Page: 2

Trevor Nunn is directing The Bridges of Madison County in London

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

RippedMan said: "Agreed! Great score but I don’t think Sher knee what he was doing"

One thing he may have got out of it are incredible performances though. I guess it's always hard to tell how much the director shaped the performances, but this is basically Kelli's best work in my opinion*, with other notable performances from Steve P and Whitney Bashor. Even Hunter F did a good job at being so unromantic and plain it was easy to see how the story could progress. I'd be surprised if any cast will ever match the aesthetic quality, intimacy and tension of this original cast (although I guess everyone always says the originals can never be topped).

*I really believe it's her NEXT TO NORMAL, GREY GARDENS, GYPSY etc. I wish she had received greater recognition for the role. 

"Itís the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"Itís the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
GavestonPS Profile PhotoGavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

AEA AGMA SM said: "The comment meant keeping the casting of the leads in their late 30s, not the time period of the show."

Well, then, as Gilda Radner-playing-Emily Latella used to say, "Never mind."

GavestonPS Profile PhotoGavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

qolbinau said: "...I guess it's always hard to tell how much the director shaped the performances, but this is basically Kelli's best work in my opinion...."

I only know Miss O'Hara's work from TV, the MetHD and recordings, but I wholeheartedly agree. Although I will happily defend Elizabeth Stanley in the part, O'Hara is simply astonishing on the OBCR.

RippedMan Profile PhotoRippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
agreed! Hard to say. I loved the performances but hated the staging.