Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sueb1863 Profile Photosueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#302
Posted: 7/21/19 at 7:36pm

MadAboutTheBoy said: "One question that's been on my mind for years: Hasthe cat who gets chosen to go to the Heavyside Layer (Grizabella) expended all of his or her nine lives and so then goes into permanent retirement, never to be seen again? And what happens to the other cats who are not chosen?Or is the Heavyside Layer a regenerative limbo between each of a cat's nine lives? Why is the Heavyside Layer a desirable place to be?"

They've never gone into any of those details. All that's ever said about the Heaviside Layer is that it's "full of wonders one Jellicle only will see". Sounds pretty lonely actually. Not sure if it's supposed to be Heaven or if it's just a super awesome cat wonderland. The chosen cat 'comes back to a different Jellicle life' but they don't say what that means, exactly. I wouldn't think the cat would die as that doesn't seem like something they'd be super eager to do. I guess the other cats just go home resolved to try again next year.

I don't think we were ever meant to really think about it too much. It's just a device pulled from Eliot's work to make up a plot to hang the songs on.

Updated On: 7/22/19 at 07:36 PM
Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile PhotoAdo Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#303
Posted: 7/22/19 at 10:50am

Really Useful Group intern on drop-day be like...

CATS Film Adaptation Thread

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com
ActorGuyIL
Understudy
Understudy
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#304
Posted: 7/22/19 at 12:07pm

Somebody may have posted this already - but this was my first thought - Doctor Who did it better!

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2019-07-19/doctor-who-did-it-better-fans-say-of-new-cats-trailer/

Babe_Williams Profile PhotoBabe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#305
Posted: 7/22/19 at 1:10pm

This looks like an absolute trainwreck, and I say this as an ALW apologist.

That said, I'm here for it.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile PhotoCape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#306
Posted: 7/22/19 at 2:51pm

Jacaranda2 said: "Cats don't have nine lives. The average lifespan of an indoor cat is 15 years. For a street cat, not much more than 2 years. The oldest any of my cat companions lived was 20. My pal "Maxie" is now 17 years old."

Wow thanks for posting this incredibly useful and relevant information. Until now I actually thought a cat could die nine times in real life. Thanks for clearing that up!

Next you'll tell me that cats can't actually sing and dance.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#307
Posted: 7/22/19 at 3:55pm

The difference between this and Will Smith's Genie is, IMO, that Aladdin had a built-in audience: all of the now-grown up kids who are nostalgic for the original, and their children. I don't really know a ton of people who are nostalgic for Cats. Overall, I don't really know who this movie is for.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 7/22/19 at 03:55 PM
Impossible2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#308
Posted: 7/22/19 at 4:21pm

CATS Film Adaptation Thread

sueb1863 Profile Photosueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#309
Posted: 7/27/19 at 6:36pm

I imagine they will be making some pretty big cuts to the score. I can't imagine they'd do the Pekes and Pollicles battle with the Rumpus Cat, for example.

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#310
Posted: 7/29/19 at 3:44am

Having watched the trailer two thoughts occurred

1 )This will make the  A Chorus Line film a success by comparison 

2) this would be cool to watch stoned.

Bet there's a demographic they didn't think to pursue!

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin ā€œIā€™m going to have to science the shit outta this.ā€ The Martian
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#311
Posted: 7/29/19 at 10:43am

This trailer has become one of the biggest jokes in the entertainment industry.  Everyone who has been asked to comment about it had the same reaction we all did.  Not one person had anything positive to say and their responses were quite colorful.   

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile PhotoAdo Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#312
Posted: 7/29/19 at 12:01pm

I still want to see this in theaters, if only for the experience! Then again, I thought THE DISASTER ARTIST was the funniest book ever so I may be campier than I thought I was.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com
Pashacar
Understudy
Understudy
CATS Film Adaptation Thread#313
Posted: 7/29/19 at 12:01pm

Babe_Williams said: "This looks like an absolute trainwreck, and I say this as an ALW apologist.

That said, I'm here for it.
"

My thinking exactly -- it's going to be a great hate watch. In truth, I can't remember the last time I've been this excited for a movie. Not sure how commercially viable that is, but hey.

Page: 13