Should "Stage Dooring" Be Required?

broadway4life3
Understudy
Understudy
Should "Stage Dooring" Be Required?#1
Posted: 3/31/11 at 4:42am
I think producer's should add a clause in future contracts that requires Broadway actors to stage door. I'm really tired of all the stars who are too busy for their fans or can't be bothered spending the time. Audience members are entitled to an autograph! I mean you're paying enough to see a performance, it's the least they can do. Thoughts? Does anyone here agree? Disagree?
Understudy
Understudy
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#2
Posted: 3/31/11 at 4:59am
LOL
muscle23ftl Profile Photomuscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#2
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:05am
Thanks for posting this...the gift that keeps on giving...
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#3
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:14am
I do believe this must be a bad joke. In case it isn't though, please remember that an actor's job is to act. Nothing more, nothing less. Just because people crowd around the exit to their place of business does not mean they are or should be required to acknowledge your existence. You are paying to see a performance, not to get an autograph. Consider yourself lucky that some are even willing to give you the time of day.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#4
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:35am
Someone got in early for April Fools Day I think.
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#5
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:50am
Just a troll.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
HopeChanged
Stand-by
Stand-by
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#6
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:54am
No, it should not be required. The actors are not paid to pretend to be your friends after the show. They are paid to pretend to be characters during the show.
broadway4life3
Understudy
Understudy
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#7
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:19am
Consider myself lucky that they are even giving me the time of day? They should consider themselves lucky that I pay $130 to see them act! They are paid to be public figures and I do believe autographs come with the overall experience. That can make or break a theater goers experience with a show.

And the actors don't have to "pretend to be your friends", only sign the pictures and autographs that people are entitled to. Plus sometimes it's nice to meet actors even for a show you didn't see. I think it helps the communal aspects of Broadway and building the theater as a warm, welcoming place. It's pretty despicable that some actors don't stage door... after all who's supporting their celebrity status?

I know i've begun to send around a petition to a number of Broadway producers and a couple already support my ideas.
Kalimba Profile PhotoKalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#8
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:37am
Honey if the sense of entitlement you exhibit in this thread is any indication of what would be waiting for me outside the stagedoor, I would definitely leave by another exit.
broadway4life3
Understudy
Understudy
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#9
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:41am
Well soon it may not be your choice if producer's add a clause to future contract. And I don't think it's a large sense of entitlement. Audience members should receive pictures and autographs post show. It's part of what you pay for in those high ticket prices.
Updated On: 3/31/11 at 06:41 AM
wickedfan11 Profile Photowickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#10
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:46am
It's really not. For most shows, a very small percentage of the audience even knows about waiting by the stage door for autographs. I like to think that the people who do wait by the stage door are huge theatre fans that understand that the actors have lives off the stage. Signing autographs is not part of their job, just like many musicians and film actors don't sign autographs at their events.
wickedfan11 Profile Photowickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#10
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:46am
It's really not. For most shows, a very small percentage of the audience even knows about waiting by the stage door for autographs. I like to think that the people who do wait by the stage door are huge theatre fans that understand that the actors have lives off the stage. Signing autographs is not part of their job, just like many musicians and film actors don't sign autographs at their events.
phantomvegas2
Stand-by
Stand-by
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#12
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:47am
I feel like you don't have a clue about what you are saying... my heart goes out to you are your family.
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#13
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:51am
Ladies and Gentleman.

The OP is nothing but a Troll. He was here a few days ago and got most of his posts pulled. Looks like he's bucking for the same thing to happen.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
broadway4life3
Understudy
Understudy
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#14
Posted: 3/31/11 at 7:00am
Signing autographs is certainly a part of their job just like it's pretty much an unspoken requirement that shows must offer rush tickets. And dramamama611 what are you talking about? I haven't even been on the boards for a few days. I joined yesterday and I think you're confusing me with someone else.
Eris0303 Profile PhotoEris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#15
Posted: 3/31/11 at 8:38am
What I'd like to know is if there's a clause on the board that requires one of these threads every few weeks or so
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#16
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:19am
And the actors don't have to "pretend to be your friends", only sign the pictures and autographs that people are entitled

Where exactly on your ticket does it say that the performance comes with an autograph and a picture?
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Patash Profile PhotoPatash Profile Photo
Patash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#17
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:26am
I don't know what universe some of you live in, nor what you do for a living (if you make one). But I'm trying to picture any other profession where people would suggest that after a full day's work, employees should be required to stand around outside their place of employment and chat with strangers and sign things rather than go home to their families which they have now deserved.

I've never "stagedoored" and I can't understand the obsession about it. I pay money to see a performance. I see it and go home. Why should I want or need to stand around and talk with the people who just entertained me? Do the people who stage door, also wait and stand outside a restaurant they've just eaten in to chat with the servers when they get off work?

Is this some joke?
newintown Profile Photonewintown Profile Photo
newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#18
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:28am
I think actors should be required to have carnal relations with any audience member who desire them.
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#19
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:32am
I think actors should be required to have carnal relations with any audience member who desire them.

What about guys like Cheyenne Jackson who are desired by both genders? Should he be required to sleep with women or does he have an...out...clause?
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#20
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:34am
If they start adding the carnal clause to contracts, I may have to move back!
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
WestVillage Profile PhotoWestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#21
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:35am
I think stage-dooring should be banned. Theatres should have secret exits so the actors can leave without being annoyed by the likes of the OP. It is an intrusion on the actor's private life and personal time. They have finished their work and should be allowed to leave the building without incident, just like all of us who leave our offices after a day of work.
bwayphreak234 Profile Photobwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#22
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:55am
Absolutely not. How could someone even ASK if this should be required. It is not their job to sign to autographs, take pictures, or interact with fans after the show. It is not included in the price of your ticket and it is not in their contract. Nothing makes me more mad than people thinking actors should be required to come out after the show. It's even worse when people complain about an actor not being "nice enough".
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#23
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:03am
They have finished their work and should be allowed to leave the building without incident, just like all of us who leave our offices after a day of work.

You mean you don't sign autographs? There's always a crowd of people outside my office waiting for me. I sign as many autographs as I can every day.
newintown Profile Photonewintown Profile Photo
newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?#24
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:17am
Consider yourself lucky. I have to have carnal relations with the people outside my office.