Page: 1

Where do you generally sit when attending broadway shows?

RKO Legend
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Hey I'm new to the boards here but I did a search for this topic already and didn't see anything other than seating for specific shows. I was just curious to see where everyone generally sits at shows. I try to go to as many shows as possible so I usually end up sitting all over the place, depending on the lottos and what not.

So where does everyone normally sit?
taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile PhototaylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yup, all over the place.
Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm picky about where I sit, and I usually sit as close as possible. No matter how good a show is, I feel disconnected to it when I'm not close.
Steve2 Profile PhotoSteve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I almost always sit in the first 10 rows, center orchestra.
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In a seat.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I find an attractive, wealthy man and try to sit in his lap. I keep getting thrown out of shows, though.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Kevn520 Profile PhotoKevn520 Profile Photo
Kevn520
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
^ I love this answer.

For plays, I generally try to sit as close as possible so I can catch the dialogue. I hate using the listening devices for plays because they usually use floor mikes and pic up the noise of the front row as well.

For musicals, either the front half of the orchestra or front mezzanine.
HeyMrMusic Profile PhotoHeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Being a poor theatre lover, I can't be too picky, and it's a good thing that I'm not picky. I take what I can get and consider it gravy if I somehow get to move closer to the stage during the show.

~Steven
B3TA07 Profile PhotoB3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm just gonna be real and admit that I sit wherever I can afford to. Where do you generally sit when attending broadway shows?
-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Depends on a lot of things:

My budget at time of purchase
Whether discounts are available
What's available

But, in a perfect world I would PREFER:

Front orchestra, center, 1st 10 rows
Front mezzanine, center, 1st three rows
Front orchestra, sides -- but NOT far right or left
Mid/rear orch, center
Mid Mezz

I truly despise seats on the far ends of the orcestra.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Gypsy9 Profile PhotoGypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It varies. In the early 1960's when I was a college student, a friend and I always sat In the balcony, for $3.50 (!) Back then there was no such thing as student tickets or the lottery. Nowadays, I almost always use Broadway Box.com to get discounted seats, sitting either in the mezzanine or In the orchestra. I don't mind sitting on the side, but I try not to sit under the balcony overhang.

The worst seat I ever had was first row orchestra, extreme left side for THE PRODUCERS. It spoiled the whole experience for me.

I saw FENCES last Thursday (Denzel Washington was simply superb). My discounted seats were in the 2nd balcony on the side. That balcony of the Cort Theatre is very steeply banked-- the view was absolutely fine and I had no trouble hearing anyone. I could swear that there was no amplification; what a treat!

I saw IN THE HEIGHTS last Sunday and, not wanting to bother with TKTS, actually bought a ticket at the box office for the first time in many years. I got 8th row center orchestra, the best seat I think I've ever had in 59 years of theatergoing.
"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 5/13/10 at 08:05 AM
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If I can get in the front row of the mezz, that's my favorite seat. However, I enjoy the comfort of the space in box seats, so I usually inquire about the view, and if the feedback is positive, I'll get tickets there. For the most part, I've had little trouble with the view from the boxes.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Since I rarely get to NYC, when ever I do i go and re-see my fav. 3 shows becore seeing anything new, so for them, since I've seen them so many times, I am going more to "hear" them with a new cast, so I just get the cheapest seats up in the back.

But If i start to like a show from the CD and it is my first time seeing it, then i try to spend more and splurge on a first few rows seat.

If I am there and have time and $$ to spend and am just going to see something new for curiosity, then I take whatever i get from TKTS, I like the suprize in not knowing where your seat will end up being.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
once a month Profile Photoonce a month Profile Photo
once a month
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I always get my tickets close enough to see the whites of their eyes, yet far enough away to avoid all the saliva. Always.
bertandrew2 Profile Photobertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If I cant sit center orchestra in the first 8 rows, I don't go.
newintown Profile Photonewintown Profile Photo
newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I generally sit in the star dressing room, and listen through the sound system. I have to imagine what it looks like, but I can keep drinking throughout the show and try on all the costumes.
DefyGravity777
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I usually sit on my butt in a seat.

To answer the question I usually sit in the cheapest seats there are which is most of the last row mezz/balcony. Unless it's Hair then I like sitting in the front row.
Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!
defygravity24 Profile Photodefygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
If I'm buying tickets in advance and I can get a really good seat in the first 10 rows of the orchestra I'll go for the extra money, but if there are no really good seats left I jst buy the bad seats because ther's no point on spending 100+ dollars to get a seat in the last row of the orchestra while the people in the front are paying the same as you are.