BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#0
Posted: 1/24/04 at 6:33pm
The weather is so cold in NYC that when i left the gym my hair froze. I never remember a winter this cold in NYC.
Brrrrrr. Do you think it is impacting ticket sales?
I know i just wanted to race home.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#1
Posted: 1/24/04 at 6:46pm
I just finished watching the news and they said it's about 1 degree out, and that's without a wind chill factor. re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I drove to Brooklyn yesterday to take my Grandmother to the store because she doesn't drive, and just getting from my car to the front door of her building was crazy. There was so much ice; and she lives on Shore Road (right near the water), so it was freezing. I feel so bad for the elderly people that live there. It will be so difficult for them to get out for the next week or so.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#2
Posted: 1/24/04 at 7:06pm
I can't remember such a thaw-less period in NY. Even Penn Station and the first floor of Macys are shiver-inducing. That feeling -- that you can't warm up -- it is worse than the lack of sun on the pineal gland, or whatever the hell S.A.D.D. is. The whole next week is more of same, with two snow falls predicted before Wednesday.

I do know, when it's like this, s---w the Atkins diet, I want wine and pasta. And not the healthy kind. Carbonara and beyond. I'll have the Al Roker surgery at Easter.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#3
Posted: 1/24/04 at 7:17pm
Actually I don't mind the cold. It's a cozy time of year. The fireplace is getting a good workout (thankfully we cut down another maple this summer!), the scented candles have the house smelling like gingerbread, and I keep a huge pot of water simmering on the stove to ward off the chill (I've thrown some spices in the water and it, too, is scenting the air). I have some Mozart playing and a fresh pot of coffee brewing. Who's complaining?
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#4
Posted: 1/24/04 at 7:56pm
Sounds great Dolly!

I have Ravel playing and Chinese food on the way. A film to watch later. A quiz to create. A budget to refine.

And some offers to see who wears what to sleep.

Bulldog

Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#5
Posted: 1/24/04 at 8:07pm

I hate snow. My wheelchair hates snow. I cant go anywhere after a couple inches sticks.

-Christina
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#6
Posted: 1/24/04 at 8:35pm
Mistress, you have to be creative and turn your wheelchair into a sleigh. Remember, "when life deals you lemons, make lemonade!"
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ill have to do that one day. I am gonna try adaptive skiing with some friends in Colorado next winter, maybe ill like snow more then.

-Christina
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's the spirit! How about wheelchair ice skating?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I never heard of that but if you wanna check out the skiing:
http://www.nscd.org/recreation/technique.html

-Christina
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Christina-

That site is fascinating. My friend has a daughter with multiple congenital handicaps who skis all winter, but I'd never been aware of all the variations. You'd be doing the bi-ski technique?

In the mid-90s, I was wheel-chair bound for several months following an accident. I felt so vulnerable the entire time. Maybe it wasn't for long enough to develope a comfort level, or maybe I'm just gutless, but I can't imagine giving this a try. (The case might also be made that I was scared sh*tless on my one trip to the slopes on regular skis....never got off the baby hill....fortifying the gutless reasoning...) I'm in awe of people, like you, who take their given set of circumstances and find ways to live life to the fullest. Please report back when you go.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think ticket sales are being too impacted on Broadway at least.... I saw the matinee of I Am My Own Wife yesterday and the only empty seat in the orchestra level was next to me.

The Met has been empty lately, but since I do standing room there, it works out for me because I get to sit.

I have Strauss' Emperor's Waltz playing, a cup of Cafe Vienna and the plans to go see Something's Gotta Give later today. Good weekend, dwindling finances notwithstanding.
NYCbabe3789 Profile PhotoNYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is FREEZING here. I saw Hairspray last night and waited at the stage door. By the time I left my face was fingers were completely numb.

I think it's possible that the weather could affect ticket sales. Out-of-towners may not want to come to NYC this season because of the weather.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And the homeless. I bet it's even harder for them in the cold to beg for money to get tickets to Wonderful Town or whatever they're loving this season.
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yeah since itll be my first time, I would be on the bi ski. Ive had my disability my whole life so Im pretty comfortable with it, and I do some exciting things. I like driving ATVs. whooohooo. :)

-Christina
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#15
Posted: 1/25/04 at 3:45pm
And the homeless animals. Even the wild animals. Where do they all go when it gets this cold?

Poor babies. Please remember to try to check under your hood before you start your car. There may be some little animal--a cat or skunk or whatever trying to find a warm place.

Leave a little food out for them, if you can. I know, I know it just brings them back but put the food in your far back yard or something. Don't begrudge them a little something in their belly.

I said I wouldn't do it but the cat lady next store got taken away to rehab (they can and did another cat cleaning but as always managed to miss a few) and I feed the ones left and I put a blanket on her side of house so they would have something to cuddle up in when it gets cold.

D
Broadwaylady Profile PhotoBroadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#16
Posted: 1/25/04 at 4:05pm
I just took a sick stray, who was tame, to a vet, it could never have lived in this cold, paid a few hundred to fix her up and test her, and the Humane I work with took her. What is wrong with helping helpless animals that are in that bitter cold? I don't mind being called The Cat Lady. That woman you talk about at least has a heart. This kitty is now comforting people in a nursing home. She was so sweet and laid back the director took her there for a day. They make keep her there and she will have her home there. See, there is a God.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
BroadwayNYC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#17
Posted: 1/25/04 at 4:08pm
Actually I'm sure people shouldn't worry too much about the wild or stray animals...after all nature gave them enough fur to keep themselves warm...it is the homeless people I worry about.
I was walking down 5th ave around 35 st. last week, and I saw a woman, probably not over 30, covered in black garbage bags and a couple dirty blankets around her. Honestly it almost made me cry. Obviously I don't know her situation but I really felt bad. I should have given her something, but I didn't. I just don't know, because you have to think of other things like "will she buy drugs with it" or what if someone sees me giving her money and follows me to mug me or something!
I feel for the animals, but you must think of the people first...especially the young homeless people. How awful.
"Everything's coming up roses, this time for me!"
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#18
Posted: 1/25/04 at 4:10pm
Ya. When I saw RENT in Cleveland on my way to the stage door, a man/women was lying on a heater rolling around trying to keep warm...very sad sight to see. We should all be thankful for what we have.
CCM '10!
Updated On: 1/25/04 at 04:10 PM
Broadwaylady Profile PhotoBroadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#19
Posted: 1/25/04 at 4:14pm
I do not just help strays/animals, I always give money to homeless people. I always take my dinner that is left over also when I am in the city. I work at a soup kitchen once a month.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
Updated On: 1/25/04 at 04:14 PM
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#20
Posted: 1/25/04 at 4:21pm
There is a difference in having a heart and having so many cats that when the wind blows from the direction of that house you gag.

I love animals. I do. I'm even soft hearted to bees and lizards but there are limits to what you can take care of.

I have 2 dogs, neither a breed, one from a shelter and one a freebie given away at the local Walmart who would have been taken to the pound.

The vet bill costs me $100.00 each once a year because they get every shot they need. That's not to mention, heart worm pills, thyroid pills for Bear and the powder Brandi needs because of her conditon. I can afford this and so gladly. BUT it would be irresponsible of me to take in another dog because I could not afford to do those things for yet another one not to mention 10, 15, 20 or more.

Yes, the lady has a heart but she is also heartless because while she does provide some food, she is going without herself and none of those cats see a vet ever. They are not fixed and are having babies on top of babies.

Being kind means also knowing your limits to be kind. To the animal, to yourself, and to those around you.

D
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#21
Posted: 1/25/04 at 6:22pm
BroadwayNYC, I totally understand your concerns about taking out money in public to give to someone. Perhaps next time you could bring them a cup of hot chocolate or coffee and something to eat. That way you wouldn't be taking your money out in the street and you know they wouldn't be purchsing alcohol. :)

I am currently making a big pot of vegetable soup. :) It smells so good, I wish it were finished cooking already.
This way I'll have a nice big bowl of warm soup to eat while I watch the Golden Globes this evening. re: re: re:   BRRRRRRRRRRRRR
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
BroadwayNYC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#22
Posted: 1/25/04 at 7:24pm
That's not a bad idea, Theatrebaby! Yes I thought about buying them food and give it to them. I always keep extra dollars in my pocket and try to just drop it in front of them without making it too obvious.

I am thinking about volunteering somewhere, somehow. At homeless shelters or whatever. I really don't know how to go about it though. As I healthy and able person, I just feel I must. I don't know but it really bothers me to see homeless people, all alone in the world. Esp. now since its winter and very cold. I am very cold all the time now, and if God forbid I was homeless in this weather, I know I wouldn't last till morning.
"Everything's coming up roses, this time for me!"
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#23
Posted: 1/25/04 at 7:37pm
We are very fortunate. re: re: re: re: re:   BRRRRRRRRRRRRR
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: BRRRRRRRRRRRRR#24
Posted: 1/25/04 at 11:01pm
Animals and people, BAH! How are the Broadway shows doing? Please, people, let's all keep our priorities straight.

Also, what is this place DofB5 mentions, this "far back yard?"
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile