Page: 1

Dangerous Celebtrity Trend

SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#0
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:25pm
I just saw Randy Jackson on Ellen's show. He has lost over 100 lbs. in 6 monthts. Not through changing his eating habits or working out but by getting his stomache stapled.
Carney Wilson is a spokesperson for the company that did her surgery.
Al Roker lost a ton and ended up on People magazine showing off his new physique due to the same procedure.

I think this is an alarmingly dangerous message to send out to obese people who may not have the money these celebs have. Now I am sure there are people who need this to save their lives, but what are the dangers involved?

Randy said he basically ate what he wanted and did not excersize before his surgery, and Al is doing some food show that I saw him promoting with a shot of him with cookies and cake, for crying out loud.

Where are the people (Amneris I am so proud of you) that lose weight the old fashoned way, through nutritional changes and excercize.

Anyone else find this troubling?
PEACE.
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#1
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:32pm
Well, some people do have problems losing weight. Especially for extremely obese people. Someone who is so large that they can barely move won't be able to do the exercises that Amneris (congrats!) could do like situps and lifting weights.

I think that if the person is so large that their weight is a danger to their health, than they should get the procedure done if they want. But personally, I don't believe Al Roker or Randy Jackson really needed it. If they worked hard enough, they could have lost the weight.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#2
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:35pm
Everyone wants fast and easy! (insert BG2 comment) I'd really like to know if Anna Nicole really only swallowed a pill, or if they hired her a team of food police.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#3
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:40pm
That is my point, Joizey, did they really need it? I predict Reuben will be next.
PEACE.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#4
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:40pm
I know someone personally who has had this procedure done with great results. Of course, after having it done she maintained a diet of healthy, low fat foods and exercises regularly.

I think there may have been some health concerns for Al Roker. The procdure is meant to be used on obese people who cannot wait yeras to get the weight off due to high blood pressure, diabetes or heart conditions. When one is that large it does take a very long time to loose the weight necessary for improved health. As Joizy Actor said, they are not able to exercise enough to get the weight off as quickly as someone trying to loose a lesser amount. Also, when you are that large, exercise can actually harm more than help due to teh strain on the heart.

After the procedure, the eprson is supposed to follow up with diet counseling and has to follow a pretty regimented eating pattern mainly due to teh decresed size of the stomach.

http://www.danperezgallery.com
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#5
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:47pm
I know four people (non-celebs) who have had this procedure done. 2 of them are fine, one had some difficulties because she did not follow the dietary rules afterwards, and one of them died during the surgery. re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend It is a very dangerous procedure...as is any surgery. I would not reccomend it unless you have really tried everything else and have been unsuccessful at losing weight, and only if you are at a serious health risk.
I can't believe I'm about to admit this on a public forum, but oh well re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend lol I am currently trying to lose about 60 lbs. But I don't consider what I'm doing to be a diet. It's more like a change in my life-style. Diets are fads, and they don't work. You end up cheating, sneaking food, cutting out one thing that may be fatty, yet still eating something else that is just as bad for you. And once you lose the weight you go right back to those unhealthy habits. Changing one's lifestyle means for the rest of your life...not just for a month or two. Sure, it's going to be really difficult, and there are going to be times when I am going to be dying for fast food or chocolate; but I would rather look and feel healthier for the rest of my life than give into a craving that only lasts a little while.

Of course, I say this now. lol I only started this yesterday. But I am more determined to do this than I have been for anything in my life.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#6
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:49pm
I agree, Orion, but my concern is that the publicity is making this seem like a quick fix. And Roker seems to be saying "Look, now I can eat cookies and cake and not worry about my weight." Which is exactly the permission people who struggle with their weight are dying for. It just seems irresponsible to promote this on the cover of magazines at the check out line of the grocery store.
PEACE.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#7
Posted: 1/20/04 at 2:52pm
I have a friend who did it, too. You do have to watch what you eat when you have it done--in fact, your body doesn't give you a choice. If you eat too much or if you eat the wrong things, you get sick. So, it isn't as easy a fix as you might think. You still have to behave. This procedure aids those who can not lose weight to do so. It is extreme. We don't yet know the long term effects, but for many, it is better than the heart problems and diabetes that can result.

A dear friend of mine has a severe weight problem. She doesn't binge like the people you see on Oprah or Ricki. She has no medical reason for her obesity. Unfortunately, she is one of those people that medical science hasn't been able to give a reason for her weight problem. Moving to NYC has forced her into a lot of physical activity, walking and stairs. This has allowed her to lose a lot of weight. We started the South Beach diet together--that has helped, too. Exercise is going to come soon, too. I pray that this will finally do the trick.

It should also be noted that many health insurance companies cover the cost of this procedure now. In fact, if my friend had stayed at her former job, she could have had it done--for free, save copayments.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What Al Roker did was very irresponsible. I'm sure he can have cookies and cakes--but in moderation.
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I haven't seen the article with Al but, from what you're saying, it sounds like he's being a bit irresponsible if that's the way he's presenting it. I would hope that the doctors who peform this procedure are not going to allow just anyone to walk in and have it done. there are risks with the surgery itself and some very dangerous effects after the procedure for people who don't follow the diet and exercise advice that's given to them.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, but if you want something enough, you can *always* find a doctor who will do it...(she said, jadedly)
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, you can always find a doctor to do unnecesary work as long as you're wiliing to pay for it. Just ask Michael Jackson or Joan Rivers.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm bewildered by Roker's food-centered profile on NBC and the Food network. Yes, he opted for surgery to halt the downpart spiral of his deteriorating health. And yes, it probably did save his life. But for 99% of the population, that severe type of operation and slow recuperation isn't even remotely a viable solution. Working people can't drop out of the assembly line, or step out from behind the cash register at WalMart to go off and get their guts stapled, and recover at home with a nurse and special Zone diet. Make no mistake: This is still a rich person's option.

Which is partly why I am bothered by the unavoidable (negative) symbolism of Roker's non-stop participation in cooking segments. He was always good ol barbecuin' Al, but now he's a born-again culinary expert who tastes everything and smiles knowingly at the camera. The timing -- his salivating over the art of fine dining on the heels of his insides being re-ordered so he doesn't explode -- is just too ironic in the worst sense.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/20/04 at 07:35 PM
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#14
Posted: 1/20/04 at 7:58pm
We have a lady at work that just did this, like in the last month just before Christmas. She's lost over 100 lbs and looks good but she still has to grind everything and drink it.

I wonder about the skin. I don't remember which talk show it was but they had a lady who did the surgery, lost the weight and had all this ugly (sorry but it was) hanging skin with no money to have it taken care of. I think they found a surgeon that was willing to help her for free but it was scary.

D
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#15
Posted: 1/21/04 at 1:21am
Auggie- the surgery is covered by a lot of people's insurance. The only "rich people" part of it is the skin removal part.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#16
Posted: 1/21/04 at 9:12am
It is NOT covered by all insurance. It is still an elective procedure, so don't asume it's available to all. But that wasn't really my point about it being a rich man's procedure. It's the entire package that goes with it that makes it life-style defined, including recovery time off from work, follow-up, etc.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#17
Posted: 1/21/04 at 12:01pm
did I say "all"?? I believe I carefully chose the word "a lot".

My health benefits at a non-profit theatre would have covered most to all of the costs minus copayments. And others in this thread have mentioned people (who are not rich) who have been able to do this. I'm just trying to point out that it is becoming more and more of an option for regular joes in need of it.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Dangerous Celebtrity Trend#18
Posted: 1/21/04 at 4:06pm
9 years ago I lost 60 lbs that had appeared as the result of a chemically induced menopause. When the meds stopped I dieted exercised & dropped 50 lbs down to 110 the weight I was in university. Sadly however the REAL menopause has hit & with it a substantial weight gain amidst other physical changes. I still walk alot do free wts.& have never been a big junk fooder (OK I like my martinis!) but I recognize that this is part of life's little games AND when I look @ my patients & the "tsuris" they have I am pathetically grateful for how good my life is. Perspective is everything.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian