Page: 3

People Who Saw Shows That Now Live In Infamy, What Was Your Experience At Said Show?- Page 3

joevitus Profile Photojoevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Dollypop said: "joevitus said: "Dollypop said: "Lordy me, how did I forget BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY's with Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain? Edward Albee's book was exceptionally talky and leaden and it's true, the audience did talk back to the actors. At one point Moore's character asked the rhetorical question, "What am I to do?" and a male voice from the audience answered, "Go home so we can, too!""

So I've always been baffled--since there was no cast album and other than a book on famous flops, no history of musical theater really covers it--what was such a train wreck about the show? Your comment about the book helps, but were the songs outrageously bad or just mediocre and forgettable? Was the direction and choreography hysterically wrong, or just uninteresting? Were the leads way out of their depth, or just stuck with bad material? This show is a famous ginormous bomb, but I never hear details.
"

There is, indeed, a cast album. It's a studio recording starring Faith Prince and John Scjneider.

"

I had meant the original cast, but I didn't know about this either. Is it worth listening to?

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mr Roxy said: "Shows with long preview periods were Golden Rainbow 43 and Legs Diamond 72"

Golden Rinbow is another guilty pleasure for me.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I knew it was bad.  That became apparent especially when I saw it a second time.  The first time, in the second act, Steve and Eydie broke character and the entire audience was laughing as much as Eydie.  The second time I saw it, it happened in exactly the same place, and the lines they said were even the same (or at least thematically the same...I do not have photographic memory).  They needed comedy in the second act, so they introduced it by cheating...after all, everyone was there to see Steve and Eydie, so everyone lapped up the supposed ad-lib.  

On a separate note, I think there is a difference between infamy and a bad flop.  I saw The Yearling, Dr. Jazz and Come Summer, three musicals that together can a total of, I believe 15 performances.  They were all awful.  I don't know that they live in infamy, rhowever; ather that they have pretty much been forgotten.  Carrie has not been forgotten, nor has Moose Murders...not sure they ever will...they have become part of Broadway legend.  Legs Diamond and Breakfast at Tiffany's probably belongs in the infamy category, whereas A Doll's Life or Onward Victoria, and etc., have pretty much been forgotten.

Some the shows identified here were really more appropriate to the stinkers subject that was also recently covered.

Scarlet Leigh Profile PhotoScarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

So......... Dance of the Vampires. *Pops open a bottle of vodka and takes a shot for strength* Let's talk about that for a hot second.

I don't even know where to start with it. Two girls getting brutally murdered in the opening number while the ensemble has a rocking ballet dance break. Crawford's entrance in a coffin shooting up from the stage floor. The creepy vibe Crawford was giving off anytime he was on the stage with Mandy Gonzalez. The entire song dedicated to garlic. The random flamboyantly gay vampire coming onto the hero waaaaay to strong and that was all he was there to do. The.... *sigh*..... penis sponge joke (Note: every time I talk about this show and I have to mention "penis sponge joke" I die a little inside). The ending flash-forward to an alternate modern day New York were vampires are the dominate race and Times Square is filled with vampire related pun jokes like "Bats: the Musical" instead of Cats. "VSPN" instead of ESPN. "Fang" instead of Tang. "Got Blood?" instead of-OH GOD WHAT WAS THIS SHOW?! 

Charley Kringas Inc Profile PhotoCharley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

joevitus said: "Dollypop said: "joevitus said: "Dollypop said: "Lordy me, how did I forget BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY's with Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain? Edward Albee's book was exceptionally talky and leaden and it's true, the audience did talk back to the actors. At one point Moore's character asked the rhetorical question, "What am I to do?" and a male voice from the audience answered, "Go home so we can, too!""

So I've always been baffled--since there was no cast album and other than a book on famous flops, no history of musical theater really covers it--what was such a train wreck about the show? Your comment about the book helps, but were the songs outrageously bad or just mediocre and forgettable? Was the direction and choreography hysterically wrong, or just uninteresting? Were the leads way out of their depth, or just stuck with bad material? This show is a famous ginormous bomb, but I never hear details.
"

There is, indeed, a cast album. It's a studio recording starring Faith Prince and John Scjneider.

"

I had meant the original cast, but I didn't know about this either. Is it worth listening to?
"

Definitely, there are a number of fairly decent songs, and I feel like you also get a sense of why the show didn’t work. It reminds me of Henry Sweet Henry - unfocused and inorganic. I can totally see why another poster in a previous thread about the show said that it was bad, but not boring - it’s sort of interesting analyzing why the choices seem wrong.

mikey2573
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Not sure it this is infamous but I did see THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER with my son, who was 9 at the time.  We both loved it. The chase through the caves in the second act was simply brilliant, and Heidi Ettinger's sets (including what has since been referred to as the "tennis racket tree"People Who Saw Shows That Now Live In Infamy, What Was Your Experience At Said Show? were breathtaking.  I still remember how some of the younger cast members would slide down the set for their entrances.  And Injun Joe falling through the stage floor got a round of applause (there is a similar effect in PHANTOM).  The songs and the book were really fun and I just remember smiling through the entire show.  I am glad I saw it. 

joevitus Profile Photojoevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Charley Kringas Inc said: "

Definitely, there are a number of fairly decent songs, and I feel like you also get a sense of why the show didn’t work. It reminds me of Henry Sweet Henry - unfocused and inorganic. I can totally see why another poster in a previous thread about the show said that it was bad, but not boring - it’s sort ofinteresting analyzing why the choices seem wrong."

Thank you!

Lot666 Profile PhotoLot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CATSNYrevival said: "Stephen Ward was obviously a subject that was particularly interesting to Andrew Lloyd Webber but had limitedcommercial appeal to West End audiences, and virtually zero commercial appeal outside the UK.It's hard to build a hit show from that. Most people, particularly in America, likely don't know who Stephen Ward was and likelyjustdon't care either. Having said that, there are some lovely tunes. "This Side of the Sky" is a favorite."

I love both "Human Sacrifice" and "Too Close to the Flame".

============> this board is a nest of vipers <============

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Lot666 Profile PhotoLot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

tmdonahue said: "This is what experience has taught me. Shows that get positive reviews may not be a positive experience for me. But the converse is not true: shows with bad reviews are always bad."

This is what experience has taught me. Shows that get positive reviews from other Broadway/West End performers are usually very good, as are shows that get bad reviews from snarky, mean-spirited critics (e.g., Brantley, Riedel).

============> this board is a nest of vipers <============

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage