ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photojacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ABC to present DIRTY DANCING 3-hour TV event (not live, but pre-filmed ala Fox's upcoming ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW EVENT.)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/08/dirty-dancing-abc

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm surprised it's not a Disney title.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile PhotoJeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

plus it is such a terrible show.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Stew123
Stand-by
Stand-by
bwaylyric Profile Photobwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Are they gonna have Josh Groban and Kelly Clarkson sing "I've Had the Time of My Life"?

"She's Like the Wind" sung by Nick Jonas?

Mr. Nowack Profile PhotoMr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sounds terrible.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Love that movie! Hope this project is good, but you really can hardly ever match a great movie.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jane abandon all hope unless this show has been completely re written since it played Toronto some years back. I too had fond wishes for a good adaptation. Totaly disapointed. Sorry.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Theater_Nerd Profile PhotoTheater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Color me underwhelmed...and unimpressed.

ABC should have been smarter and mined their parent company's (Disney) treasure trove of musical properties for something a lot more impressive than "Dirty Dancing".

This is a complete missed opportunity on their part.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I already hate it.

What a waste.

....but the world goes 'round
RW3 Profile PhotoRW3 Profile Photo
RW3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I hope she is better in this than she is in Scream Queens right now. She is godawful in Scream Queens.

Scarywarhol Profile PhotoScarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

How the hell is this what they pick with Disney's library. 

ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I see this bombing big time. Probably Max or Val Chmerkovskiy will be Johnny. I'm calling it now.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
bwaylyric Profile Photobwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Johnny didn't have a Russian accent, so they will go with Derek Hough.

VintageSnarker
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"I hope she is better in this than she is in Scream Queens right now. She is godawful in Scream Queens."

This. I'm actually pretty fond of the movie as cheesy as it is. But this does not sound like a good idea. Also, why is it three hours when the movie is 100 minutes? How many commercials are there going to be?

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I could almost watch three hours of the dirty dancing scene, lol.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
ebontoyan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

What for??! I love the movie but the musical production (touring) was one of the most boring I've seen this year. Lots of dancing but no singing

RippedMan Profile PhotoRippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Are we sure it's the current musical version? So it went from national tour straight to ABC broadcast? Can she even sing? Can she dance? Doesn't seem the best idea. I mean.... she just doesn't fit the type for the part. 

Mr. Nowack Profile PhotoMr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't believe the leads sing in the stage version.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Plannietink08 Profile PhotoPlannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
gypsy101 Profile Photogypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm surprised NBC let her do this, since she's worked there for the last 20 years or so.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
LaurenG3
Swing
Swing

Former Dancing with the Stars pro Henry Byalikov auditioned for the role of Johnny yesterday:

https://twitter.com/SergesSquad/status/688145444904435712

If he gets the role, I'm guessing this will be a huge flop as he hasn't acted in a thing in his life. Actually, I'm betting this will be terrible with whoever is casted as Johnny. I mean, Abigail Breslin as Baby? Why??? 

mc1227 Profile Photomc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Very distressed to hear this.  Some things should be left untouched, they are memorable for all these years for a reason.  Remake things that people don't remember and make them better.  Or, dare I dream, create material that will be remembered 30 years from now!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.
hork Profile Photohork Profile Photo
hork
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Or, let ABC create content that they think will make them money and it's only ABC so who gives a crap? Is there not enough memorable material on television already?