Page: 1

Loyola aborts "Vagina"; another triumph for academia

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So Loyola has opted to halt a student production of "The Vagina Monologues." Another defining moment in freedom of expression and academia. And Catholicism. It's fascinating that the play's been cancelled because of "language."

To be fair, I heard all those priests who are running the place tried to be flexible, you know, to call Ms. Ensler's opus "The Down There Monologues," but those pesky, militant gals said no thanks.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/24/04 at 02:35 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All right, Auggie. Thank god the coffee mug was in front of my face for the spit take.

Of course private institutions have the right to ban whatever they want from their premises. But this one surprises me, given the Catholic Church's history of dealing with sex and the human body in the most open and progressive ways. One would think that the celebration of the orifice through which the Baby Jesus himself once passed would fit in perfectly with the worldview of an institution that only recently publicly decided that it was no longer cool for its Earthly representatives of Jesus to play Pet the Peeper with young and impressionable boys.

Still, I'm sure the Mass will soon be altered to include that portion of the Vag Monologues where everybody gets to shout that word. What was it? I can't remember, I'll get the script back from my friend early next week and I'll see you next Tuesday with the answer.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
MyQueenPattiLupone Profile PhotoMyQueenPattiLupone Profile Photo
MyQueenPattiLupone
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
The Vagina Monologues is a beautiful and empowering show. I'm currently in my college's production of it, and get to perform the monologue "My Angry Vagina" - I'm proud of that toore: re: Loyola  aborts 'Vagina'; another triumph for academia

Namo...I think the monologue you might be thinking about is "Reclaiming Cunt"
I Love Rick Lyon ::Sigh::
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Look closely. I said it. But without saying it in a way that would get my post deleted. Tho I just spilled the beans! re: re: re: Loyola  aborts 'Vagina'; another triumph for academia
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Pet the Peeper"?!?!
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I made that up. Doesn't it sound fun? Among consenting adults?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Those gals just want to provoke.

Bulldog.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nope. Those girls are just finding out about the realities of pursuing the arts in a religious institution. One would think it wouldn't be a big deal to talk about one's vagina, should one feel so inclined, but my guess is that someone powerful with deep pockets had a problem.

I once saw Woody Allen's God, a play decidedly at odds with the school's theologic base, at Drew. Didn't seem to be a problem. Of course, no one said the "v" word, so maybe that made a difference.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you wanna REALLY shake up the bevy of Fathers -- or at least get their robe-clad bottoms in the seats and make some money -- how about substituting a brand new theater piece:

"The After-the-Middle School-Swim Meet Monologues"

I'm sure they'd cheer, adolescent sports afficianados that they are.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/24/04 at 07:26 PM
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Bulldog has a point.

They HAD to know this might happen. Hello-o-o-?! It's a play about the EMPOWERING OF WOMEN (or WYMYN) at a JESUIT UNIVERSITY!!! I'm not agreeing with Loyola on this, but the students must have had SOME inkling they were putting spark to tinder.

At what school did those kooky kids THINK they were? Sarah Lawrence?!?!
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
meljuda
Swing
Swing
A William Jewel University, a Baptist university in Missouri has always been a little too much on the liberal side for the Missouri Baptist Convention's taste, but they have still funded them. Recently they did the VM as a student directed show. Not a month later the Missouri Baptist Convention voted to withdraw funding from the school. In otherwords, they kicked them out for doing the play!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And the Jesuits, for god's sake, are the reasonable ones. The "every side of the discussion" ones. The "let's really think this through" ones. To put it simply, "the smart ones."