Printer Friendly - re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!

Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by Hank 2003-10-01 11:15:02

Yay! Sutton Foster finally gets her name above the title in today's NY Times theatre diectory, along with co-stars Leslie Uggams, and Delta Burke.

re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by voiceanth 2003-10-01 11:19:18

Oh my god, thank god!

This is the best news I've heard in some time!

Now, when Jessica takes over the role will she get solo above the title or will she share?

re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by Al Dente 2003-10-01 11:24:26

Wow and she only had to wait 2 YEARS to get it.

re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by robbiej 2003-10-01 11:25:30

AND she has to share it with two other people.

I may not like her performance very much (and I certainly hated the show) but it is about time that workhorse gets above the title.

re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by voiceanth 2003-10-01 11:28:30

Should they then call it "sorta-star billing"...

re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by BoxOfficeJon 2003-10-01 11:33:02

I enjoy the movie. Is the stage production really not that good or is it a good show. It is one of those I want to see but have yet had the chance to.

Posted by Gothampc 2003-10-01 11:33:32

Sutton should dump her agent. When a Broadway actor wins a Tony Award usually their agent begins negotiations to get more for the actor, including over the title billing.

Posted by MasterLcZ 2003-10-01 11:37:25

Robbiej, you mirrored my feelings exactly.

Not crazy about her or the show, but Missy sure works her ass off.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2003-10-01 11:40:50

I am curious....what is it about her performance that you didn't like? Although I am not crazy over her, I think she gave a decent and overall enjoyable performance. However, I do still go with my feelings that I know some girls who could do what she's doing, just as well, or even better.

Posted by FFARLS 2003-10-01 11:42:00

She has been out both times I saw it... and I was very dissapointed each time. The movie is much much better than the show. But, anyway, good for her.

re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by robbiej 2003-10-01 11:44:41

I will go on record as saying I love that movie. One rainy Saturday, when I was about 11, I was flipping through the channels, desperate for something to watch. Suddenly, I see this movie about to begin starring Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Channing. I thought, 'This could be a good way to spend the day'. 40 hours later (man that's a loooong movie), I just couldn't believe what I had seen. At a young age, I already had a highly developed sense of camp (I was the boy, after all, who when watching the Neighborhood of Make Believe section of MR. RODGERS, thought, 'Of course that puppet is called Lady Elaine...cause she looks JUST like Elaine Strich!' I knew who Elaine Stritch was at age 6. How? I don't know.)

The movie is a take-off of THE BOYFRIEND. It's ludicrous, silly, campy, outrageous and FUN! I feel the stage musical stripped every ounce of joy and individuality from the movie. Sutton Foster, a talented girl, did not have the archness required for the role. Indeed, no one connected with the piece seemed to understand the source material or the genre it was based on. In the end, it had not enough camp to be true to the source material, but it's tounge place too much in its cheek to be a good, old fashioned NYC musical like WONDERFUL TOWN...or even 42nd STREET.

It's a middling work willed into existence by committee. People have enjoyed it...but not me.

Posted by WOSQ 2003-10-01 11:47:51

Delta Burke is a name beyond Broadway. If you want the world to know this TV star is in your show, then the 'name' has to be billed. Okay, so far, so good.

But the 'name' is not the lead or anything close to the lead, and also there is another semi-name in the show as well as the lead. What do you do?

Solution: give them all billing.

Its cheaper than a raise for a show whose receipts are dragging a bit.

What will be interesting to see is if the billing lasts once Delta departs.

Posted by WhatDoINeedWithLove? 2003-10-01 11:58:08

I dont understand how people dont love Millie and Sutton! I think Sutton is absolutly incredible! She is so much fun to watch and is so incredibly talented! And I love the show! It is fun. Granted it is not something that I discuss over coffee with friends, bc its simple, but that what is great!

but, oy! The movie is SOOOOOOOOOOO long!!!!! Im not a fan of the movie (except Julie Andrews is great and Mary Tyler Moore is adorable)! I also dislike The Boy Friend which is what the movie is quite similar to

Posted by SparkleLStar 2003-10-01 12:02:33

Awwww yay, that is so awesome. The show really has been dragging which is why they switched to Mondays - only several shows are open on Monday nights and this will bring in more people to their show. The addition of Delta Burke was also a good idea, she's VERY nice and when I was there, she was getting notes from the stage manager on blocking for her song and she was so excited to be there, you could tell. But YAY for Sutton, she deserves star billing!!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by tpdc 2003-10-01 13:04:31

I agree with you WOSQ. Burke wouldn't have accepted the role without over the title billing either. I would think the billing will go back to the original and tour style when Burke leaves unless they replace her with another equally well known name.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by Hank 2003-10-01 14:07:50

I also think Delta Burke had a lot to do with the star billing, but I'm happy for Sutton, nevertheless, she's the greatest!
As for Leslie Uggams, I saw her recently, and she is wonderful! That scene with her dressed as the modern near the end of the show is a hoot!

Posted by glitzguy3 2003-10-01 14:08:03

BOJon,

TMM is EXCELLENT! i enjoyed it thoroughly...and i thought that sutton was incredible. i know that others will not share my opinion, but i thought that it (and she) was WONDERFUL!

Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by BwayTheatre11 2003-10-01 15:23:48

I cannot wait to see this show! I think it will be great. I don't understand why people hate soo many shows these days. All of the older folks hate the new shows. You have to accept change. Some of them are horrible, but most are not THAT bad. I respect your opinions. I am not telling you to change your opinion, just telling you to expand your interests a little. Rock/pop is ok.

Posted by Hello Gorgeous 2003-10-01 15:27:12

Yay for Sutton! I think it's about time for that, even though she has to share it.

Posted by robbiej 2003-10-01 15:28:46

Being critical of MILLIE or any of the new shows does not in any way, shape or form mean a person has unexapanded (would that be 'collapsed'?) horizons.

Posted by BwayTheatre11 2003-10-01 15:34:00

I guess those were the wrong words...I just hate when people say how they hate a show and do not say why. All they say is "I HATE MILLIE!" "I HATE HAIRSPRAY!"

Posted by robbiej 2003-10-01 15:39:20

Well, BwayTheatre, I think that's a very good point.

I believe I explained (at least in part) why I was disappointed in the show. But yes, I too prefer hearing other's reasoning for both liking and disliking a show.

Posted by BwayTheatre11 2003-10-01 15:50:00

I was not talking about you RobbieJ, posters in general. I enjoy your posts!

Posted by BwayTheatre11 2003-10-01 15:51:09

By the way, congrats to Miss Foster!

Posted by billyweeds 2003-10-01 16:13:18

The show is so much better than the movie there is no comparison. The movie is overlong, drearily directed, largely laughless, and elephantine in general. The show is a delight. And Sutton Foster's performance is one of the most professional and starry on Broadway right now. She not only works her butt off, she is charismatic, hilarious, and possessed of a wonderful singing voice. Never was a Tony award more completely deserved. Now, as to her brother...and his (ugh!) costar...now THAT's a totally different story, better described as "The Sad Affair of Kerry Butler and Sutton's less charismatic bro."

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by robbiej 2003-10-01 17:18:29

And there you have another opinion.

Fascinating that we have completely divergent view on MILLIE, but agree on LSOH.

Posted by MusicMan 2003-10-01 20:40:57

"SUTTON GETS STAR BILLING!"

(Um, except she ain't a star. Hard-working, yes, but sorry, gang, she ain't got 'it.')

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by BroadwayGirl107 2003-10-01 23:29:16

Sorry MusicMan, she is a star. If she ain't got "it" who does?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by MusicMan 2003-10-02 01:46:39

A star is someone who sells tickets. Put Sutton Foster in another show and maybe her brother will come.

Posted by Musetta1957 2003-10-02 03:44:42

"Sutton Foster finally gets her name above the title in today's NY Times theatre diectory, along with co-stars Leslie Uggams, and Delta Burke."

Oooh, more 16 year olds who want to be Sutton -- er, I mean people who'll bellyache when she's not on!

Posted by BroadwayGirl107 2003-10-02 15:46:45

MusicMan you're confusing me! lol...First you say she isn't a star because "she aint got it." Now she's not a star because she can't sell tickets. Of course she's no big box office name. Sutton does have a fan following, but it's very small...too small to make much of a difference at the box office. So you are right on that end. But at first you seemed to be referrign to her talent.

Posted by JohnPopa 2003-10-02 15:51:54

Really, Bernadette Peters is probably the ONLY performer who genuinely sells tickets. Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick at this point. If we're demanding our stars to be ticket draws, we're asking the producers to completely change how shows and talent are marketed, presented and fostered.

Posted by MusicMan 2003-10-02 20:57:11

Exactly, BroadwayGirl. She won't sell tickets 'cuz she ain't a star cuz she ain't got 'it' cuz she won't sell tickets cuz she ain't a star cuz she ain't got 'it' cuz...

Posted by BroadwayGirl107 2003-10-02 21:14:31

See this is the funny thing, you seem to beleive that the more famous a person is (meaning they are a bigger star) measures their talent. I guess that mean Britney Spears is far more talented than anyone on Broadway, and there has NEVER been an unknown that was better than a name. In fact, I guess that means John Secada is simply amazing as the emcee and Melanie Griffith is the best of all Roxy Harts. I guess this also means that Bernadette Peters is the most talented theatre based performer out there, because she's certainly the most famous.

Just because Sutton isn't wildly famous, and can't draw ticket sales doesn't mean she isn't an incredibly talented performer, because she most certainly is, whether you like her or not. I think you're a bit confused there buddy...

Posted by newyorkuniq 2003-10-02 21:23:04

what??? Jessica Simpson in Millie!!???...please god no. I just vomited on myself. oy vei

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by BroadwayGirl107 2003-10-02 21:27:55

according to musicman, that's the way to go, since she's a star and sutton isnt. Where's voiceanth? I know he wants Jessica in Millie, haha.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by MusicMan 2003-10-02 23:50:59

Didn't say Ms. Foster didn't have ability, BroadwayGirl, I said she isn't a star. 'Nuff said.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by Seany 2003-10-03 02:18:46

Sutton is a Goddess. One of the most talented and beautiful actresses to ever grace the Broadway stage.

MY PERSONAL OPINION! Please don't hurt me!

I LOVE YOU SUTTON!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by Michelleruth 2003-10-03 07:23:55

Congrats to Sutton! I saw the show and loved it! She is fabulous!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by BroadwayGirl107 2003-10-03 16:14:36

YAY, Seany took the words right out of my mouth, haha.

MusicMan, you lack short term memory, go back and read your posts, you said that sutton aint got it, then you claimed you never referred to her talent. Usually when someoen refers to "it" it's talent-wise.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by MasterLcZ 2003-10-03 16:31:59

Actually, BG, I don't think anybody here thinks Sutton is talent-free. I think she has a lot of energy and sings and dances up a storm. What I think she lacks is charm and that little quirky 'something extra' that separates a star from a very hard working featured player.

And nobody's gonna hurt you for your opinions, Seany. Unless you WANT us to!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by sheekala 2003-10-03 16:36:01

Right on Master! I did hear that Sutton has strange healing powers and can fly.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by MusicMan 2003-10-04 08:43:49

Precisely, Master.
When people say "it," BroadwayGirl, they mean charisma or glamour or incredible sex appeal, none of which little Missy Foster brings to the table. I stand by my words.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by Hank 2003-10-04 17:46:13

I totally disagree with you, Music Man.
Sutton Foster has definitly got "it". She is the whole package: She can belt with the best of them, and yet she has, in my opinion, the pretiest voice ever. She is also a joy to watch as a comedic actress and as a dancer (Astair award). Many performers have won Tonys with just 2 out of 3 (ever hear Marrisa Winoker sing?)
Although she is not yet well known outside of the theatre community, Sutton Foster has certainly made a name for herself here. She is a legend in the making.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sutton gets star billing!
Posted by MusicMan 2003-10-04 23:30:34

Along side those other legends Wanda Richert and Karen Ziemba.
You're still confusing ability with charisma of which she has none. Enjoy her while you can cuz Millie is as good as she'll ever get. 'Nuff said.