Page: 2

Revival of HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE with Mary-Louise Parker and David Morse

KnewItWhenIWasInFron Profile PhotoKnewItWhenIWasInFron Profile Photo
KnewItWhenIWasInFron
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

Wow. I think it's my favorite play of the last 25 years, and I have such amazing memories of the original cast at the Vineyard. I wonder if Johanna Day will join them?

jimmycurry01 Profile Photojimmycurry01 Profile Photo
jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wee Thomas2 said: "Elizabeth Reaser was SO vulnerable in the Butz version, that's a tough measuring stick for Parker to match up against.

I couldn't look at Butz for awhile after that show.
"

Parker created the role, and to critical acclaim. It is usually her that serves as the measuring stick for those who followed, including Ms. Reaser.

EthelMae Profile PhotoEthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

OK, remind me: I saw this show in its last legs in the original production, I don’t remember who closed that production, I just remember being disappointed in it after I had heard such great things about the play for so long. I thought then that maybe it was only great with its original stars. Were the roles any age? I don’t remember. Could actors 25 years later play this play? Maybe I should give it another chance with these original stars.

DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

EthelMae said: "Were the roles any age? I don’t remember. Could actors 25 years later play this play? Maybe I should give it another chance with these original stars."

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

It's a memory play, so while MLP is playing a 15-18 year old through most of it, Li'l Bit is technically at least 40 while looking back IIRC. I don't think at least MLP could age out of it, maybe David Morse, but even then Peck is still not young so they are probably still perfect for the roles.

Wee Thomas2 Profile PhotoWee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

jimmycurry01 said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Elizabeth Reaser was SO vulnerable in the Butz version, that's a tough measuring stick for Parker to match up against.

I couldn't look at Butz for awhile after that show.
"

Parker created the role, and to critical acclaim. It is usually her that serves as the measuring stick for those who followed, including Ms. Reaser.
"

As I didn't see the original, Reaser will be my measuring stick.