Page: 1

Texas Chainsaw -- (gasp) exploitive!

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Texas Chainsaw -- (gasp) exploitive!#0
Posted: 1/30/04 at 4:12pm
Some group of shrinks with their noses out of joint is protesting the remake of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE because it "exploits and stigmatizes schizophrenics and other mentally ill persons..." Pu-leeeze! And Norman Bates exploits mamas boy necrophiliac shower slashing taxidermists. With a flourish, I might add.

I hope John Hinkley gets a placard and protests, his first weekend out. Which I hope is around 2055 when I'm outta here.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Texas Chainsaw -- (gasp) exploitive!#1
Posted: 1/30/04 at 4:15pm
Interestingly, both films (or ALL the films if you include, Psycho, the Psycho remake, the original Texas Chainsaw and the remake and the Psycho and Chainsaw sequels [that's right, we see you too Renee Zelweger]) are based on the exploits of the same serial killer, Ed Gein. HE'S the aggrieved party, here. Was he a man in black and white or in color?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I could see protesting the 'Texas Chainsaw' remake for being awful, though.
magruder Profile Photomagruder Profile Photo
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The story is more complicated than that. The psychiatrists are complaining about the remake's title in Greece, which translates as "The Schizophrenic Chainsaw Killer". I've linked the Reuters story about it. Perhaps GreekMusicalFan can weigh in.

Reuters
"Gif me the cobra jool!"
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Greeks don't have a word for 'Texas?'

How about 'Texas?'
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The story is still faintly ridiculous. I'm all for sensitivity to mental illness. Andrea Yates shouldn't get the chair. (Her husband should've had a vasectomy, however). The homeless shouldn't be turned loose on the street, ever. And schizophrenics shouldn't work around power tools, in Texas or Athens.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/30/04 at 04:38 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe "Texas" would be a turn off to the Greeks. I know it's a turn off to me. The Greeks, however, are not. I HOPE YOU'RE BEHIND ME ON THIS, Greekmusicalfan.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Updated On: 1/30/04 at 04:38 PM
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As a certified therapist I can say with some confidence that good 'ole leatherface is not schizophrenic. So the tile in Greece is a sad misnomer.
I will agree with Johnpopa that the movie itself is vile trash. Probably one of the worst moviegoing experiences I've ever had the misfortune of having.