Page: 1

Ann Miller Stories?

WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann Miller Stories?#0
Posted: 1/23/04 at 10:10am
We have all heard them. Can we try to put them in one place?

First off, Ann did have some self-awareness. She loved being the High Priestess of Camp. She also knew it was paying her bills. She was also enough of a pro to adjust her costuming as she aged. Specifically she would wear multiple pairs of tights to keep her famous legs solid-looking during her dances. I have heard that eventually it was as many as six. Smart girl.

But she was also famously daffy--not stupid, Ginger Rogers was stupid--but just ditzy.

--She once wrote on her tax forms under occupation, "STAR". Her advisor told her she couldn't do that so she amended it to read "STAR LADY".

--My favorite: Ann was at a concert in L.A. in 1970 marking the 10th anniversary of the passing of Oscar Hammerstein. She leaned over to her date, "Why isn't Oscar here with us tonight?"

He replied, "Annie, Oscar's been dead for ten years. That's why we're having this concert tonight"

Says Miss Miller, "Well how should I know? I've been out on the road in Mame!"

Who has more? We all know about falling down and breaking her hair....
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
rlbgbc Profile Photorlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ann Miller Stories?#1
Posted: 1/23/04 at 10:16am
I got one. She was being interviewed for the A&E Biography on Garland. While they were setting up, adjusting lights, etc., the interviewer remarked to Annie that Lucille Bremer, Garland's co-star in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, had just died that week.

Annie said "Oh, really? No, I hadn't heard that. That's a shame." Then she turned to her assistant and cracked, "You know who Lucille Bremer was, don't you? She was Arthur Freed's p**sy."

I love me a brassy broad. That can tap.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ann Miller Stories?#2
Posted: 1/23/04 at 10:20am
Ann is only peripherally involved in one of my favorites.

During the 1976 press junket for A STAR IS BORN, Barbra & Jon Peters (and whatever happened to HIM?) showed a clip of the film where Barbra is wearing a tuxedo. "I wore that because it is an empowering symbol of how far women have come in the world" said Streisand (I'm paraphasing a wee bit). At that, the late Arthur Bell leaned over to a colleague and cracked: "Who raised HER Women's Consciousness - Ann Miller?"
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
QueenS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: re: Ann Miller Stories?#3
Posted: 1/23/04 at 11:46am
I have two good ones:

During Sugar Babies, Mickey and Anne had a bit that they regularly did at one of their many curtain calls. However, one night, Mickey didn't do whatever it was that she was expecting, but left the stage.

Anne was a huff in the wings. "I can't believe he left me out there with cheese on my face!" she yelled in the wings.

The ASM hesitated for a moment, then summoned up the guts to correct her. "Actually, Ms. Miller, the expression is 'egg on your face.'"

Anne looked him dead in the face and said, "Egg. Cheese. It's all poultry."

But my favorite:

The cast of Sugar Babies was sitting around and as will happen, the subject turned to some very interesting subjects- one of which was FDS.

Anne couldn't figure out what they were talking about, so she asked about it. Someone explained that it was similar to regular deoderant, but instead of spraying under your arms, you spray "down below."

Anne looked horrified. "Oh, I couldn't do that," she exclaimed. "Then all my boyfriends would say that I didn't smell like the same old Annie!"
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Ann Miller Stories?#4
Posted: 1/23/04 at 12:37pm
A company member in SUGAR BABIES asked Annie if she was gonna work on Passover. Annie replied "Oh, no, Honey, I never do gameshows!"
PEACE.
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Ann Miller Stories?#5
Posted: 1/23/04 at 1:29pm
*gasp* Ginger wasn't stupid!!!!
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Rob Profile PhotoRob Profile Photo
Rob
Team BWW
Team BWW
FrontRow
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Ann Miller Stories?#7
Posted: 1/23/04 at 2:51pm

I immediately thought of the Forbidden Broadway number. Possibly from the original, since it was spoofing Sugar Babies. To the tune of That's Entertainment, Ann Miller sang about: "...when I killed L.B. Mayer by hitting him with my hair!"
FrontRow
Stand-by
Stand-by
Ann Miller Stories?#8
Posted: 1/23/04 at 3:06pm

Does anyone remember the 1983 or '84 Grammy Awards, when Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney (still riding the Sugar Babies popularity) presented the award for best show album? They both seemed completely clueless about any of the nominees, and possibly about what they were doing there in the first place. I believe CATS won, but no one was present to accept. So they start calling out another nominee (LA CAGE AUX FOLLES), like they were going to go down the list till someone was present and that would be the winner. I remember Ann Miller looking out into the audience saying "La Cage [or Cats], are you here?"

Daffy is the word for it!
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ann Miller Stories?#9
Posted: 1/23/04 at 6:49pm
This isn't remotely a howler, but it reveals the unique and subjective way she viewed (her role in) show biz.

She was a member of the Academy, who baldly and even proudly admitted she never actually SAW most of the movies nominated for the Oscars, or the knew one "kid" who starred in them from another. When pressed if it's fair to do so, she was clueless: "Oh honey, 'course I haveta' vote. I can't let all those kids down."
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Ann Miller Stories?#10
Posted: 1/23/04 at 9:10pm
I have the Grammy Awards fiasco on tape somewhere. When Cats wins and there isn't anyone there to collect she says "Andrew Lloyd Webber? (long pause)...is he, or she here? (pause, embarrassed silence from crowd)no? no...it's a him I think"

Another, small wigs for matinees and big one's for evening shows.
Chevstriss
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Ann Miller Stories?#11
Posted: 1/24/04 at 12:36am
This from the writer of Sugar Babies (who was my univ. Prof at the time)

Stepping out of the Plaza one evening a Central Park buggy trots by.

Annie: (Points)I once got laid in one of those.

Ralph: Really Miss Miller? Which one of your husbands was that?

Annie: HUSBAND? You think I'd marry someone who had to screw me in a carriage?
I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog
Updated On: 1/24/04 at 12:36 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Ann Miller Stories?#12
Posted: 1/24/04 at 7:38am
Ann Miller didn't throw her money around. A friend of mine toured with Sugar Babies. One night Ann admired my friends false eyelashes. My friend explained she sent away for them to L.A. Ann sent her secretary down to the chorus dressing room with a couple of dollars asking my friend to get her a set next time she was ordering some. Four weeks later the lashes hadn't arrived, Ann sent the secretary down to get her $2 back!
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Ann Miller Stories?#13
Posted: 1/24/04 at 11:59am
Another one... from rlb's friend (small world, keeds)!

Annie on Vincente Minnelli: "That man wore more eye shadow that I did! He was so flaming, you wanted to shut all the windows to make sure he wouldn't fly away!"
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"