Yom Kippur

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#26
Posted: 9/24/04 at 4:56pm
Hug Samayuch!!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
laactress Profile Photolaactress Profile Photo
laactress
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#27
Posted: 9/24/04 at 5:00pm
Eat all you can now, cause in about 5 hours (west coast time) we can't eat for 24 hours! Be well all!
It started with a sipmle idea, collecting one paper clip for every life lost, the feelings that connect us...are greater than those that divide us!
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#28
Posted: 9/25/04 at 2:27pm
Ah it's good to be 7 hours ahead of you all... Here in Israel we just broke fast and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't that difficult this year though- just the last couple of hours. It's the no drinking part that gets me, not the not eating - I get such a headache sometimes. Luckily, not this year.

Plus, here we get something really wonderful- the whole country just STOPS. And I mean, really stops - no tv, no radio, no cars..... Trust me, there is nothing that compares to walking ON the busiest highway in Israel!! It's just surreal, because there are no cars on it, just people.....it's really cool. I love that peaceful feeling.

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
SammyGal Profile PhotoSammyGal Profile Photo
SammyGal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#29
Posted: 9/25/04 at 3:38pm
wow, bwaylover. I want to be in Israel for for the High Holy Days one year. Sounds amazing and spiritual.

I haven't decided what to atone for ...

Seeing Taboo so many times and enjoying Euan naked does not fit under my criteria! haha

I haven't been true to myself this past year. There were external reasons for that but it's caused me to lose the girl inside of me, the woman I was becoming.
I'm gonna hope I find myself again this year. Find the girl and the woman stuck in a crowd of people.
On a clear day I can see myself for miles ~Taboo
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#30
Posted: 9/25/04 at 4:37pm
Yeah, it's pretty spiritual and most certainly amazing. :)

I forgot to say what I was atoning for....

Neglecting my old friends because I had made a lot of new ones..
Being mad at my mother and taking it out on my brother..
Not being patient enough sometimes..
Being arrogant sometimes..
And not being honest with myself about certain things.
"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
CurtainUp Profile PhotoCurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#31
Posted: 9/25/04 at 5:12pm
I think fasting is so refreshing, unfortunately I couldnt do that or go the schul because I have a bad cold.
Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#32
Posted: 9/25/04 at 8:43pm
I was very moved by your posting. Living here in the USA not evrything stops, But what caught my eye the most was the way you described the peaceful and serene surroundings in Israel on Yom Kippur. That was so beautiful to hear that. Here we only think of war in Israel. Thank you for teaching me that peace isnt something that just happens..........you have to make it.
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
ElphieDefiesGravity Profile PhotoElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#33
Posted: 9/25/04 at 11:25pm
I was very moved in shul this year. The Kol Nidre service is extremely beautiful, and it was really amazing to see so many Jews gathered together to pray. Our synagogue is well attended during the year, but it is really special to realize you share a common bond with SO many people. Also, this evening, at the end of the service, during the Sh'ma and during TEKIAH GEDOLAH, I was very moved and actually started crying.

This year's fast was my easiest yet, for some reason. The worst was the thirst, but it was better than previous years. One of my friends actually collapsed, though. I think it was her first time fasting because she had her Bat Mitzvah last year.

I hope you all were written and sealed in the Book of Life. HAve a healthy, happy, and sweet year!
"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#34
Posted: 9/25/04 at 11:37pm
Just a dumb question, so in the fast, no water either?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
ElphieDefiesGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#35
Posted: 9/25/04 at 11:41pm
Nope re: Yom Kippur
That is the worst. All day today, my mouth felt yucky. I brushed my teeth three times today (without swallowing any water).
"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#36
Posted: 9/25/04 at 11:47pm
Wow, that is strict. Even those of us raised Catholic could have water.
Hope your fast was some what easy and Happy Yom Kippur!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#37
Posted: 9/25/04 at 11:52pm
Thank goodness, the fast went okay. Just the usual stomachache and slight dizziness. :) The strange part was attending services at my college for the first time- they were (no surprise) very Reform. A little weird for this Conservative girl.
Musetta1957 Profile PhotoMusetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#38
Posted: 9/26/04 at 3:39am
What great posts to read! I'm not Jewish (and no one in my famiy is -- we're Asian American agnostics, for the most part), but I've been fascinated by Judaism and the Jewish culture for a while now. Not in terms of conversion, but reading everyone's experiences regarding different holidays and such. Really really interesting stuff. Thanks!

I should go listen to a Dudu Fisher CD now. I have two... :)
http://www.onlysimchas.com
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#39
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:31am
This yr the Rabbi instructed every one who had their own shofar to bring it to join in with the tekiyah gdolah & it was great!! The sounds just kept picking up & reberverating against each other really exhilerating! Gut YonTiff to all!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#40
Posted: 9/26/04 at 3:32pm
Sabre Lady............my Rabbi had us do the same thing this year. So tell me, is your Shul in Bloomfield, CT?
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
ElphieDefiesGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#41
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:50pm
We do that every year at my shul! All the kids (and adults) with shofars come up onto the bimah for the final tekiah gedolah. I love it! (My shul is in North Carolina!)

sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#42
Posted: 9/26/04 at 7:34pm
Mine is in Toronto.
Link Larkin Wanabe Profile PhotoLink Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#43
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:24pm
I spent my Yom Kippur in Toronto too. It was actually really a good holiday for me. I sorted through a lot of **** in my mind. And the fast wasn't too difficult.

Akiva