Page: 1

getting stuff backstage question

Broadwaywest Profile PhotoBroadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
Stand-by
Stand-by
getting stuff backstage question#1
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:29pm
Okay I know there is a massive thread on this somewhere. However, I am heading to NY to see Jude Law in Hamlet and I have done an art piece of him in the role. I just have a question of what do you think is the best way to get this to him if I can. I was thinking mailing it. Cuz, I here the stage door is mobbed. Any suggestions, it's not a big piece. It's digitally painted. I have actually done some pieces for other b'way actors, mind you they are not as well known as Jude, so I was able just to give to them.
#1Elphie Profile Photo#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#2
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:36pm
You can probably drop it off at the stage door during the day sometime (maybe go before the show); there is usually a stage door attendant at the theater to deal with deliveries and stuff.
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#2
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:38pm
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but because many celebrities get gifts from people, most end up in the trash; however, I know some have saved stuff. But this is Jude Law, and I don't know what he saves from fans.

How big is this piece? Maybe you can just mail it. If not, you can always hand it to a stage door person prior to the performance.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#3
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:43pm
Go at a non peak time to the stage door and drop it off. It will get to him.
Broadwaywest
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: getting stuff backstage question#4
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:45pm
well it's a risk I'm willing to take. It'll only be an 8.5 by 11. Like I said, I've never done a piece for a celebrity before, except baz luhrmann, but I was actually able to hand that to him myself.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#5
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:52pm
Make sure it's labeled. If you want to leave a note, prepare that beforehand (don't expect to be provided pen and paper). Just hand it to the backstage doorman (or woman) and say thank you. It's part of their job responsibilities.
saveusmike Profile Photosaveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: getting stuff backstage question#6
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:52pm
Take a chance and drop it off at the Stage Door.

Today at the flea market though, one of Stephanie J. Blocks "opening night show gift" from a fan was being sold.

I found that kind of tacky.
"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q
TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#7
Posted: 9/27/09 at 9:58pm
Ohh that's bad. Imagine if the fan saw it.

Talk about tacky, Kerry Ellis sold her Theatre World Awards on eBay.
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
Updated On: 9/27/09 at 09:58 PM
Broadwaywest
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: getting stuff backstage question#8
Posted: 9/27/09 at 10:01pm
that is tacky, luckily this is a digital piece so I will have the original
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#9
Posted: 9/27/09 at 10:11pm
Saveusmike: What was the fan gift? An overly glittered poster with a million pictures of Stephanie J. Block?
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
GimmeABreak2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: getting stuff backstage question#10
Posted: 9/27/09 at 10:14pm
I think if you politely ask the attendant, it could be delivered at the door since it's not big or anything, seems reasonable to me!

On a similar note--is the Hamlet door really that bad crowd-wise? I ask because I would really like to see Kevin McNally and I know sometimes when there's a 'big star' some of the others can rush off :/
Updated On: 9/27/09 at 10:14 PM
TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#11
Posted: 9/27/09 at 10:15pm
Millie, if that is what it is then I don't blame her for selling it.

Why do fans feel that actors want 2000 pictures of themselves put in a funny frame?
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
saveusmike Profile Photosaveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: getting stuff backstage question#12
Posted: 9/27/09 at 10:18pm
The gift was a "9 to 5" Picture Frame. The first time I saw it was on FB in some 9 to 5 fan girls album.

Then today when I saw it I just looked at it and on the back it said something like
Have a great first show you rock! or something like that.

I mean of course stars dont keep everything people give them, but imagine if that girl would have went to the flea market and saw the picture frame she made for steph on sale?

I would be so upset.
"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q
emilyfaye48 Profile Photoemilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: getting stuff backstage question#13
Posted: 9/27/09 at 10:43pm
re: getting stuff backstage question

oooo I was totally there when at girl gave the frame to Stephanie! it was totally awkward because she put her email on the back and made sure everyone knew it was there. She made one for Allison and one for Megan. I actually found it kind of hilarious that it was there.

aright bear with me if this gets messed up... I've never tried to post a picture before

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead
Updated On: 9/27/09 at 10:43 PM
Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#14
Posted: 9/28/09 at 1:18pm
Ohh that's bad. Imagine if the fan saw it.

My first flea market I saw someone come across a gift they had given a Wicked cast member up for sale at the Wicked table. She seemed to be an ok sport about it, what with the 'the money goes to charity' aspect of it and all.
Cape Twirl of Doom Profile PhotoCape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#15
Posted: 9/28/09 at 2:01pm
She seemed to be an ok sport about it, what with the 'the money goes to charity' aspect of it and all.

I'm glad that girl wasn't upset. I mean come on. It's not like the stars want to keep every piece of random fan artwork they get from people and have their walls covered in the stuff. She should be happy that this way hopefully some money for charity could come out of it. (If it sells, that is. I saw a lot of badly done fan artwork for sale, that I really don't know who would want.) I actually did something similar. I drew a portrait of an actor, had him sign it for me, and then sold it at my table. It actually went for $20!
"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
ojeight Profile Photoojeight Profile Photo
ojeight
Swing
Swing
re: getting stuff backstage question#16
Posted: 9/28/09 at 2:20pm
I saw the Stephanie J. Block frame at the flea market. It was signed by the three leads. I would have bought it if Dolly had signed it as well. The girl who made it should be happy that Stephanie saw some value in it to donate it to charity and the frame will probably have a longer life this way. Who knows, if she is making these frames for all shows people might start collecting them at the flea markets every year.
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: getting stuff backstage question#17
Posted: 9/28/09 at 3:19pm
"I saw the Stephanie J. Block frame at the flea market. It was signed by the three leads. I would have bought it if Dolly had signed it as well. The girl who made it should be happy that Stephanie saw some value in it to donate it to charity and the frame will probably have a longer life this way. Who knows, if she is making these frames for all shows people might start collecting them at the flea markets every year."

A lot of the crap given to cast members ends up at the flea market. This is nothing new. I don't understand why people feel the need to give total strangers gifts.