Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

For the Horror Fans: My Rundown of HALLOWEEN 2

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/05
Let me start off by saying that even though I?m a horror movie fanatic it?s been maybe 15 years since I?ve seen the original HALLOWEEN 2. I remembered not liking it very much and even though I still consider the first in the series the best horror film ever made, nothing ever really drew me back to part two. So besides a few fuzzy memories of it, I went into the film last night being able to take a real unbiased look at a ?remake?. I?ll run it down and go through the film for anyone interested (All of it being ?spoilers? so if you don?t want to know what happens in the movie stop reading HERE). Remember that I?m sure some of this will change by the time it hits theaters later this summer, especially after the focus group met and gave opinions after the film. I?ll mention what we/they thought during the review, as well for those interested.

The movie opens with Laurie, bloody, walking down the street. Sheriff Brackett finds her and takes her to the hospital (I remember the hospital scene taking place towards the end of the original, correct me if I?m wrong but in any case it?s the beginning here.) The next 15 minutes, besides being WAY too loud, to the actual point where I had a bit of a headache afterwards are really fantastic and I had hoped would set the film up very nicely.

Zombie chooses to show us most of the ?gore? in this one scene and for the rest of the film shows a lot of restraint in what he shows, letting our minds do most of the work which I really appreciated. Nowadays a lot of directors think blood & guts = scares which just isn?t true.

We spend the next 20 minutes or so getting to know this new grunge Laurie (who now lives with her friend Annie and the Sheriff) and her friends who work at a book/record/indie type store and we learn they looove to party. The characters are really your standard issue, cookie cutter horror movie characters and you can pretty much pinpoint who will die and in what order. After this we see Loomis who has become a real media whore and a just an all around ****after the release of his book about Michael, which is doing a media tour for and just happens to be somewhere near Haddonfield, IL where they film a major late night talk show. Lucky him. He?s no longer a sympathetic character he is now just a famous diva who only cares about himself and his new career and let me say the focus group and the end was more than vocal about how much they hated this.

Interspersed through all of this are visions Michael has with his mother (the gorgeous Sherri Moon Zombie), a white horse and the younger version of himself guiding him to kill more so they can all finally be together. This might work in a different film but the problem here is that Laurie is having visions of them, too. The same visions. This is never explained or touched upon and even when she learns she?s Michael?s sister, if this was supposed to mean they were all connected in some way, it still doesn?t make any sense. As much as I love her, Michael?s mother has no business being in this movie at all. About 90% of the people in the focus group said they didn?t like her scenes at all which weren?t many to begin with and I?m sure will now be sliced down pretty heavily.

As you guess right after we meet the characters, Michael starts killing again. Obviously he needs to get ?through? people to get where he?s going, but too many scenes were set up just to kill someone with no further advancement of a plot you could tell they desperately were trying to do something with - including scenes in a strip club stomping a mans face until it?s just meat, taking a naked stripper by the hair and smashing her into a mirror until she goes bye-bye, not to mention Michael killing a dog, gutting it and eating it?s insides. Let me just say that when I got the chance last night I let them know just how unnecessary that was and every single person there said that needed to be cut out immediately. I?m hoping it is because it?s something that I really should have walked on the film because of.

Soon after, Laurie discovers she?s Michael?s sister and all hell breaks loose. She does a LOT of screaming in this movie, almost to the laughable point which she does most of in the next few scenes. She tells her friends she needs to go out and PAR-TAY which we all know means ?Dead Friends? so when Harley (the slut of the group) goes to a random man?s van, you don?t have to be a genius to know what will happen. That scene is so predictable and so stupid pretty much everyone agreed afterwards it was just too much. When you can count down to when the attack will happen you know your movie has become too formulaic.

After this, Michael decides to visit the house of our dear friend Annie who until this point has had a decent amount of screen time cooped up in her house. When she opens that medicine cabinet you don?t have to be a rocket scientist to know what she?ll see when she closes it! Cut to a few minutes later, Laurie and her only living friend now, Maya (the beautiful Brea Grant who plays Daphne on HEROES) both completely drunk go back to Annie?s house to crash but there?s a big mess there so being as bright as they are they know something is wrong. Maya is the first to get hers, when she goes downstairs alone to call 911. Luckily Laurie escapes the house and runs into the woods (because when you?re being chased by a killer you obviously run into the woods) where dagnabit, she gets caught by Michael and taken to an old shack. Now, she must have been in there for quite a while because we cut to Loomis in a swanky hotel (obviously in town) after he just finished his talk show appearance opposite Weird Al, where he sees the breaking news that Michael Myers (not the same Michael Myers from the Austin Powers films as Weird Al points out) is at it again. Loomis rushes to the site where poor Laurie is screaming again being held by her brother while we see Mommy and Little Michael watching her. Loomis informs her that nobody is holding her which we now see is true. Michael is on the other side of the barn and she?s just imagining she?s being held. The word ?HUH??? came to mind last night. Michael slices up ol? Loomis but I couldn?t pay much attention to that because I was still trying to figure out how and WHY Michael and Laurie had been having the same visions of young Michael and the Mother the entire movie.

Anywho, long story short Laurie stabs Michael, and walks out of the barn wearing her Halloween costume (she was dressed as Magenta from ROCKY HORROR) and Michael?s mask which elicited a LOT of laughter, seeing this little girl with this enormous mask on. We than cut to Laurie in a white room. Is she in a mental institution? I didn?t think so, but others did. We see her look up and see Mrs. Myers walking towards her with the same white horse we?ve seen her with the whole movie. Laurie gives an evil little smile and the film ends.

So?a good part of the discussion after was spent on that last scene. To me and a lot of other people it made no sense and was just, well, stupid. The fact that you think Laurie has turned bad for no reason at all didn?t sit well with people because A) It?s not who the character is and B) there is no reason for it. She?s had nothing happen to her to turn HER into a killer now.

A lot was also said afterward about the fact that we see a lot of Michaels face in this film. He has a very long beard and looks a lot like Zombie, himself which I wasn?t sure if that was on purpose or not. But to me and most others there this isn?t a good thing. Humanizing Michael doesn?t make him more scary, it makes him completely unbelievable. If we see him as just a regular guy, how are we to ?believe? he can survive having his body bashed with baseball bats, bullets, etc and just get right back up again and keep killing. In the films current state, he is more like Jason, not Michael.

I?m sorry if this was a bit all over the place. I?m at work and doing a million things at the same time as trying to do this, but that?s pretty much the gist of the film as it is now. I?ll say again for as much as I detested the first one, this one was much much better. I?ll even go to see it again to see what changes they?ve hopefully made to it.

Updated On: 7/22/09 at 12:48 PM
doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/5/04
So none of it takes place in the hospital? That was where the whole original took place.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 6/24/04
Doodle- this one isn't a remake. It's another chapter in Zombie's world of Michael Myers. Personally, I am glad they took it out of the hospital, because really.....I work at one and there are WAY too many people around (even at night) for someone to just walk around and kill people without alarming someone.

As for the actual movie, you have made me want to see it now. As for the ending....are they trying to pull and Jamie Lloyd (HALLOWEEN 4) ending with this? With Jamie, it wasn't bad because it was a kid who got screwed up by what happened to her parents and had to experience something so tragic that she snapped for an instant. With Laurie, that should NEVER happen. It doesn't make any sense. And the whole "visions" thing....STUPID. I can see it being cool with Michael and Momma Myers but to have Laurie see them too? Makes NO SENSE. Still, I am more looking forward to seeing it than I was.
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/5/04
For some reason I thought it was a remake...and expected the leading lady to wear a freakishly awful wig.

The plot you both describe sounds stupid. I hate when these films dont make sense. I dont mind reality being suspended a bit, but it sounds like more like no reality than a suspended one.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
The beginning of the film after the first scene is in the hospital. That scene is about 15 minutes long and is very good. Predictable like the rest of the film, but still good.
spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Is there actual suspense in this one, because that is what the first one SERIOUSLY lacked.
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Spider, if you've never seen a horror film before than this one is chock-full of it. Anyone who's been to one before will be able to do what I did. "5-4-3-2-ATTACK!"

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
ugh. And also, Zombie and McDowell ruined Dr. Loomis anyway in the first film, so that doesn't surprise me at all that they f'ed up his character even more in this one. He is SUPPOSED to be the "ying" to Myers' "yang." Sad!
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Exactly, Spider. What's a shame is that while they can change things in it to make it an overall better film, that's a MAJOR problem that everyone in the crowd hated and there's no amount of re-editing you can do to improve on that. His character is just what it is at this point.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Okay, the BIGGEST question of all.....do they use the "Halloween theme" wisely in this movie? That was another thing I didn't like about the first one. It only appeared, like, twice
NipplesOfSteel
Swing
Swing | Joined: 7/22/09
Fangoria's magazine said that there's a third mask that Michael wears that looks ENTIERLY different from the Shatner mask. Could you tell me what it looks like?

Also, does it show what happened at the end of Rob's Halloween? Like does it show where the bullet actually hit?
TheatreDork2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor | Joined: 7/21/09
Nipples, I JUST read Brad Fullers post to you on Twitter. This seems like an odd place come to for info.
NipplesOfSteel
Swing
It's the only place I saw a review, sorry.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Spider, I'm glad you mentioned that because I completely forgot.

The Halloween theme was nowhere to be found. Not even a hint of it and people were none too pleased.

Nipples (LOVE the name, by the way!), the mask is different because towards the end it's half torn off so in some shots he looks like the Phantom of the Opera. The film picks up with a bloody Laurie walking down the street and with Michael laying "dead" in the yard, where he's carried off in an ambulance. That's how it begins.
TheatreDork2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor | Joined: 7/21/09
No it's fine. I'm just shocked that people stumble onto BWW.
NipplesOfSteel
Swing
nah,Fangoria Magazine interviewed Rob, and he said that there was a third mask. He said it NO ONE has seen it (from photos, trailers, etc) and that it wasn't that half-mask, and he said every time they were shooting the movie, they put the new mask in a bag so no one would see it.

EDIT: haha, thanks! I love the name, too :-P
Updated On: 7/22/09 at 02:26 PM
spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
WHAT THE HELL?!?!? Halloween with no Carpenter theme is like Freddy with no glove. Now, I'm mad.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
I don't really know what you mean by a third mask... The mask took wear and tear throughout the movie until it was really torn but it was the same thing.

And yeah, I was waiting and waiting for that music. I'm sure it will show up in the final cut, though.
jc33
Swing
Hi, I must admit I am also here because I found this review floating on the net. Very good review I might add! Thank you.

May I ask a few questions?

1. Was there a scene with a blond woman and two men who look like hunters in a truck? If so are the important?

2. Were Laurie's newest friends/fodder relatively big characters? At least more than 2 scenes each?

3. Is the Phantom Jam (Halloween Party) a long part of the film? I am hoping it is. Can you tell what characters attend?

Thanks a lot for your time!
Updated On: 7/22/09 at 02:41 PM
NipplesOfSteel
Swing
ok, read this article, and you'll know what I'm talking about (the third mask).

re: For the Horror Fans: My Rundown of HALLOWEEN 2

Also, I have a few more questions:
- What does Uncle Seymour Coffins do in the film?
- Could you explain (in detail) the scene with snow where a skeleton is on a cross w/ Michael's mask where the head should be?
- Could you explain how Michael's mask is half-torn off? Does Michael end up ripping part of it off?
- What's up with the scene with Brackett and the sniper rifle?
- How does Annie die? Do we end up seeing her corpse? And what does Brackett do when he finds out she's dead?
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
JC, I've gotten a lot of PM's from people who say they joined because they found this review, also!

To answer your questions -

1. Was there a scene with a blond woman and two men who look like hunters in a truck? If so are the important?

Yes, that scene is there and no they're not important. That's one of the scenes I mentioned that was put there just to add to the body count. Doesn't push the story along in any way whatsoever.

2. Were Laurie's newest friends/fodder relatively big characters? At least more than 2 scenes each?

They were in about 4 scenes, maybe. They weren't huge characters but not minor either. They were the friends that are in every horror movie that you know won't make it to the final scene. Nothing more.

3. Is the Phantom Jam (Halloween Party) a long part of the film? I am hoping it is. Can you tell what characters attend?

All the girls (minus Annie who is stuck at home alone waiting to be butchered) attend the party. The scene cuts between the party and Annie at home along with her father at the Police station so maybe all in all it's about 10 minutes in length. It's also one of the more ridiculous scenes because there's no reason for Michael to show up there. How did he know the girls were there? Why didn't he just take them all out if he was already there and sees them?
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 7/22/09 at 03:00 PM
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
- What does Uncle Seymour Coffins do in the film?
I'm not sure who this is exactly...

- Could you explain (in detail) the scene with snow where a skeleton is on a cross w/ Michael's mask where the head should be?
This is a hallucination of Laurie's. Another one where she sees young Michael, the Mother and regular Michael. It doesn't make any sense at all in the film, none of her "freakouts" do.

- Could you explain how Michael's mask is half-torn off? Does Michael end up ripping part of it off?
No, it appears to be a very thin mask and one of the girls (I can't remember which one) rips part of it during a fight towards the end of the film.

- What's up with the scene with Brackett and the sniper rifle?
I think you're referring to the standoff at the very end when Michael and Laurie are in the cabin in the woods and all the police are there.

- How does Annie die? Do we end up seeing her corpse? And what does Brackett do when he finds out she's dead?
Annie gets sliced up by Michael. We don't see it happen (again leaving it to the imagination) but we do see her laying in the now red-tiled bathroom when Laurie finds her and tries to comfort her. When Brackett finds she's dead he's very emotional. I'm glad you brought this up because it elicited a lot of laughter from the audience which upset me. It was a real gut reaction that a father might have if he saw this and people thought it was just overacting and funny. I found it quite sad because it cut from him holding her to home videos of that actress as a child which made it much more humanizing to the character and the situation.
jc33
Swing
Thanks very much Jordan.

Sorry to do this to you I forgot 2 things.

Is the character Uncle Meat who works at the coffee house still in the movie?

In the trailer there is a scene where Laurie says to (I think Annie?) "I'm not me!" and Annie says "Who are you then?" then Laurie explains she is Michael's sister and shows a picture in a book. Is that in the cut you saw? I hope so.
NipplesOfSteel
Swing
This is Uncle Seymour Coffins:

re: For the Horror Fans: My Rundown of HALLOWEEN 2

and thanks for answering my questions.

Page: 1