Advertisement

Page: 2

HADESTOWN Reviews

amaklo
Stand-by
Stand-by
HADESTOWN Reviews#26
Posted: 10/9/19 at 10:12pm

Very credible and interesting interpretation. On a personal level, I don’t think that would have altered my enjoyment. My wife and I are sitting in Oklahoma — Damon Dianne is out, permy prior post re bing tired of actors missing performances. My wife just commented againon how much she enjoyed Hadestown. Individual tastes make the world go round."

I was in NYC last weekend and saw Oklahoma! and Hadestown also.  I was surprised how much I disliked Oklahoma!, even knowing what to expect.  The staging and interpretation just didn't work for me.  Aside from Ali Stoker, no one's singing sounded particularly good. 

On the other hand I loved Hadestown.  Those folks all sounded great.  I noticed what looked like a bandage on Amber Gray's forearm but thought it was part of her costume. 

The only principal out from either show was Will Brill from Oklahoma! (who I was sorry to miss as I'm a big Mrs. Maisel fan).

benfox2 Profile Photobenfox2 Profile Photo
benfox2
Understudy
Understudy
HADESTOWN Reviews#27
Posted: 10/15/19 at 11:17pm
After Betrayal on Friday I ended up splurging and buying Hadestown tickets the day of Saturday 10/12. I got a middle mezzanine row F seat for ~$165 after stubhub fees. I had been watching stubhub before showtime for the past week or so, so I knew that if I waited I could get cheap tickets, but on Friday they all sold out before noon. Thus on Saturday I was spooked and spent more than I might have if I had waited. Oh well. I went into the show almost completely blind, outside of knowing the story(and outcome) of the myth, and hearing songs from the trailer and Tony performance. All the principals were in which was good, only person out was one worker's chorus member, but if I hadn't known I would have had no clue anyone was even out. I had read that Amber Grey had a wrist injury that kept her out for a couple days, but she was back and only had a small bandage that worked well with her costume.

As for the show itself, it was Fantastic! The opening number and introduction of everyone had me beaming. Andre De Shields has a stage presence unlike anything I've seen before. From his very first line to the song after bows he had the audience in his palm. In the opening number when he (very slight spoilers) has the audience do a call and response with him, everyone understood and responded. The rest of that opening number was just so much fun, the audience had a great energy and was very much into it and clapped loudly for everyone. The set was gorgeous, and when (more spoilers) it opened up as they went into hell I gasped. Such an incredible thing and I'm glad I went in unspoiled. The lighting worked perfectly especially for the journey at the end of the show. It all gave such a perfect steampunk atmosphere. I also really liked the use of the lift to take people in and out of hell, made for great moments of tension as people went up and down. This is largely because I'm an idiot, but I will say that for how much the songs talk about a railroad line there is a surprising lack of trains or railroad tracks. It took me a sadly long time to realize that the lift was acting as the railroad.

The music caught me totally off guard with how enjoyable it was. The jazz/folk combination worked so much better than I ever would've thought it could. Even with that genre, the songs differed so much from upbeat jazz to gorgeous melodies with the Epics. The score truly shined and Anais Mitchell's tony was well deserved. I also don't think I've ever seen a musician do more with a show than the Trombonist did. That man was having the time of his life. I hope he's getting paid more than the normal pit salary because he truly deserves it.

The performances were a real standout. Eva Noblezada's had fantastic vocals and her performance was truly something special. She added such a fun wittiness to the character while also seeming quite young and innocent. All of the fates and Worker's Chorus looked like they were having the time of their lives on stage, really just having fun with the roles. Amber Grey also was having a blast with her role. Her pivot from drinking away her problems for most of the show into what her character became at the end was truly wonderful. At first I thought she was hamming it up, but the contrast from drunk Persephone to sad, sober, yet hopeful Persephone really amplified the performance. Patrick Page was also good, I will say I thought he was a little dry, until the very end when he hears Epic III. Then his entire performance made sense to me, of it being mostly a facade of a big mean evil god-king. Obviously he is big mean and evil, but the end fleshed it out wonderfully. As for Reeve Carney, I unfortunately thought he gave the strangest performance acting wise. He sang gorgeously, but the performance was just weird to me. It definitely came off slightly special needs, but I'm pretty sure my problem with that lies in the direction/writing more than him. The autism angle other commenters mentioned does make wayyy more sense in retrospect.

My only 2 nitpicks come from the fact that coming in blind made me have troubles interpreting the lyrics at time. The music is great, but at times can be a lot if you've never heard it before. Didn't hinder my experience much, but it was slightly overwhelming at times. I also had an annoying family of 5 in front of me. For the first act they kept chatting among st themselves and I shushed them once.The daughter a few seats down could not sit still, and neither could the son in front of me. He was quite tall, and they were both quite fidgety. I cut more slack for the son as that mezzanine is quite unforgiving for leg room, however I was doing my best to sit still for the people behind me despite the uncomfort, so it did feel slightly irritating that they couldn't do the same for me. At intermission I asked an usher to tell them to be quiet and then went to buy some merch(A sticker for a friend, a red rose lapel pin, and a cup), so that helped a lot. They were much much better Act 2. However one thing I found funny was after going to my seat at intermission the mom leaned back, looked at me, shushed me and then tried to play it off like she was talking to her daughter. Slow down on the wine mom. Props to them for shutting up Act 2 though. Those didn't take away from the experience at all though, and if anything only gave me a better story :).

I did stage door, and was fortunate enough to have my father(who saw a movie smh) save a spot at the front. The people behind him were nice enough to let me switch with him so I could be up front, so thank you to them. Eva, Reeve, 2 fates, and 2 Workers ensemble came out and all signed. The stage door was busy, but was actually quite respectful. I helped pass programs up to be signed and everyone was really nice and orderly. I even could chat with the actors as they signed.

Overall the experience was amazing. Well worth the extra money I spent. Listening to the cast recording only makes me want to go see it again. Wouldn't be surprised if I got my family to see it with me once more. If anyone is on the fence about this, GO SEE IT! The original cast has such great chemistry together and it was truly a treat to see them all perform.
ModernMillie3 Profile PhotoModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
HADESTOWN Reviews#28
Posted: 10/16/19 at 3:12pm

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about the annoying AF family in front of you. When I attended last month, there was a woman who was in the wrong seat, but she refused, and I mean REFUSED to get up. Security had to stand right beside her until she got up. This poor couple just wanted to take their seats, but she was being ridiculous. Held up the performance and people in the audience were not having it. 

Anyways, I agree with you about Eva. For me, she is a luminous, brilliant actress who changes the entire mood of the room. Her beauty and presence on that stage was something incredibly special. I occasionally look at audience members, and when people were looking at her, they were in awe. She was truly born to be a musical theater actress, and if you miss her in this, you are missing one of the best performances on Broadway in a very long time. She gives everything she has, and sounded perfect. I cannot wait to see what she does next. 

inception Profile Photoinception Profile Photo
inception
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
HADESTOWN Reviews#29
Posted: 12/28/19 at 8:01am
Saw yesterday's (Friday, December 27) matinee. I am curious about Amber Gray's performance: during bows does she always kind of angrily glare about at the audience? I didn't notice that anyone did anything out of line, so I wondered if it is part of her staying in character?
Piparoo Profile PhotoPiparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
HADESTOWN Reviews#30
Posted: 12/29/19 at 8:47am

inception said: "Saw yesterday's (Friday, December 27) matinee. I am curious about Amber Gray's performance: during bows does she always kind of angrily glare about at the audience? I didn't notice that anyone did anything out of line, so I wondered if it is part of her staying in character?
"

I’ve seen it twice and, while I wouldn’t say she looked angry, both times she did appear wistful and subdued throughout the curtain call song and bows.  In fact, I think they all pretty much stay in character throughout the bows,

Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HADESTOWN Reviews#31
Posted: 1/8/20 at 1:36am

Just saw this again (second time) Tuesday night. I really, really liked it last time. I missed Eva last time, but tonight everyone was in, including Eva. Wow, I was pretty dry-eyed last time, but tonight I cried buckets. I think that is because last time I had only listened to the cast recording once. I also must credited Eva’s vulnerable performance. Tonight I was aware of where things were ending which gave it all more sadness. Bravo! 

I was going to buy the new mug they have on the website but they aren’t selling it inside of the theater, only on website. 

Since I had stage doored last time, my friend and I stayed long enough to get a flower then headed to late post-theater dinner. 

Updated On: 1/8/20 at 01:36 AM
florida theatre kid Profile Photoflorida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
HADESTOWN Reviews#32
Posted: 1/24/20 at 8:24am
I saw the show last night 1/23. Went in without knowing much of the music besides anything they’ve performed on TV. Absolutely incredible. A year into their Broadway run (and many who have been with it years before that), the energy is still electric. I loved the opening number and the introduction of everyone. Really gets the audience involved right away.

Nothing much more can be said about the top notch cast. DeShields is legendary. Page is chilling. Grey should have walked away with every award. The chemistry between Carney and Noblezeda takes their performances to the next level.

Can’t say enough about the great shape this show is still in. Audience was in it from start to finish.
Joe Mayo
Understudy
Understudy
HADESTOWN Reviews#33
Posted: 1/24/20 at 11:52am

florida theatre kid said: "I saw the show last night 1/23. Went in without knowing much of the music besides anything they’ve performed on TV. Absolutely incredible. A year into their Broadway run (and many who have been with it years before that), the energy is still electric. I loved the opening number and the introduction of everyone. Really gets the audience involved right away.

Nothing much more can be said about the top notch cast. DeShields is legendary. Page is chilling. Grey should have walked away with every award. The chemistry between Carney and Noblezeda takes their performances to the next level.

Can’t say enough about the great shape this show is still in. Audience was in it from start to finish.
"

Saw it for the second time this week. Agree on everything (especially Grey who is just incredible) with the exception of Carney who I think is the weakest link of the group. Vocally, I think he's very good, but in both viewings I thought his portrayal of the character came across as "slow" vs naive.

The staging and integration of the band is fantastic for a simple set without changes. My favorite scene is the back and forth between Hades and Orpheus with the spinning stage. Reminded me of the extremely effective choreography in Come From Away with the chairs.

I'll have to get back to view from the Mezz, which each time has looked like fantastic viewing angles. In a small theater like the Kerr, hopefully it has a very nice sustained run.