Jan Maxwell

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#26
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:24pm
How is Marin Mazzies battle with cancer? Anyone know? I believe I read somewhere she entered remission, but I saw something that said she got cancer again.
PianoMann Profile PhotoPianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#27
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:27pm

Call_me_jorge said: "How is Marin Mazzies battle with cancer? Anyone know? I believe I read somewhere she entered remission, but I saw something that said she got cancer again."

I believe she's currently starring in Fire and Ice Off-Broadway, no? I assume that means she's in good health.

WhizzerMarvin Profile PhotoWhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#28
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:30pm
Her performance in The Royal Family was so good. I remember her running around the stage with her overly hammy (on purpose) acting until she collapsed on the rug, only to spring up again when she thought she would be late for the theater. It was hysterical and perfectly pitched.

She was the best part of the Lend Me a Tenor revival and of course Follies was tremendous. She quaked with rage at the end of Could I Leave You? Brilliant.

She will be very, very missed. Thanks for the memories.
Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#29
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:31pm

PianoMann said: "Call_me_jorge said: "How is Marin Mazzies battle with cancer? Anyone know? I believe I read somewhere she entered remission, but I saw something that said she got cancer again."

I believe she's currently starring in Fire and Ice Off-Broadway, no? I assume that means she's in good health.
"

She appears to still be actively undergoing treatment for her cancer:

http://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway/news/interview-marin-mazzie-fire-and-air_83929.html

I will be devastated if Mazzie doesn't pull through, but Jan's death is such a shock because as far as I know her illness was not public knowledge. So shocking!

"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
RexInLights
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#30
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:34pm

This is devastating news. My condolences and respect to her friends and family. A legend gone far too soon.

PianoMann Profile PhotoPianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#31
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:35pm

Thanks for the clarification regarding Mazzie.  Wishing her a speedy recovery!

uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#32
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:40pm
I knew of her but she hit my radar after reading outside about her here on the boards and was lucky enough to see her in FOLLIES. So glad I at least got to see her once. She was everything and more that I read about her here. May she text in peace.
Just give the world Love.
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#33
Posted: 2/11/18 at 6:41pm
This one hurts. She was a brilliant actress who never got the acclaim she deserved. She should have had multiple Tonys. Her performances in Follies, Royal Family, Lend Me A Tenor, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang were like master classes. She was just that good. This is a real loss for the theater community.
The Other One
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#34
Posted: 2/11/18 at 7:06pm

Heartbreaking.  She was peerless.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photooncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#35
Posted: 2/11/18 at 7:32pm

Her bag is full. Our hearts are just as full.

This is such a loss for the entire theater community. I don’t think the size of the loss has sunken in yet. 

Peace and condolences to her family.

TotallyEffed Profile PhotoTotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#36
Posted: 2/11/18 at 7:45pm
I’m very shocked and saddened by this. She was a joy to watch on stage.

May she rest in peace.
Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#37
Posted: 2/11/18 at 7:47pm

We were all just discussing her as a great Dolly replacement. This is very sudden and sad. Rest in peace Jan, xo

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
brettarnett Profile Photobrettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#38
Posted: 2/11/18 at 7:47pm

I am devastated. 

dlenxz Profile Photodlenxz Profile Photo
dlenxz
Swing
Swing
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#39
Posted: 2/11/18 at 7:51pm

I was just telling a friend a few months ago how much I missed seeing her onstage. I literally gasped when I saw this headline.

I am incredibly thankful to have seen her in "Coram Boy," "Lend Me A Tenor," and "Follies".

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#40
Posted: 2/11/18 at 7:55pm

PianoMann said: "Thanks for the clarification regardingMazzie. Wishing her a speedy recovery!"

Ditto! I’m glad that she’s still working, but I hope she has made sure to leave time to rest and heal. 

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#41
Posted: 2/11/18 at 8:15pm
Very sad news
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#42
Posted: 2/11/18 at 8:17pm

This is ineffably sad.

Jan Maxwell was flawless in her craft and acted and sang with intelligence and wit and delicious humor. Just seeing her was a gift, and chatting with her after Follies, as we crossed the street in front of the Watergate on the way to our hotels, she in her wig stocking and we thrilled to recognize her, was a blessing from the theater gods and goddesses.

Thank you, Miss Maxwell. I'm sure the angels gave you a standing ovation on your entrance today.
BIG BALONEY Profile PhotoBIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#43
Posted: 2/11/18 at 8:34pm
A great loss to all of us.Jan Maxwell was a major star on the New York stages. She was a classic icon. I knew Jan retired but not the real serious reason why.
castlestreet Profile Photocastlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#44
Posted: 2/11/18 at 8:41pm
This one hurts very badly

RIP Ms Maxwell
BroadwayBrat
Stand-by
Stand-by
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#45
Posted: 2/11/18 at 9:32pm

Such sad news.  She was such a talent and I loved her performance in Follies.  Rest in peace.

adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#46
Posted: 2/11/18 at 10:40pm
I hope they dim the lights for her. She deserves it.
jv92 Profile Photojv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#47
Posted: 2/11/18 at 11:14pm

Jan Maxwell gave one of those unforgettable performances (for me, anyway) as Phyllis in FOLLIES in 2011. (Her colleague, Danny Burstein, did the same thing as Buddy.) This news hits me like a ton of bricks. Despite her announced retirement, I had hoped for a grand return. She was a true creature of the stage, and we were lucky to have her. I send my condolences to her colleagues, her loved ones, and her family. She will live on in the memories of the many very lucky theatregoers who saw her for a long time to come. 

John Verderber

Dolly80
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#48
Posted: 2/11/18 at 11:56pm
What a terribly sad announcement. A wonderfully talented lady and a class act. Rest in peace dear Jan.
 Musical Master Profile Photo Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#49
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:13am

Terrible news indeed...

Jan Maxwell was an unforgettable Phyllis and deserved all the praise that was showered upon her. A great performer in her own right and a terrible shame that she left us too soon. May she rest in peace with the angels.

Broadway_Boy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
R.I.P. Jan Maxwell#50
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:30am

She was in the first Broadway show I ever saw, The Sound of Music.  I also got to see her in everything she did on Broadway since Chitty Bang Bang, which included all five of her tony nominated performances as well as some off-broadway plays. I've gotten to be in some pretty exciting rooms with some pretty exciting people through my job and she was one of the very few who never let her success get to her head and treated the intern (ME) the same way she did Mr. Sondheim.  

This was my favorite as a teenager. Worth watching the whole thing.  

https://youtu.be/-GqwYG92tIE

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR