Page: 1

The Democrats 'Macho Mania'

MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Democrats 'Macho Mania'#0
Posted: 1/30/04 at 3:11pm
THE VOICE this week features an especially astute Richard Goldstein column about the Democrats' desperate need to appear butch.

Thoughts?
The Democrat's' Macho Mania
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Democrats 'Macho Mania'#1
Posted: 1/30/04 at 4:28pm
I much enjoyed this piece, and certainly agree with its basic thesis about the seeming triumph of butch-i-fication in America(WICKED speak serves here). And I really appreciated the comments about the ludicrous softening up Clark. Why put up John Wayne and ask him to look and behave like Alan Alda? (Of course, we've already been through our Alan Alda -- the premature ejaculating weenie of the endorsement season, Al Gore.) If you want a general to take on a solider manque like Dubwa, give him all the central casting trappings. Clark in Argyle is like the queer guys in Brooke Brothers, a pointless exercise in wannabe sensibility.

But I am tired of reading about Dean's perceived hysteria as a reason for his failure. The news out of Iowa was Dean's miscalculation in strategy (and denial of the electability issue), and big, startling loss. The scream was after the shocker; just the symbol of his floundering, not the actual floundering. If he'd been even close to Kerry, the speech would've gone unnoticed, and he would've had teeth in N.H.

And I really don't think Dean's pereceived weakness is a lack of butchness. To me, he's the opposite -- butch in the worse sense -- he's everybody's neighbor from hell, the wild-eyed guy who'd beat you up or sue your pants off ya if your dog peed on his roses. He's the confrontational Yup from hell. That hardly makes him "hysterical." It makes hims a scary -- butch -- man.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/30/04 at 04:28 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: The Democrats 'Macho Mania'#2
Posted: 1/30/04 at 4:53pm
"... the wild-eyed guy who'd beat you up ..." WHY did that make me feel all giddy inside? There I go again, eroticizing the oppressor. Same thing happens to me when papalovesmambo writes in a German accent.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: The Democrats 'Macho Mania'#3
Posted: 1/30/04 at 4:55pm
I don't know what he's talking about. Kerry looked like Eva Peron in the Times today.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Na-mo an' Pa-Pa sittin' inna tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!.."
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vonce more mitt Bavarian accent!
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
can i just say that i am darn happy to be mentioned in the "macho" thread!

und i haff no idea vhat zee namo ees talkink aboot, viss ziss deutch accent. now vhar ess mein brown shirt?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 1/30/04 at 05:14 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo - I had the same giddiness to "the premature ejaculating weenie". It's just so endearing.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As the author of both endearing-deemed images, I'm just delighted to be useful.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling