Locals Who've Made it Big

Elphie Profile PhotoElphie Profile Photo
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Locals Who've Made it Big#0
Posted: 1/23/04 at 4:43pm
Hey Broadwayworld!
Did any Broadway performers come from your hometown?
Paige Price, who stared in Saturday Night Fever on Broadway and was featured in the original cast of Beauty and the Beast and later went on to play the role of Belle, grew up in my sleepy hometown. Community theaters around here who she performed with before her big break have her pictures everywhere. Though I do not know Paige personally, I did meet her when I was about 6 or 7 years old after seeing Beauty and the Beast. She was very nice and stayed awhile to chat with my family and me. She kept asking how our hometown was doing and if this and that was still there and all that jazz. I did get to see her in Saturday Night Fever, which I honestly didnt really enjoy, but it was in February and it was too cold to stay after. Even though I disliked the show, Paige gave a great performance.

How about you guys?
"They hear drums. We hear music."
mebice Profile Photomebice Profile Photo
mebice
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Locals Who've Made it Big#1
Posted: 1/23/04 at 4:50pm
Nessa in Wicked grew up about 30 minutes away from where i was born...does that count? And isn't Michael Cavanaugh from Cleveland?
CLEVELAND ROCKS CLEVELAND ROCKS!
Ohioioioioioioioio!
"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: re: Locals Who've Made it Big#2
Posted: 1/23/04 at 5:17pm
George M. Cohan was from my hometown!
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Locals Who've Made it Big#3
Posted: 1/23/04 at 5:39pm
Kathy Brier (currently playing Tracy in Hairspray).
Then again, it is Staten Island. I'm guessing there are a lot of other Broadway people from here of which I am not aware.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Locals Who've Made it Big#4
Posted: 1/23/04 at 5:42pm
Not exactly hometown, but Laura Benati was born about 45 min from where I live...and Jane Krakowski a bit closer...(close enough! re: re: re: Locals Who've Made it Big )
Elphie Profile PhotoElphie Profile Photo
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: Locals Who've Made it Big#5
Posted: 1/23/04 at 6:19pm
Woo!
I know she isnt a Broadway star, but Meryl Streep grew up about 20 minutes from me in a nice mountain town haha.
"They hear drums. We hear music."
Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile PhotoCrazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
paul reed,phobes boyfrined in friends, was born in my town. i think he lived here too.
"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"
emmamia Profile Photoemmamia Profile Photo
emmamia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
stephen buntrock (oklahoma) Naperville, IL
~*~ Little Boys Who Play With Fire Get Their Fingers Burned ~*~ Tanya (Mamma Mia)
chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Didnt a lot of broadway celebs come from chicago (my town=D)?
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Brooks Ashmankas, Jeff Brooks, Sally Struthers, Jane Powell, Patrick Page (currently in Lion King on Broadway and husband of Paige Davis, host of Trading Spaces and soon-to-be Roxie in Chicago) and Shoshana Bean (I actually did a show her mother choreographed last year) are all from my hometown, Portland, OR.
Updated On: 1/25/04 at 08:58 PM
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ivette Sosa (Eden's Crush/Popstars) went to my high school...okay, so *I* don't even remember them anymore- but they had the spotlight for a while! (and she still does theatre around NY...)
mamamia sammy Profile Photomamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Seany!!!
BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tons. The closest would probably be Mitchel David Federan (Young Peter in TBFO) from Solon, OH. Jessica Grove (Miss Dorothy u/s in Millie) from Columbus, OH. Michelle Federer (Nessarose in Wicked) from Shaker Heights, OH. Jennifer Gambatese (Penny in Hairspray) from Cleveland, OH. Gavin Creel (original Jimmy in Millie) from Findlay, OH. The creators of Urinetown are from Cleveland, also. The tour is currently in Cleveland, so they are here with their family. I forget some, but I know there a tons of performers from Ohio! re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Locals Who've Made it Big
CCM '10!
emmamia Profile Photoemmamia Profile Photo
emmamia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
yeah there are alot of famous chicagoans .... i just knew about stephen from reading an interview of his.

karen mason is another ... arlington heights
~*~ Little Boys Who Play With Fire Get Their Fingers Burned ~*~ Tanya (Mamma Mia)
Updated On: 1/23/04 at 11:32 PM
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Emma,
The Amazing Machota Man is from there as well..... do not leave HIM out.. Miss Mamma Mia Fan
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I used to see Hugh Jackman at a local suburban coffee shop. Rachel Griffiths lives nearby (about two years ago I nearly knocked her over in my car). My father (in his youth) dated Zoe Caldwell a couple of times.
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Samantha Morton lived down the road from me. Everyone has a story to tell..
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who is Samantha Morton, Jake?

Bulldog
Maggie Profile PhotoMaggie Profile Photo
Maggie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ernest Borgnine is from my hometown.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lee Wilkoff is from here; as is soap actor (and frequent stage player) David Canary, not to mention musicians Macy Gray and Marilyn Manson.

That's from Canton, Ohio, anyway. I wouldn't consider anyone scattered throughout the state to be 'local.'
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I taught Robert Cuccioli and coaxed him into auditioning for his first stage role in high school.

Isabella Rosellini lives one block behind my house.

I had one student who I thought would have a brilliant career in radio. Then he went for a sex change operation and ruined his booming voice.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My uncle bedded Tallulah Bankhead. Does that count?

Bulldog
PennyLou Profile PhotoPennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think any Broadway stars are from here (yet) But my home town is also the town John Bonjoivi grew up and one of the cast members of the west wing, and I also think I heard the boy from Hows the boss lived here b4 that show.
Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am glad you do not consider people scattered across Ohio local. Good for you! re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Locals Who've Made it B I do...
CCM '10!
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does that mean that Paul Reed lives "over the George Washington Bridge"? Geeze, as many times as I've driven across that bridge I've never seen people habitating above it. I'll have to be more attentive on my next trip to New Jersey.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)