Chicago / New York Round Up

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#1
Posted: 11/23/10 at 3:36pm
Chicago

Billy Elliot***** One of the greatest musicals around at the moment or even ever? Best movement you are likely top find in any show.

Story of my Life* I vaguely remember the plot, which wasn't very exciting in the first place. Easy to understand why this flopped on Broadway.

The Lion King**** Disney at its best, wonderful score and best costumes you are likely to see in a show. In Chicago for 2 months, first visit to Chicago for 5 years. House packed to the rim, I guess The Lion King gets this where ever it goes?

New York

Next to Normal***** Third time I have seen this on Broadway, sadly it will be my last time as it is closing in January. Great musical, great to see this again.

La Cage Aux Folles***** The Menier Chocolate factory makes it to Broadway, in a more glitzy way, been kind of airbrushed for New York. Great musical which I adore. Douglas Hodge is still sublime, Kelsey Grammar is very good, but not as good as Denis Lawson or Philip Quast.

The Addams Family***** I think I was the only person to enjoy this show when I saw this in March and pleased to say I enjoyed this again. I hope this comes to London.

A Little Night Music**** Great to see Broadway royalty in Bernedette Peters and Elaine Stritch, but this pairing was not as good as Catherine Zeta Jones and Angela Lansbury, but a classic Broadway show and worth seeing.

Radio City Christmas Spectacular*** a show that makes more money than all the shows on Broadway does all year put together, a amazing feat, however I feel I haven't seen anything new since I saw the show in 2007, I got a good discount on this show, but from thanksgiving until after Christmas this show will be packed, not sure why New Yorkers would want to go back every year. Still very cleverly done and entertaining.

Brief Encounter**** First play I have seen on Broadway, I really enjoyed the show and admired the ingenuity behind this production.

Promises, Promises***** Sean Hayes maybe not be the best singer on Broadway, but he can certainly act, a really enjoyable show, that I doubt we will see in London.

Woman on a Verge of a Nervous Breakdown** not a awful or terrible show, just a star ridden, set heavy bad show.

Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson*** Intriguing show, didn't have a interval as only lasted an 1:40 min, a well put together show, what a shame of the over use of profanity.

Scottsboro Boys**** A very enjoyable 2hr show, a show that is well directed, that shows a horrid stain in American history, which is interesting, wonder if this will last as Americans do not like self criticism? some great songs in the show, that is very well acted.

Overview

Only three new musicals to see on Broadway, with Spiderman being postponed, I probably would not of gone this time, would of opted to sit on a beach somewhere, whoops just done that in The Maldives.

With Bob a lot of the time, great company, knows his shows inside out.

Pick to come to London

Trip June 2009

Next to Normal

Trip March 2010

The Addams Family

November 2010

The Scottsboro Boys

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#2
Posted: 11/24/10 at 1:01pm
Interesting to see your comments, especially those that disagree with my views lol. Great to have shared your company in New York. I just got home and will post my own reports on the shows I saw when I start to become less of a zombie lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR*****
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#2
Posted: 11/24/10 at 1:18pm
"Americans do not like self criticism?" Huh?

It's criticism from outsiders that (wrongly) gets to Americans. They are endlessly self-critical as a look at the last fifty years of film, television and theatre amply demonstrates. If Scottsboro Boys ultimately fails it won't be because audiences don't agree with it but because it's just too depressing to dwell on.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#3
Posted: 11/24/10 at 1:46pm
No personal insult to you mallardo, as I know you are a regular poster on here and very welcome and American.

So what happened with Enron then?
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#4
Posted: 11/24/10 at 3:46pm
No, I didn't take it personally, I just thought your analysis was mistaken. Enron I can't explain but I know it wasn't because it was critical of American corporate greed.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#5
Posted: 11/24/10 at 8:09pm
Glad you didn't take it personally, I thought you wouldn't!

The only reason I can see that Enron flopped on Broadway, is because of the harsh home truths it told about a American corporation.

Enron had a reasonable write up on Broadway and a strong West End run.

Also for a play they get a lot more of the home crowd attend, where tourists are a lot more inclined to go and see musicals.

In a way it is good Americans are so patriotic and wish we had more of it in the UK.

However Scottsboro Boys time will only tell.
AwesomeDanny
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#6
Posted: 11/25/10 at 12:22am
I don't think that Enron really flopped because Americans don't like self-criticism--from what I heard, there were too many people who just got frustrated to relive the corruption that happened under the Bush administration. I was too young to understand what was happening at the time, so I don't know exactly the impact it had, but that was the theory my dad had. Americans are open to criticism, especially with something like Scottsboro Boys that deals with a very dark part of history. Rather than not accepting the criticism, we are taught to acknowledge those things to ensure that they won't happen again. With Enron, most American audiences distinctly remember what happened and how corrupt it was, so I'm thinking there wasn't as much impact as the British audiences who, I'm guessing, didn't know as much about what happened. I think most Americans (especially the ones who regularly attend the theatre) accept that the country hasn't had the cleanest past. I guess that maybe American audiences just felt like with Enron that they'd seen the scheme unfold already in real time, and once was enough. Of course, I haven't seen the play myself, so I guess I'm not the best judge.
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#7
Posted: 11/25/10 at 6:54am
AwesomeDanny, I pretty much agree with you and would add that the play itself was a light-weight concoction made palatable by a flashy production. The London critics gave it the benefit of the doubt while the New York critics - the Times especially - did not.

Phantom, you and I can agree on one thing. I too thought The Story of My Life was maudlin drek.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#8
Posted: 11/25/10 at 12:56pm
AwesomeDanny - good point.

mallardo - I guess the all powfulful New York Times, that used to close a production very quickly with a bad review, does not have the same weight it used to for musicals, but still holds that power over plays?

The Story of My Life - LMAO
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#9
Posted: 11/25/10 at 11:36pm
You know what made me mad reading ur list of reviews in this cold winter night??? Not that you've seen the shows I wanna watch, not that you went to Broadway (twice), not that you saw Broadway legends but the fact that you went to the Maldives!! LOL
Still... super jealous!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#10
Posted: 11/30/10 at 10:04am
The only reason I can see that Enron flopped on Broadway, is because of the harsh home truths it told about a American corporation.

American television and cinema do exactly that constantly. I think Enron was probably more of a novelty to the British than it was to Americans. When it comes to that particular story, which had already been revealed in depth in a bracing documentary (and countless television news features and books), perhaps Americans were hoping for something that might shed new light on the subject rather than gloss over the basics of which we're already well familiar.

But it's not a big deal. Both plays and musicals often don't get the same reactions when crossing the pond in either direction for whatever reason. The audiences are very different. Look how long A Chorus Line and Rent ran on Broadway compared to the West End. Or Buddy and Canterbury Tales in the West End compared to Broadway. Sometimes it's a matter of taste, sometimes it's a matter of timing. In the case of Enron, I don't think it had anything at all to do with self-criticism. You can see that every day on TV.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#11
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:28pm
As said about Scottsboro Boys being to anti-American,

America does not like self criticise, thats why this show has gone just like Enron.
Updated On: 11/30/10 at 01:28 PM
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#12
Posted: 11/30/10 at 3:09pm
I don't understand how you think Scottsboro Boys is anti-American.
Updated On: 11/30/10 at 03:09 PM
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#13
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:29pm
I agree, theatreguy - Scottsboro Boys is not ant-American. It highlights a very tragic, even heinous event in US history but it also weaves the horror of the story into the positive and uplifting story of Rosa Parks and the rise of the Civil Rights movement. And it actually celebrates the dignity and courage of the African-American heritage. So even when it does step back and criticize it does so in a very positive way. It's pretty much a genius piece of musical theatre.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR*****
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#14
Posted: 11/30/10 at 6:37pm
Well it is Kander & Ebb! :P
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago / New York Round Up#15
Posted: 11/30/10 at 6:45pm
Precisely. The greatest composer/lyricist partnership in the history of musical theatre IMO.