Benazir Bhutto assassinated

ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Benazir Bhutto assassinated#26
Posted: 12/27/07 at 12:13pm
I was stunned when I saw the news this morning. Very sad and scary.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Benazir Bhutto assassinated#27
Posted: 12/27/07 at 12:14pm
it could be much, MUCH worse than really bad, D.....this could be all out war
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Benazir Bhutto assassinated#28
Posted: 12/27/07 at 12:22pm
Exactly, Elphaba. This is an extremely dangerous situation not only for the stability of Pakistan, but for the world. Pakistan is a major participant in the nuclear arms 'game' and (whether you care to believe it or not) a very valuable target for al-Qaeda. This is a terribly dangerous position for that other major nuclear nation - India. Would that nation feel it was in their best interests to go there in order to prevent al-Qaeda's incursion? The world will be walking on glass for the immediate future.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Benazir Bhutto assassinated#29
Posted: 12/27/07 at 12:26pm
I know S. Really Really Bad = war.

I am not trying to jump to a worst-case scenario, but this takes an already destabilized region, and throws further fuel on the chaos.

Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Benazir Bhutto assassinated#30
Posted: 12/27/07 at 12:44pm
After the initial shock and sadness, I realized that it wasn't all that surprising. It is truly awful.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Benazir Bhutto assassinated#31
Posted: 12/27/07 at 1:06pm
There is a really intersting book out I'd like to recommend. I read it and now when things like this happen, I can't help but wonder what will happen next:

"Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine advances a truly unnerving argument: historically, while people were reeling from natural disasters, wars and economic upheavals, savvy politicians and industry leaders nefariously implemented policies that would never have passed during less muddled times. As Klein demonstrates, this reprehensible game of bait-and-switch isn't just some relic from the bad old days. It's alive and well in contemporary society, and coming soon to a disaster area near you.

"At the most chaotic juncture in Iraq's civil war, a new law is unveiled that will allow Shell and BP to claim the country's vast oil reserves… Immediately following September 11, the Bush Administration quietly outsources the running of the 'War on Terror' to Halliburton and Blackwater… After a tsunami wipes out the coasts of Southeast Asia, the pristine beaches are auctioned off to tourist resorts… New Orleans residents, scattered from Hurricane Katrina, discover that their public housing, hospitals and schools will never be re-opened." "
The Shock Doctrine
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#32
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:06pm
so are you saying they'll auction off her hijab, joe?

of course all fingers point to ol' pervez, but that don't mean it's him. who benefits from the chaos this will cause? who thinks he'll survive much longer as a world leader after this? it's not like he's a moron who thought, "hah! they'll never figure out it's me." nor is he the kind of egomaniac who would think, "it won't matter if they know, i am a golden god!" no, i think the very fact that everything points to him makes a strong case for it being someone else. but who? who benefits?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#33
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:10pm
They just announced that the Pakistani military has been put on alert.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#34
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:16pm
It's mind boggling, papa. If we could tote up Winners & Losers, clearly Musharraf will end up on the Winner side: Not only was his only serious rival eliminated, but the very election is in doubt now. Unless she's got a clearly anointed successor, he's got a few more years at least. In addition, he's got a clear path to pretty much do whatever he wants for the next few months: anything in the name of preventing further violence.

Ah well, in any case this is bad bad news for the world at large. It could very well be seen as a pivotal event in the decades to come, like the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. I can only hope that GW won't have to cut short his well deserved vacation to deal with it. THAT would be the real tragedy.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#35
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:32pm
"Who loses?" is the bigger question, and the answer is the Pakistani people--and us. The United States is now, if you can believe it, LESS of a positive influence than ever before.

Not only did we prop up the Musharraf government--which supported the Taliban and allowed Osama bin Ladin sanctuary--but we also encouraged Bhutto to return, despite all intelligence saying she would be unsafe. Also--we supported HER government, and SHE supported the Taliban as well.

And whoever said she her corruption charges were trumped up by her opponents was not quite accurate. There are still ongoing corruption investigations from Spain and other European countries that want to know where their money went during her administration. Nothing as large as the $10 billion the Bushes gave to Musharraf, but Bhutto was no Mother Teresa.

I have said over and over that the Bush White House's lack of understanding of Near East politics is beyond shocking. They should be impeached simply for being stupid.

No outside country has EVER gone into the Near East and emerged victorious. Not England, not Russia and not us. The only thing Bush and Cheney got our of taking on Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan and Pakistan was a shItload of oil. And perhaps that's all they wanted all along.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#36
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:41pm
The musharraf is really hitting the fan, boys and goils.

Stick a fork in India.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#37
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:43pm
Absolutely PJ- I got cut short before I could talk about the losing side. The US is the big loser in every respect. If you doubt that, check the financial page: Gold and Oil prices are way up as the Dollar continues to fall. The world community no longer has any faith in the US. Chalk up another "Victory" to Bush's team.
Color and Light
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
benazir bhutto assassinated#38
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:49pm
My whole family has been glued to the TV all day following everything, biting our nails and wondering what all of this is going to imply for the world... needless to say, the mood is quite dour.

I also have two dear friends leaving in five days to study abroad in Northern India, so I'm even more antsy.

Everything just feels like such a losing situation.
Stop looking at my charisma.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#39
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:51pm
Unless of course this is what Bush and Cheney wanted all along: weak dollar means high oil prices. Hig oil prices mean large profits for oil companies.

Color and Light--Republican administrations ALWAYS lead to hopelessness. That's why we vote for Democrats.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#40
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:53pm
I honestly do not think Musharraf was directly behind this - she had plenty of enemies, and many who objected to a moderate female leading a Muslim nation. If anything, this weakens him further in the public's eye, and he is the natural target of the anger and accusation.

I would tend to believe Islamic extremists are behind her death - because if anything, the paves the wave for civil war in the country - and that is something neither Bhutto or Musharraf want. Musharraf now also has a big target on his back from both the Islamic extremists and those loyal to Bhutto. I just do not think he would be stupid enough to actually do this. (some of his supporters, who knows, but I actually doubt that he sanctioned this).

The losers here are the voices of moderation in Pakistan, and us, to a lesser extent: we have propped up this current government, and embraced Bhutto as a solution in the region.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#41
Posted: 12/27/07 at 2:53pm
Yes PJ one does wonder if they are that short-sighted. And of course, will this act of "Terrorism" effect the US elections.
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#42
Posted: 12/27/07 at 3:07pm
There is no one person entirely responsible (well, aside from the guy who pulled the trigger). Musharraf has a long history of supporting terrorism. There was a lot of security at this event. As a friend pointed out the most likely suspect really seems to be the ISI, who have leanings towards terrorist organizations already.

Musharraf has played his hand though, in the events that have led up to this. This is a serious and reprehensible tragedy. Whatever her shortcomings, she was a courageous woman. The Bush administration sent her in too soon (probably to look like they were doing something).

We may as well have tossed her off a cliff. She's clearly an inspiration to Pakistanis though, whether that's good or bad. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
yr ronin,
joey
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#43
Posted: 12/27/07 at 3:20pm
Our Stupid Leader had these words to say:

"The United States strongly condemns this cowardly act by murderous extremists who are trying to undermine Pakistan's democracy."

Pakistan's...democracy?

Apparently, no one in the White House told him Pakistan doesn't HAVE a democracy.

Or...scarier still...maybe they don't know.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#44
Posted: 12/27/07 at 3:22pm
"Hey I can't be keeping up with who gots democracy an who don't. I got brush to clear! I only get 20 or 30 weeks of vacation a year! Condi kin handle it."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#45
Posted: 12/27/07 at 3:25pm
The Decider went on to say:

"Those who committed this crime must be brought to justice."

Apparently no one told him the assassin exploded himself.

Why, oh why, do they let him discuss world politics with language derived from DC Comics?
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#46
Posted: 12/27/07 at 3:32pm
shhh... don't tell anyone, but he can't read. He gets his news by looking at the pictures.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#47
Posted: 12/27/07 at 3:45pm
a story was getting floated a while back that she was actually the candidate of choice by the extremists because they felt she would be the easiest to manipulate or - if necessary - eliminate.

it does set the stage for a protest candidate to rise from the ashes and ber swept into power on a wave of pervez hatred.

so pj, since the assassin blew himself up, you're satisfied that this was the work of a lone assassin and that no further investigation is necessary? just a single angry guy, huh?

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#48
Posted: 12/27/07 at 4:06pm
You don't want to KNOW who I think was responsible.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#49
Posted: 12/27/07 at 4:08pm
according to these guys aq has already claimed responsibility.
we kilt dat ho

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#50
Posted: 12/27/07 at 4:30pm
That report has already been discredited.