Printer Friendly - re: Can you call 'Cats' a musical?

Can you call "Cats" a musical?
Posted by M.Berger 2006-05-27 06:41:21

I recently went to see the show and thought that it was more kind of a revue...
Because in my way of thinking the word "musical", afer all a short cut for "musical play" or "musical comedy", implies dialogues, which Cats doesn't have at all or some kind of story, which Cats lacks, too.
To me it looked like a great opportunity for talented dancers/singers to prove their abilities, as well as for set designers/ lighting designers etc.
But a "musical" in the original sense of the word? What do you think?

re: Can you call 'Cats' a musical?
Posted by elphaba432 2006-05-27 07:20:10

I think it's a musical because it does have songs in it.

Posted by M.Berger 2006-05-27 07:52:47

A revue often contains songs, too!
Same thing with operas (though you call it Aria here)...

Posted by elphaba432 2006-05-27 08:47:56

I have a new answer. It's a musical because before 'Phantom' it was the longest running MUSICAL in Broadway history.

Posted by WickedGeek28 2006-05-27 08:48:32

Yes. It's in a theatre and the cast sings. Why wouldn't it be?

Posted by ComaBaby01 2006-05-27 10:05:18

first of all...

"It's a musical because before 'Phantom' it was the longest running MUSICAL in Broadway history."

major kudos, elphaba. this show's extremely underappreciated.

second, it's most definitely a musical. for one thing, its quite challenging to find a revue show that succeeds at establishing a plot (if you're clever enough to figure it out.. not hard). If i had to classify Cats as anything but a musical it would probably have to be an operetta.

Posted by Jon 2006-05-27 10:29:01

I call it a "mew-sical"!

Posted by EponineAmneris 2006-05-27 10:30:05

Yes CATS is a musical.

Posted by M.Berger 2006-05-27 10:50:57

if you're clever enough to figure it out.. not hard

Thank you very much ... Of course it has a main IDEA (rebirth of one of the cats etc...) but you can't call this a story, because they don't do anything to figure out who is gonna be the cat which will be reborn - they could just ask Old Deuteronomy. And that Deuteronomy disappears for about 5 minutes is just there to invite the magical cat (forgot its name)...

I mean it's more general: What IS a musical? Is it really enough to have people who sing and dance on a stage? Or people coming to it (for the "it's the longest running show" etc.-agrgument)?

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-05-27 10:56:30

Yes, it is very much a musical. And I hate the whole, "Cats does not have a plot" argument. Here is the plot for you:

Every year, these Jellicle Cats have a Jellicle ball where they gather and Old Deuteronomy (symbolic of God) decides who among them are worthy enough to be reborn again and live another life. Throughout the musical, the cats introduce themselves and each other to show Old Deuteronomy and the audience why they are the best candidate to be born again, but it is Grizabella who has won that honor because she has lived a full life and is now shuned by all of the cats (Symbolic of "The meek shall inherit"). To me, Macavity represents Satan or something similar by trying to cause the Jellicle ball to be stopped by kidnapping Old Deuteronomy so no cat is chosen to be reborn.

Now, I thought of that within 5 minutes of sitting here. So, yes . . . there is a plot and it is a musical.

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-05-27 10:59:43

Well, COMPANY is nothing but an idea. Even in the PBS special about Broadway, Sondheim says that there is no underlying plot. It is just snap shots within a man's life. So, would you call that a musical?

Posted by Gothampc 2006-05-27 11:01:17

My idea of "revue" is something that has sketches intertwined with songs. Sugar Babies would be a revue.

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-05-27 11:03:52

Also, A CHORUS LINE is similar to CATS in many aspects. All these people are fighting to be in this show and they each tell their personal stories, hoping that Michael will choose them to be in his chorus line. Yes, it hits a more personal chord to people because these characters are "real" and not cats and you can understand at least one of these people's struggles and life stories. But, in aspects, it is the very similar with the concept of an "idea."

Posted by Maureen_Johnson 2006-05-27 11:05:08

Any theatrical production where the cast sings is a musical, no matter how developed the plot. So both Company and Cats are musicals.

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-05-27 11:07:09

Yes, COMPANY is very much a musical. That was my point. Just because it lacks one or two elements of other "musicals," does not mean it is not a musical.

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-05-27 11:07:11

Double the post, Double the pleasure!

Posted by Wanna Be A Foster 2006-05-27 11:07:41

I can call 'Cats' whatever I want to call 'Cats' thank you very much.

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-05-27 11:08:17

hahaha. Well, HUZZAH!!

Posted by inlovewithjerryherman 2006-05-27 11:09:23

I like to refer to "Cats" as the show that marks the de-evoultion of the musical theatre.

Easily THE example of the collapse of the musical theatre as an art form.

Posted by stagemom3 2006-05-27 11:09:32

I prefer to call it the Spanish Inquisition, an implement of torture. Geez I hate this thing.

Posted by jasonf 2006-05-27 11:14:16

I don't like Cats -- I think the "plot," what little there is of it, is ludicrous. There is no criteria established for how or why a cat is chosen, and indeed the show comes off as just a series of character sketches rather than any sort of actual play with a conflict. I mean, no one CARES who gets picked, or from what I remember of it when I saw it, understood that that was even what was happening until the end.

That said, it IS a musical - just not one I like very much.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2006-05-27 12:38:39

I wouldn't be adverse to calling "Cats" an opera since I already consider "Evita" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" to be operas due to their lack of a book or spoken dialogue. I have always considered "Cats" to be a musical, though. It does have a plot. It has an extremely detailed through line narrative if you choose to look closely enough. It's clear to me that a great deal of thought went into the devising of the order in which things needed to occur in order to tell that story better. It starts off during "The Invitation to the Jellicle Ball" letting you know exactly what the story is and then by the end of the night raps things up with the prostitute Grizabella's being chosen to start life anew.

The poems by Eliot are brilliant. The amount of creativity that went into them, and the wealth of knowledge one very much needs in order to understand each verse, and the comedy, tragedy and underlying themes presented in each one is a difficult task. I will even admit to not being able to understand, sometimes, Eliot's very sophisticated British phrasing.

It is very much a "concept" show due to the fact that T.S. Eliot had drawn up "sketches" for the purpose of using and incorporating the poems into an "evening" and I've always been rather impressed as opposed to finding it ludicrous that Webber, Nunn and Lynn were able to construct an evening of musical theatre, after Eliot's death, with the ban that the Eliot estate put on the inclusion of original material. They were therefor forced to create a "plot" using the unpublished poems of Grizabella, Eliot's "Rhapsody on a Windy Night" and fragments based on two phrases:

"Jellicle cats come out tonight, Jellicle cats come one come all. The Jellicle moon is shining bright, Jellicles come to the Jellicle Ball".

and the unpublished idea of Eliot's that a cat would eventually travel "Up, Up, Up past the Russell Hotel. and "Up, Up, Up to the Heaviside Layer".

It is very much a story of redemption and exceptance that ends up being a heavy subject matter for a show that is often considered to be a children's musical.

Posted by jimnysf 2006-05-27 13:12:27

I HATE "Cats" and I don't think it can be compared in any way to "A Chorus Line". "Cats" is awful. "A Chorus Line" is brilliant.

Posted by Jazzysuite82 2006-05-27 14:02:21

Cats doesn't have a real plot. I think it's more of a theme. All I've read here doesn't really point to plot. I must admit that sitting in the theatre people didn't really get what was going on. I found myself saying "Ok so a cat will be reborn. That's nice". I really didn't care much. I mean for me there has to generally be an antagonist and protagonist for a real plot. Someone's got to want something and have an obsticle. Usually the play will be about how this person overcomes this obsticle or doesn't. In Cats, It's just a bunch of people doing tricks. I don't see any major obsticle that the cats work to overcome. If you're thinking the other cats then the stakes simply aren't high enough. Frankly you don't get a sense of any of that. You don't really know what's going on. With a work like Eliot's Cats, you need to SHOW what's going on. IT IS theatre.

If you look at Company, Bobby the central character wants a relationship a serious one. What is the obsticle? Fear. Fear of failure, etc. The show is about how Bobby deals with it. I think it's interesting that the end of the play doesn't answer the question...much like Caroline or Change. But those are loose plots. However, they're all musicals.

SOndheim and Michael John say that the difference between a musical and other forms is where they are played. Is it an operahouse with an opera audience? OR is it The Gershwin with the theatre crowd. I think esp now days that's the only way to really seperate them.

Posted by sondheimboy2 2006-05-27 14:07:45

I call it a crime against God and Nature....

John Guare put it best in "Six Degrees of Separation" when he has one character say, "You saw 'Cats' and you hated it. You said Aesculus did not invent drama so that we can find out which chorusboy goes to "Kitty cat Heaven..."

Posted by best12bars 2006-05-27 14:13:33

spiderdj82---I like your plot synopsis for Cats. And I'm always a bit baffled as to why others say there is no plot.

It's so obviously there, if you don't "close off" to it.

And I agree with the comparison to A Chorus Line. A group of dancers all hoping to be chosen at a single event (the audition). Stepping forward and telling their stories. Waiting for "God" to make a decision as to who gets to move to the next level.

It IS the same plot.

Posted by jimnysf 2006-05-27 14:20:12

"It IS the same plot.".

If you say so, but one is brilliant, "A Chorus Line". One is dreadful, "Cats".

Posted by FranklinShepard-Inc. 2006-05-27 14:34:45

I disagree, Best12bars. In A Chorus Line there is a process of selection that is in a way rational. In Cats however nothing really connects that way, it all is totally coincidental. That said, I still think it is a musical, because I consider the genre being very wide spread from the late operetta's to modern concept shows and, as much as I lament about it, even jukebox shows.

Posted by Scarywarhol 2006-05-27 15:51:34

What ever it is...

...I hate it.
With a passion.
I think Cats is the worst show I have ever seen, and I saw "In My Life" and "Ring of Fire."

Posted by jimnysf 2006-05-27 15:59:44

"Cats" once was the worst show I ever saw as well. However, "Lestat" has taken over that spot. I was lucky that "Ring of Fire" skipped it's scheduled San Francisco engagement and went from Buffalo straight to NYC.

Posted by pandajen14 2006-05-27 16:10:08

It is a musical...

But not a good one.

Posted by Look_Out_Broadway 2006-08-11 22:51:38

hello!!! So CATS seems to me to be the most misunderstood musical by everyone here!!! Obviously!!!. And let me tell you what CATS is really about cause you obviously are idiots!!! :) So first of all, no one has pointed out that the WHOLE show the CATS are communicating to the auidence... So in my opinion the show is breaking the 4th wall and trying to get the auidence involved with the show somehow. Now its not mean conflict, but the CATS are creating a conflict with the auidence and making you feel like your with the CATS... I know that's kinda weird sounding but i can't put this into words ish... And second of all its based on a book of poems!!! Poems don't have evil conflict in them (usually) and like some have said, its more a themed musical than it is a conflict musical!!! In my opinion, people hate CATS because they watch it and all they wanna do is critique it... HELLO!!!!! Get your heads out of your asses and enjoy something for once!!! Think about it afterward... And like people have said, it is underappreciated, I mean it won so many awards and Best Musical, so it can't be as bad as ya'll think it really is!!!

Posted by ThankstoPhantom 2006-08-11 23:04:19

I feel that there is some form of rational decision making on Old Deaut's part...if you notice, all of the cats are very full of themselves and talk about how incredible they are...but Grizabella stands out as the one who realizes that these great qualities can come and go...and she regrets the mistakes she's made and realizes that she is not the greatest cat in all the world...her humility is what gets her chosen. So, like A Chorus Line where the most talented wins the role, the one cat who has the most humility is reborn.

Posted by ghostlight2 2006-08-11 23:12:32

"hello!!! So CATS seems to me to be the most misunderstood musical by everyone here!!! Obviously!!!. And let me tell you what CATS is really about cause you obviously are idiots!!! :)"

Well, Broadway is pleased to be warned, Look_Out_Broadway. Welcome?

And if CONTACT can be called a musical, certainly CATS can.

Posted by blueroses 2006-08-11 23:17:35

Oh, I can't help it. I absolutely loved CATS. I saw it when I was a little girl and was completely enthralled.

I did, however, get a huge kick out of Mario Cantone's hilarious snarkfest of the show in Laugh Whore (Jellicle Cats).

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-08-11 23:21:46

I think it is pretty boring to watch since I am not really into ballet and such, but I like the music a lot. I just really don't get when people say, "It was horrible . . . it had no plot," when it does but they are just being naive and critical towards it.

Posted by blaxx 2006-08-11 23:39:32

I think a lot of people have a problem trying to understand that a lot of these shows are called musicals, because that is the way they are identified, not only as musical compositions, but as the musical theatre productions we see nowadays - it's just easier to categorize them that way (imagine if they had to separate them by rock operas, musical comedies, revues, etc.)

For those same simple reasons, CATS is a musical, but of course, you identified it has other elements... it can be close to a cantata for example.

Posted by friedrichVT 2006-08-12 00:14:38

Contact won best musical...no singing,no speaking....a dance concert to pre-recorded music...go figure. Ain't Broadway Grand?

Posted by Isabella2 2006-08-12 00:47:01

"major kudos, elphaba. this show's extremely underappreciated."

UNDERAPPRECIATED? are you KIDDING me? It ran for like what, 20 years and is loved by every putty headed idiot nation wide. how is that underappreciated?

Oh, wait i get what your saying, underappreciated by people with intelligence... right.

Honestly, and this is the nicest way i can put it. CATS is a joke. It a musical that should have never been sent to broadway. A musical unworthy of the title "musical". In my mind, a terrible piece of crap.

Posted by EdmundOG 2006-08-12 09:31:39

I say why call cats anything? They don't come when you call them.

Posted by jv92 2006-08-12 09:48:26

Cats is fluff. I mean, most musical comedies are, but this is bad fluff. It's boring fluff. No good songs. No good jokes. Just a bunch of people running around in Cat costumes.

Posted by Look_Out_Broadway 2006-08-12 11:58:46

to ghostlight2, "welcome?" meaning what??? and i've finally decided that you can't like CATS or think its good... you love it or you hate it!!!!!

Posted by mikeyb16 2006-08-12 12:48:07

i'd say CATS is mainly Musical Type too. I recently saw the 25th Anniversary UK Tour and i can honestly say it was really good. Alot of you can say what you want but i'm just being honest of my opinion

Posted by kover22 2006-08-12 12:54:37

CATS is the reason that I love Broadway!! It was the first show I saw on Broadway and I will never forget it. I am sad that so many people don't like this show. It has beautiful dancing, beautiful songs, humor and amazing people have portryed the characters. What is not to love?? I even like the plot!!! JMO

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-12 14:29:35

"I like to refer to "Cats" as the show that marks the de-evoultion of the musical theatre.

Easily THE example of the collapse of the musical theatre as an art form."

Yeah. Musical theater as an art form has really hit bottom. Since it first appeared on Broadway we've had "Sweeny Todd", "Sunday in the Park", "Ragtime", "The Lion King", "Parade", "Urinetown", "Avenue Q", "Light in the Piazza", and "Les Miserables" (you can name another 10, I'm certain) that have been artistically exceptionally well-crafted.)

A snob might suggest, in the same vein, that the evolution of R&B was a seminal element in the deevolution of big bands.

A pity. Just think how textually richer the world would have been today if every artist aspired to be the mext Benny Goodman or Tommy Dorsey and had not R&B ultimately inspired those radicals Elvis, Buddy, Holly, and the Beattles.

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-12 14:35:07

"Cats" is awful. "A Chorus Line" is brilliant.'

Absolutely. It's infinitley more ingenius to sit down with a tape recorder, record the stories of 1,500 Broadway dancers, and to musicalize that than it is to take a collection of poems by T.S. Elliot written for hsi grandcholdren and create a piece of theater that results in one of the most famous 10:30 songs in the history of musical theater.

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-12 14:40:03

"I call it a crime against God and Nature... ."

No matter how many times I experience it, I'm still completely dumbfounded by expressions of abject contempt for a piece of theater that doesn't arise to certain standards while often the same people who voice such contmept are silent when an exhibition features a statue of the Virgin Mary covered in excrement.

We live in interesting times.

Posted by Fiction Writer 2006-08-12 14:58:23

I love CATS.
Always will.
I think the people who don't like (AKA 99% of the people here) are just snotty little ****s who can't appreciate good entertainment.
I hate how CATS has such a bad rep. Appreciate it for what it is: a terrific dance show with great songs and great characters.
And it DOES have a plot, however small it may be.

Posted by TomMonster 2006-08-12 16:43:44

I worked on the original Broadway production and was involved with the creative team, and trust me, they were not trying to make any kind of "plot" musical. Trevor created some sort of thru-line but that's it. The show had more or less made its money back before casting was even finished and during rehearsals numbers were moved around randomly with no build-up of tension. If it "felt" good they kept it.

Most of the people involved (with the exeption of ALW and a few others) didn't think much of the show either...but most didn't care because they were all raking in the cash!

So glad they've changed that litter box. Now only if we could get Mama to leave town...

Posted by matt schneider 2006-08-12 16:46:23

I heard that musicals have all 3 aspects of theatre

opras dont have dance

plays dont have songs

and jukebox musicals dont have words

So it is a jukebox musical in my opinion. Haven't seen it since I was 8, and fell asleep after 3/4th of it, so I'm not sure.

Posted by Mr Roxy 2006-08-12 16:48:12

Not too much sophistication in theater going public if Cats plays for a zillion years & Amour flops

Posted by jimnysf 2006-08-12 17:24:00

I hate "Cats" and especially the song, "Memory". Being famous does not make it good. It's one of the most over recorded songs ever. It's right up there on my most hated song list with "Feelings", "Honey", "The Pina Colada Song" and "Loving You" (la la la la la, la la la la la, you're beautiful).

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-12 18:33:07

"It's one of the most over recorded songs ever. It's right up there on my most hated song list with "Feelings", "Honey", "The Pina Colada Song" and "Loving You" (la la la la la, la la la la la, you're beautiful)."

--None of which have been covered by Streisand, Domingo, Dame Kiri, Jose Carreras, Mandy Patimkin, or any of the other premier vocalists of our time ( and the other 170 or so whose names escape me)--or is there a CD out there somewhere with Streisand singing "Honey".

I guess these artists line up to do ALW's music because they just don't get how trite his compositions are.

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-12 19:07:19

"opras dont have dance"

That's going to break my girlfriend's heart. She auditioned in May and was selected to dance in the Metropolitan Opera's 2007 production of "The First Emperor".

"plays dont have songs"

Ever see "A Soldier's Play"? "The Piano Lesson"? "Masterclass"?

"jukebox musicals dont have words"

What were those strange sounds then coming out of the mouths of the performers in "Rocky Mountain High", "Ring of Fire", "Lennon", and "Smokey Joe's Cafe" when the performers weren't singing?

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-12 19:31:31

"It ran for like what, 20 years and is loved by every putty headed idiot nation wide."

He wasn't an American but do you include Sir John Mills in your list of putty headed idiots?

Posted by jimnysf 2006-08-12 20:44:22

"Cats" is awful. Period. I didn't say that Streisand sang "Honey". I said that song was up there on my personal list of hated songs. Maybe you have cat hair in your eyes? "It's right up there on my most hated song list" is what I said.

Posted by mikeyb16 2006-08-13 15:41:10

I think 'Memory' is a great song. Elaine Paige was wonderful singing that song in 1981 and 1998. Dianne Pilkington (Whom plays Grizabella in the current CATS UK Tour) rocked the house down when i saw it at the end of June!

Posted by TomMonster 2006-08-13 15:47:20

Just for the record: "Memory" is Bolero slowed down. Once again, ALW did NOT write the tune...he lifted it!

And recording artists will record his stuff because it sells, not necessarily because they like it. Hey, he steals from great stuff, so who wouldn't like to record Puccini or Ravel?

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-13 20:50:37

"Just for the record: "Memory" is Bolero slowed down. Once again, ALW did NOT write the tune...he lifted it!"

Just for the record, can you prove that? Let's start with the bridge of the song.

Posted by TomMonster 2006-08-13 20:55:53

Note for note, the main melody is the same as Ravel's. So he was able to come up with a bridge. Wow.

Sorry, he brings out the bitch in me.

When I worked with him on the show, we would tease him by playing the original tune he lifted and sing the lyric over it. He was usually amused. He's got plagiarism insurance, so it doesn't cost him much when he is sued.

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-13 20:56:22

"And like people have said, it is underappreciated,"

...Only be the elitists who have a chronic case of reda$$ concerning ALW or those intellectual fascists who attempt to ram their aescetic down the throat of those who enjoy certain entertainments they loathe.

I shouldn't really admit this but I was never keen on "The Producers" but since it has been so incredibly well received I suppose the problem is within me--not the show.

Posted by Hawker 2006-08-13 21:00:02

"Sorry, he brings out the bitch in me."

That certainly explains things. It's not business, Sonny, it's personal.

By the way, you are aware that Shakespeare lifted entire speeches and Frost even pointed out to critics where he used passages from other peoms in "Stopping by woods".

As far as trivializing his accomplishment with "Memory" because he added a bridge to "Bolero" and made a pile of money doing it, perhaps you should try the same with Fur Elise, slow it down, add a bridge, and see what happens. Maybe it's alittle more complicated than you think.

Or how about this: take Yeats' "Lake Isle at Innisfree" and musicalize it in such a way that after hearing it once, you can humm it.

Posted by TomMonster 2006-08-13 21:11:29

I have no problem with using resources to develop one's own work. I do have a problem with not giving credit for the source.

And I know exactly how complicated it is. I've had my music played all over the world too, so stop being so rude.

It's funny how the rude ones never have anything in their profiles about themselves...what are you hiding from?

Posted by aspiringactress 2006-08-13 21:31:26

I think it's really more of a themed ballet concert staged musically infused spectal extravaganza (okay, now 3 times fast).

Seriously, it is what it is. It's CATS. There's not much logic there to begin with (not neccesarilly a bad thing, mind you) so why read into it? There's a 'theme' and a very thin 'plot', but nothing of real substance. It's the 'bring a group together with something in common, and go from there (company, a chorus line, assassins among others), type of show.

And has anyone ever seen ALW credit other composers when he lifts their music? I've never seen it happen and it bothers me.

Posted by TomMonster 2006-08-13 21:41:40

Never has. Would have been considered a genius if he did it for Phantom! Using other opera themes to write about an opera house. He did use the themes, but put his own name on it! Shameful at beast, I mean best...

Posted by aspiringactress 2006-08-13 21:44:40

Oh, Phantom is the WORST, because it is all so OBVIOUS.

Is there any available innformation about lawsuits?

Posted by TomMonster 2006-08-13 22:12:34

Not sure. I think part of the settlement is no talking about them. But be sure there have been suits!

Posted by balletandbroadway 2006-08-13 22:17:20

Goodness jasonf, I agree... I hate "Cats" with a burning passion...