't know Patrick -- I'm just a fan -- and I don't live in NYC anymore -- but if you know him and are reading this, please tell him the night I saw him as "Man In Chair" is one of those indelible theater nights I will never forget. 

theatregoer3 Profile Phototheatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Tommy

Chess

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile PhotoJeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Valentina3 said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Someone suggested to Roundabout Theatre Company about producing Grand Hotel in a future season, and Roundabout responded with...

"

Probably Andy Blankenbuehler, so Tune can crib about not being part of the new creative team.
"

Tommy Tune has mentioned before that he's not interested in doing revivals, so I don't think you'd see him complaining.

My choice would be Warren Carlyle.

NOWaWarning Profile PhotoNOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I'm a little surprised no revival of Kiss of the Spider Woman has come to fruition.