Page: 5

Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY

ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Bringing in a star vacation (temp) cover is a brilliant idea, similar to what they would do years ago. Liza in Chicago, Lansbury in The King and I, etc. 

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ACL2006 said: "regardless of who it is, they're not doing the matinees. Their one performance a week will be on Tuesday evenings & then filling in for any of Midler's scheduled vacations.

"

Is it this simple? There seems to be changes in schedule. For example, Tuesday nights are being sold in March and April but not Sundays. I hope to God the alternative starts from week 1 and not after opening. 

"Its the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
QueenAlice Profile PhotoQueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Lots of productions have different performance schedules during previews because the shows are still also rehearsing. There is a little part of me that wonders--- if they decide to have an alternate (and I'm still not sure they won't just decide 7 shows a week at huge ticket demand is better) --if they will indeed wait until after opening to put the alternate on to keep the early press centered on Ms Midler.

if Midler is indeed scheduled to take three weeks off, I definitely think they will bring in a name to fill in at that time. In many ways, that is a much more attractive proposition for another star actress than being a weekly alternate, because they could change the marquee and the advertising to be geared specifically towards the vacation replacement.

I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.
ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

yes, Midler's scheduled to not perform for 3 weeks: June 27 - July 9 & Sept. 5 - 10. I think this is the main reason for the alternate.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

also, their website has no info on it. very disappointing.

http://www.hellodollyonbroadway.com/

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, I could imagine an argument for not wanting to the alternate to start until after opening to keep the press on Bette (if the alternate is well known). At the same time, if it's someone like Bernadette and they have her start after opening it's also not a good look if someone were to re-review the show completely centred around Bernadette (whereas, if she started before opening the worst that would probably happen is someone might say in a review that they prefer Bette's alternate. And at least in the off-chance there was a negative review for Bette but positive for the alternate, at least it still encourages a ticket purchase. A negative review on Bette only might persuade someone not to buy a ticket at all). Plus, there is a real financial advantage of course to starting the alternate earlier because of greater ticket sales. Of course, they probably aren't too worried about finances but a dollar is a dollar.

Still, I will investigate changing my flight just in case. The same thing happened for me when FOLLIES transferred to Broadway. 

"Its the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
CindersGolightly Profile PhotoCindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oh qolbinau, I adore your passion for Bernadette so very much. It makes me so happy to see you talk about her. For your sake alone, I hope she's the alternate. What a thrilling Dolly she'd be.

"Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."
ageorges3 Profile Photoageorges3 Profile Photo
ageorges3
Understudy
Understudy

Does anyone know if she's ever done any Dolly songs during her concert appearances?  Was wondering if she managed to play it at some point in a theater outside of NY, but it looks like I assumed incorrectly.  Was wondering if she'd taken on the role in one of those theaters like the Floridian one Gaveston's written so many enjoyable posts about over the years, back during the time when star performers would go on the road and did more work out of the New York area.  But after some research it doesn't look like she has.  Much has been said about her singing style, but she's definitely a unique talent and I'd love to hear her take on some of that music. 

Updated On: 9/21/16 at 10:21 PM
QueenAlice Profile PhotoQueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I highly doubt Bette's reviews will be anything less than stellar. No, Peters has never played the role. I don't know if she has ever sung anything from the score- I haven't heard it if she has.

The more I think about it, the more I have a feeling they will just do a 7 show week, and bring in a big name for when Midler goes on vacation.

As I ponder the situation, it seems unlikely to
me that Midler -in this her first Broadway musical return- would like sharing the role on a weekly basis with another big name, and I don't think the Lillias White and Faith Princes of the world, who might be willing to be a once a week alternate are enough of a draw to keep the show selling well for three weeks while Midler is on vacation. 

They have to strategize this well for sure...

I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.
Updated On: 9/21/16 at 10:46 PM
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CindersGolightly said: "Oh qolbinau, I adore your passion for Bernadette so very much. It makes me so happy to see you talk about her. For your sake alone, I hope she's the alternate. What a thrilling Dolly she'd be.

"

Thank you. I know it might come across as a bit pathological sometimes, but I'm just a fan of her actual work. I don't, for example, even follow her twitter and I've never met her. I've only stage doored her once (FOLLIES first preview), and even then did not actually attempt to get anything signed or speak with her etc. I simply enjoy the performances.

"Does anyone know if she's ever done any Dolly songs during her concert appearances? "

If she has, it's not in her regular repertoire. One of my criticisms of her is she has pretty much been singing the same songs for decades, and she only seems to add new songs to her repertoire if she has performed the show (e.g., she added In Buddy's Eyes, Losing My Mind and Send in the Clowns). I don't quite get why she doesn't perform a completely new show sometimes with things she has never sung before. Perhaps it's a lot of work.

ageorges3 Profile Photoageorges3 Profile Photo
ageorges3
Understudy
Understudy

Thanks for the feedback, qolbinau!  Will definitely check out some of the other songs she's done during concert performances on youtube soon,  you've got me interested!  

Buscee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

I checked the website they are no shows scheduled for that period. They may be doing what they did for Hugh Jackman in Boy From Oz.  Just close for the weeks that she is vacationing.

Cupid Boy2 Profile PhotoCupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Buscee said: "I checked the website they are no shows scheduled for that period. They may be doing what they did for Hugh Jackman in Boy From Oz.  Just close for the weeks that she is vacationing."

Or the alternate may be filling in if she's a name that could carry the production for a few weeks - we don't know yet. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

They did this for Hugh Jackman during his never-missed-a-performance run in THE BOY FROM OZ.  Every couple of months the entire production shut down for 2 weeks.  Entire cast and crew still were paid for these non-performances.   This kept Hugh Jackman in top form for his entire 1 year run.  

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dreams do come true.

EdEval
Stand-by
Stand-by

No, no no it's Sutton Foster's turn to do Mame!