Liza Minnelli Collapses on Stage

Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#26
Posted: 12/13/07 at 1:43pm
artscallion, I had that a few years ago, along with a stupid doctor who told me it couldn't possibly be.

I switched doctors.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#27
Posted: 12/13/07 at 2:01pm
artscallion, I had that two years ago and coughed myself silly. I was gasping for air. Rest, rest and more rest.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#28
Posted: 12/13/07 at 2:03pm
The CNN report seems to give the most info and she got horrible reviews for every show over there because she had no voice. I hope she can find solace in trying her best under difficult circumstances.

Some of the reports are picking the "Liza is fine" message posted on the officiallizaminnelli.com schedule regarding the cancelled Copenhagen concerts, but that was posted before this happened. I sincerely hope this is just the flu or something, but dizziness during in the day and then passing out isn't to be taken lightly.

CNN
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#29
Posted: 12/13/07 at 2:45pm
Lana Turner has collapsed!
I was trotting along and suddenly
it started raining and snowing
and you said it was hailing
but hailing hits you on the head
hard so it was really snowing and
raining and I was in such a hurry
to meet you but the traffic
was acting exactly like the sky
and suddenly I see a headline
LANA TURNER HAS COLLAPSED!
there is no snow in Hollywood
there is no rain in California
I have been to lots of parties
and acted perfectly disgraceful
but I never actually collapsed
oh Lana Turner we love you get up

-- Frank O'Hara
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#30
Posted: 12/13/07 at 4:18pm
Rath, my doctor told me that they recently discovered that the childhood vaccine we all got for it doesn't last your whole life. So more and more adults are getting it. He tells me I should get another vaccine once I'm better.

nmartin, it's the worst cough ever. codeine, codeine and more codeine!

I just sat in bumper to bumper snowstorm traffic for more than two hours (usually a ten minute drive) with my whooping cough. I need tea! And I'll relax listening to Liza's "The Act." See, not a total thread jack!
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Silbee
Understudy
Understudy
Liza#31
Posted: 12/13/07 at 4:22pm
I look forward to seeing her in London in May. Best wishes to her...
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#32
Posted: 12/13/07 at 4:30pm
i hope she's ok
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#33
Posted: 12/13/07 at 5:26pm
Oldest trick in the book. Give a crappy performance? Pass out and say you are sick! All is forgiven.

Is the woman in that video her lover? She was awfully...mmmmm....lovey-dovey...

Seriously, Liza, take time off. You are not doing anyone (you OR your fans) performing in that condition. That was excruciating.

Get well and come back stronger than ever!
PEACE.
Updated On: 12/13/07 at 05:26 PM
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#34
Posted: 12/13/07 at 5:42pm
I wonder if that video is from the photographer her agent went after.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#35
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:51am
From the website:
Thursday, December 13, 2007 -- 4:55 PM EST

Liza just arrived back in NY, and is fine. She will now be seeing her doctor to determine what caused her dizziness and to collapse yesterday. Liza did not collapse onstage, as has been incorrectly reported elsewhere, but off-stage. Again, Liza is fine, and appreciates the concern of her fans all over the world, and sends them her love. More will be posted here if needed, but please do know that Liza is fine.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#36
Posted: 12/14/07 at 8:20am
Nedanovski said the concert was the last of four scheduled in Sweden -- two in Stockholm over the weekend and two in Gothenburg this week.

He said he suspected Minnelli may have been upset that her European agent, Mustafa Metin, was jailed after allegedly assaulting a photographer Dec. 8, and upset at poor reviews for her Tuesday show.

"She was a bit shaky and upset on the 12th because of the incident involving Metin and she didn't get good reviews for her concert on the 11th," Nedanovski said.

A statement on Minnelli's Web site said her planned concerts in Copenhagen, Denmark on Friday and Saturday were canceled, but her Jan. 12 concert in Providence, R.I. was still on.

"All is fine, Liza is fine, and the tour is continuing, otherwise, as scheduled," the statement reads.

I have a creepy feeling that the people issuing the "Liza is fine" reports are just the modern-day version of the enablers who shoved Judy on stage when when she wasn't well enough or fit enough to perform.

She can be her own worst enemy when it comes to picking friends.

Dame--I wish you hadn't posted that YouTube link. That's what makes me think that all is NOT fine.
EponineAmneris Profile PhotoEponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#37
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:05am
I wish her well and hope it's nothing serious. She's amazing.
"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#38
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:59am
The 'all is fine, Liza is fine' quote is taken from the schedule of dates on the website. It was posted when the Copenhagen dates were cancelled weeks ago, before she even left for Europe, but everybody's reading it as if it was posted due to her passing out in Sweden.

Though the webmaster repeated that 'Liza is fine' in the update he posted after she got home. Obviously she is not 'fine' since she crashed, but hopefully it was just stress, fatigue, and the cold or flu she recently had.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#39
Posted: 12/14/07 at 10:29am
hopefully it was just stress, fatigue, and the cold or flu she recently had.

We're talking about a woman with longtime substance-abuse problems and a history of recidivism. The likelihood of it being just those things and non-substance-related is lower than it would be for someone with no such history.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#40
Posted: 12/14/07 at 10:59am
That's true, but even alcoholics can gets colds or the flu.

Obviously we all wish Liza happiness and good health but, barring that, given a choice between a sober Liza having a serious medical problem that caused her to pass out or a hammered Liza passing out - which would you choose?
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#41
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:02am
I would choose a Liza getting the appropriate care and treatment that is now available to her, that was stigmatized or not available in her mother's day.

But I would have had her choose that 20 years ago.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#42
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:19am
Bogus stereotypical answer, or you truly don't understand the nature of addiction and alcoholism.

Relapse is a setback, not a total failure. It's an indicator that there are still issues or situations one needs to learn to deal with. She's dealt with a lot of crap and has been to rehab many times, but that doesn't mean every wall has been torn down, every insecurity banished.

Do you even realize how judgmental your comment is? It's that judgmental attitude that discourages a lot of active users from seeking help.

SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#43
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:29am
PJ, I think that 'treatment' is STILL stigmatized. In fact, I think that people who make it common knowledge that they are seeking treatment and who later relapse are seen as bigger "failures" than people who NEVER seek treatment.

I hope this is not a relapse for Liza. I am not sure how that rumor even got started in this event. Look at the video. She doesn't seem drunk, more like a professional who is feeling really bad, but trying to get through the performance any way she can. She KNOWS she sounds bad, that is why she motions for her girlfriend to take the high notes in Silent Night.
If she was DRUNK or HIGH she would be out there belting away no matter HOW she sounded.
PEACE.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#44
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:36am
Unfortunately it's a rumor that some people attach to Liza every time something doesn't go well for her.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#45
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:36am
you truly don't understand the nature of addiction and alcoholism

I understand them better than you know.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#46
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:40am
No, you obviously don't. How you handle stuff doesn't necessarily work for others. Everybody has to find what works for them.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#47
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:48am
And what Liza chooses is a shame.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#48
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:07pm
I feel sorry for ya, Pal
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#49
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:11pm
Your sympathy is misplaced.

Liza

Judy collapsed on stage too, But she was FINE. She was JUST FINE.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#50
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:19pm
You seem to be confusing acceptance of reality with denial. I never denied Liza's had a history of substance abuse problems, but I'm not going to assume every problem she has is due to that history.