Revival cast of Hair to open production in London

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was announced that the current revival of Hair is slated for an April opening in London featuring the entire Broadway revival cast and it is even being advertised as such on the splash page for the London production's website.

There is an interesting discussion going on about this whole thing. About what would constitute the justification for bringing an entire cast of a show over to London VS just one or two performers. And, which original casts are vital for the success of a play and which ones aren't.

There are a good few people on the London forum who feel that while it is kinda cool to bring the entire revival cast over, it isn't necessary considering that there are not only a shortage of acting jobs in London. But, the Broadway revival cast, although great, isn't reinventing the wheel and doing that which a cast in London can't do.

What do you all think?
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MusicSnob1 Profile PhotoMusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think you should provide a link.

And move to London.
When I think about you, I touch myself.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Forgot to post link. Here you go.
Hair in London website
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is already being discussed (sort of) on the HAIR thread.

We don't have a lot of details -- but I can't imagine that the ENTIRE cast would be willing. But more importantly, I want to know what the heck they plan to do about the run on B'way??
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
MusicSnob1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
THANKS
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They are advertising it as the ENTIRE Broadway cast. Their exact words.

http://www.hairthemusical.co.uk/
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
dramamama611, Keep in mind that the preview period is unusually short for a show. It is having a short preview period, on that says to me, that it is enough time for a cast that is already familiar with the work.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't believe equity would allow the entire cast to go to London without some exchange. Is Broadway getting the entire London cast of... something?
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not sure what that means as an answer to my comments.^
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CatsNYrevival, from what I understand it used to be that there would be an eye for an eye with regards to an equity exchange. However, I believe that immigration/work visa laws have prevented such things from happening that both parties have had to change how things are done as a result.
MusicSnob1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
^^^ I honestly think that you're talking out of your @ss right now.
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, being that some cast members have already moved onto other projects I don't see how it is possible for the entire original cast to transfer.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
AndAllThatJazz22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This seems highly questionable, especially considering that several cast members have families. There's gotta be more to the story that we don't know yet.
"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It doesn't mean the whole cast would be there at the SAME time. Perhaps they would take something like 2 week shifts?

I doubt the cast members with little kids would uproot them so they could do the show in London.
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
PiraguaGuy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I predict a scandal.

Here's how it's going to go down:
It's eventually going to trickle out that some cast members did not agree to this and probably won't.
People who already bought tickets are going to bitch that they paid to see the ORIGINAL CAST.
Eventually, we're going to get about half the cast out in London.

Bookmark this so that you can refer back to it when this ALL COMES TRUE.
Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wouldn't be shocked if it just ends up being some of the leads for the first few months or so.
AndAllThatJazz22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Remember, tickets don't go on sale for another 6 days, and if there is a twist (which we all agree there is)... I'm sure they will announce it before people start buying tickets to avoid having a 'scandal'.

ETA: Another thing that makes this seem so fishy is that the physical demands of this show are waring the cast out. So many people have left due to injuries and I have no idea how these kids can handle the physicality of this show any longer (especially considering that most of them already did it in central park).
"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 11/14/09 at 09:56 PM
ActingIsLovee
Stand-by
Stand-by
which of the cast members have families with kids? just will, sasha, and bryce?
Updated On: 11/14/09 at 10:33 PM
TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Lawrence has 3 kids.
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
CurtainPullDowner Profile PhotoCurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actors with children do shows on the road and travel all the time. And if you make a movie or do a TV series it means seperation, it's the Biz.
Some take them with them, some leave them with spouses, or relatives.
The idea of opening the revival in the West End for six months is a no-brainer.
Living in London for the run and bringing kids over for visits can be a great learning tool.
We,in the Theatre live different lives.

If this is true I wouldn't be suprised, the cast of HAMLET did it as have several others.
I think the difficult thing is recasting in New York, but it certainly can be done.
givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CPD, I had forgotten that the entire cast of Hamlet transferred.

I doubt the cast members with little kids would uproot them so they could do the show in London.
My go-to example: Patti LuPone moved her husband and son to London at least twice for shows. Or you leave your family behind. Like CPD said, it's part of the business.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But it's not what ALL performers are willing to do. They cannot FORCE them all to go. I really find it hard to believe that unless it's for an EXTREMELY limited run that ALL of the current or original cast would agree.

And did the article ever say ORIGINAL cast or just B'way cast? Meghan Lawrence LEFT the show BECAUSE of her kids....seems unlikely that she would then LEAVE them to go across the pond.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't believe equity would allow the entire cast to go to London without some exchange. Is Broadway getting the entire London cast of... something?

Oh, erm... dammit, what's that old play about the Danish fella called? Hammy? Hamberg? Oh, I don't know!
CurtainPullDowner Profile PhotoCurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I see why you are called DRAMA MAMA, of course they can FORCE them to go, ever heard of white slavery? And if Meghan Lawrence wants to stop getting a weekly paycheck and not create a role in a West End production to be with her three brats, so be it.
(of course, I am being facetious)
It says New York cast, not original cast.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lawrence ALREADY gave up her paycheck.

And yes, now that bbw posted the story, it does indeed say "broadway cast". But that doesnt' mean the current cast...could just mean NY/equity actors. Perhaps, Diane Paulus schedule would allow her rehearse HERE but now across the pond.

My thought had been that perhaps they just aren't hiring Brit actors. I would think the current cast might have first crack at the move, but they wouldn't want to destroy what's playing on b'way by replacing the cast all at once.

Time will tell.

(And I caught the facetiousness.)