2
Page: 2


Midsommar

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
joined:7/22/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/22/03
Midsommar#26
Posted: 7/21/19 at 3:45am

Sally, I enjoyed reading your post very much. 
 

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Updated On: 7/21/19 at 03:45 AM
Sally Durant Plummer Profile PhotoSally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
Broadway Legend
joined:8/15/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/15/13
Midsommar#27
Posted: 7/21/19 at 7:55pm

Thanks, Namo. Much appreciated. I miss your posts here. Come to think of it, I miss a lot of once-regular posters...

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
joined:7/22/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/22/03
Midsommar#28
Posted: 7/22/19 at 11:56am

?. <——— That’s what happens when you tap the smiley emoji. 

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Updated On: 7/22/19 at 11:56 AM
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
joined:10/8/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
10/8/03
Midsommar#29
Posted: 7/23/19 at 9:13am

Saw this opening night, and thought it was riveting and deeply disturbing. Beautifully filmed. Florence Pugh is absolutely phenomenal.

haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
joined:3/29/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/29/14
Midsommar#30
Posted: 7/23/19 at 1:31pm

persephone88 said: "Thought Florence Pugh did a great job, but at times the script had me going, "Really, you're still just going to hang around here after this? Really?""

Well, you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave...

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
joined:7/22/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/22/03
Midsommar#31
Posted: 7/23/19 at 4:24pm

That's absolute truth, haterobics!

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
GeorgeandDot Profile PhotoGeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
Broadway Legend
joined:12/13/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/13/16
Midsommar#32
Posted: 7/24/19 at 1:57am
I read the screenplay and her attempts and suggestions of leaving ended up on the cutting room floor, unfortunately. I'm interested in seeing the full version. A lot of important stuff got left out in the theatrical cut.
Broadway Joe Profile PhotoBroadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
Broadway Legend
joined:6/15/10
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/15/10
Midsommar#33
Posted: 10/21/19 at 6:34pm

I finally saw this and hated almost everything about it lol I was disappointed cause hereditary was one of my favorites last year. All the characters were absolute idiots when they didn't question anything enough. All of them were there just to set up a horrible way to kill each one of them. The main boyfriend was shown as a "bad guy" who screwed her over but he really wasn't bad at all. Her parents and sister just died and though he wanted to break up with her he didn't want to compound that with breaking up with her. Then she freaked out when she caught him "cheating" but he didn't really cheat, he was drugged and was essentially raped with all those woman watching and even helping? Lol. Also that whole scene with them moaning and singing was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Didn't know this was a comedy because it sure as hell wasn't the least bit scary. What a total bore. 

Hopefully his next movie is better.

Updated On: 10/21/19 at 06:34 PM
GeorgeandDot Profile PhotoGeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
Broadway Legend
joined:12/13/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/13/16
Midsommar#34
Posted: 10/21/19 at 7:56pm

Broadway Joe said: "I finally saw this and hated almost everything about it lol I was disappointed cause hereditary was one of my favorites last year. All the characters were absolute idiots when they didn't question anything enough. All of them were there just to set up a horrible way to kill each one of them. The main boyfriend was shown as a "bad guy" who screwed her over but he really wasn't bad at all. Her parents and sister just died and though he wanted to break up with her he didn't want to compound that with breaking up with her. Then she freaked out when she caught him "cheating" but he didn't really cheat, he was drugged and was essentially raped with all those woman watching and even helping? Lol. Also that whole scene with them moaning and singing was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Didn't know this was a comedy because it sure as hell wasn't the least bit scary. What a total bore.

Hopefully his next movie is better.
"

This is a catastrophically bad take that makes me feel bad for your significant other.

Broadway Joe Profile PhotoBroadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
Broadway Legend
joined:6/15/10
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/15/10
Midsommar#35
Posted: 10/21/19 at 8:02pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Broadway Joe said: "I finally saw this and hated almost everything about it lol I was disappointed cause hereditary was one of my favorites last year. All the characters were absolute idiots when they didn't question anything enough. All of them were there just to set up a horrible way to kill each one of them. The main boyfriend was shown as a "bad guy" who screwed her over but he really wasn't bad at all. Her parents and sister just died and though he wanted to break up with her he didn't want to compound that with breaking up with her. Then she freaked out when she caught him "cheating" but he didn't really cheat, he was drugged and was essentially raped with all those woman watching and even helping? Lol. Also that whole scene with them moaning and singing was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Didn't know this was a comedy because it sure as hell wasn't the least bit scary. What a total bore.

Hopefully his next movie is better.
"

This is a catastrophically bad take that makes me feel bad for your significant other.
"

You're reaching with that take. What did he do that was so bad that he deserved to get burned alive? He was going to break up with her before her whole family died. If you're ok with that I'd be much more concerned about your significant other lol

 

Updated On: 10/21/19 at 08:02 PM
BIG BALONEY Profile PhotoBIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
Featured Actor
joined:6/21/03
Featured Actor
joined:
6/21/03
Midsommar#36
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:35pm
This film was hard to sit through and that ending was very disturbing to me. Reminded me of Titus Andronicus with these weird killings.
Impossible2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/31/18
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/31/18
Midsommar#37
Posted: 11/1/19 at 10:41pm

Broadway Joe said: "GeorgeandDot said: "Broadway Joe said: "I finally saw this and hated almost everything about it lol I was disappointed cause hereditary was one of my favorites last year. All the characters were absolute idiots when they didn't question anything enough. All of them were there just to set up a horrible way to kill each one of them. The main boyfriend was shown as a "bad guy" who screwed her over but he really wasn't bad at all. Her parents and sister just died and though he wanted to break up with her he didn't want to compound that with breaking up with her. Then she freaked out when she caught him "cheating" but he didn't really cheat, he was drugged and was essentially raped with all those woman watching and even helping? Lol. Also that whole scene with them moaning and singing was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Didn't know this was a comedy because it sure as hell wasn't the least bit scary. What a total bore.

Hopefully his next movie is better.
"

This is a catastrophically bad take that makes me feel bad for your significant other.
"

You're reaching with that take. What did he do that was so bad that he deserved to get burned alive? He was going to break up with her before her whole family died. If you're ok with that I'd be much more concerned about your significant other lol


"

I felt like you on first viewing, that she was a little harsh on him.

However on 2nd viewing...

He had actually already agreed to have sex with the other girl long before he was given the drugs and was out of it.

In the end he was horrible to his girlfriend, he should've been honest with her despite what she'd been through. He also had absolutely no loyalty to any of his friends and didn't give a **** when the English couple went missing. He was a narcissistic pig!

In her defence, I don't think she burnt him just because he'd cheated on her, that was just the final straw, she burnt him because he was a horrible person to everyone not just her. She was also drugged and completely brainwashed by that point, so it really wasn't going to turn out any other way.

I really loved the film. First time I thought it was a little meh, but on 2nd viewing I loved it.

clever2 Profile Photoclever2 Profile Photo
clever2
Understudy
joined:5/19/19
Understudy
joined:
5/19/19
Midsommar#38
Posted: 11/24/19 at 5:31am
I saw the director's cut when it was briefly released in September. My friends and I make a habit of reading a quick blurb about movies like this, special, unique, limited select release. It’s fair to say for this one, my only knowledge was the poster, which I saw in the theatre on my way to the screening.

How long was Midsommar that night? Maybe 170 minutes. I think the theatrical cut was pushing 145. With no knowledge of what had been restored, we all sat back and allowed whatever was about to happen to happen.

The prologue is so devastating and lengthy, I’d forgotten there’d been no opening credits. Then the camera moves beyond her hysterical cries of agony as she writhes in her trapped boyfriend’s lap, heading for the window and the show beyond, eventually pushing through the glass, immersing us in a blizzard, the word “Midsommar” faintly billowing in the wind, almost transparent.

AND I WAS ALL IN.

This movie hypnotized me. All of us actually. No one moved from their seats, no bathroom breaks, complete commitment to the ride. We always knew the village was a cult. Knowing that, I think, was intended. But what would that mean, I questioned? How dangerous will this become? The unraveling of the community’s charade was presented with such a naturalness, the old couple leaping to their deaths was shocking, yes, but it also felt right. I found myself gradually immersing myself in these traditions.

By the time she was May Queen, I was May Queen with her. It was an unnamable experience, that film. All I can say is I let it take me and those three hours flew by. I wouldn’t want a experience like Midsommar to be my every experience at the movies. I don’t know if I ever need to see it again. Yet during my time with it, I was in it. And that’s a hell of a lot to say about psychological drama horror suspense comedy religious film.

2